Author Topic: Ice cleats  (Read 9585 times)

Offline Nuangola Susquehanna

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice cleats
« on: Oct 24, 2012, 07:45 PM »
..I'm looking for new cleats and I need some advice.  What's the best ice cleat for pack boots?

Thanks!

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice cleats
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Take look at the kahtoola micro spikes Im going to try them I think I always used the rubber HT but they go dull and I ve take a file to them but not worth it to me any more.Good luck.

Offline Nuangola Susquehanna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2012, 08:10 PM »
..I had a great pair of steel industrial cleats that wore out after 17 yrs of use.  The company is no longer and I'm somewhat skeptical of the newer stretch rubber styles.

..thanks

Offline The Busdriver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Kahtoola, I have a pair and really like them.  I ended up buying the best that I could find because I slipped on the ice a couple years ago and fractured my knee cap.  I will make sure that doesn't happen again.

Offline KDK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Kahtoola, pricy but good.  Just wish they where a bit larger, they just barely work on my size 15 Pac Boots
Life is simple, people make it complicated

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2012, 08:51 PM »

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:19 PM »
Last year I saw a set of cleats that looked like the bottom sole of a shoe and had the cleats in it which reminded me of a pair of golf shoes.  I can't remember who made them but I'm going to get a pair and try them.  I always used the rubber pull on cleats but my problem is finding a pair big enough to fit over my size 14 pack boots.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:23 PM »
Last year I saw a set of cleats that looked like the bottom sole of a shoe and had the cleats in it which reminded me of a pair of golf shoes.  I can't remember who made them but I'm going to get a pair and try them.  I always used the rubber pull on cleats but my problem is finding a pair big enough to fit over my size 14 pack boots.

Think you are talking about the Stabilicers. I have had a pair for about 7 years and stopped using them when I got my Arctic Spurs. The Stabilicers gripped real well but were kinda a pain to put on and squirmed under the boot some. Really like the Arctic Spurs because they are quick to take on and off. Too bad they stopped making them.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:26 PM »
I never heard of Arctic Spurs, what do they look like?  The ones I am talking about seemed to be pretty hard plastic / rubber but not so hard that they won't flex when you walk.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Stabilicers work great for me.  There is also a knock-off of them branded under HT for about half the price.  The actual screw in studs can be replaced in both.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2012, 12:25 AM »
Do they make them big enough to work with size 14 packs?  I have a set of Schnee's.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2012, 02:08 AM »

Microspikes work great, the way they are built remind me of skidder chains. :flex:

Offline The Dad Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2012, 05:16 AM »
Got this tip here a couple of years ago......Screws in the bottom of the boots.....works Pissah.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2012, 07:42 AM »
Do they make them big enough to work with size 14 packs?  I have a set of Schnee's.

They fit fine on my size 13s.  I think I went to the next size up from their recommended size chart.  I mainly put them on my mucks, but also on my pack boots and even on work boots too.  They have adjustments and velcro and such. 

Offline DaveW731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2012, 07:56 AM »
I love Yax Trax!  I've had Arctic spurs, HT and a couple others, but am staying with Yax.  What I like most is that they don't grip so hard that your feet stick to the ice.  I get a much more natural walk with them and as a result I am less tired at the end of the day than I was when I used the more traditional style cleats.
Regardless of what design you get, let me STRONGLY advise getting a pair that has grippers on the heels as well as under the front. 
"There is no failure, except in no longer trying"

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2012, 08:06 AM »
, let me STRONGLY advise getting a pair that has grippers on the heels as well as under the front.
I don't like only on the front kind either. Think I am going to make my own cleats this year. Removable of course so won't mess up anyone's floor. The ones I find are too small for my boots and too expensive.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2012, 08:15 AM »
I used IceTrekkers Diamond grips last year and was very happy with them on. I especially like that you can walk fairly normal with them on.

https://www.icetrekkers.com/

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2012, 08:21 AM »
I love Yax Trax!  I've had Arctic spurs, HT and a couple others, but am staying with Yax.  What I like most is that they don't grip so hard that your feet stick to the ice.  I get a much more natural walk with them and as a result I am less tired at the end of the day than I was when I used the more traditional style cleats.
Regardless of what design you get, let me STRONGLY advise getting a pair that has grippers on the heels as well as under the front.

that was one of reasons i chose the micro spikes , you can stand completely flat footed , and walk at a normal gate

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2012, 08:34 AM »
I never heard of Arctic Spurs, what do they look like?  The ones I am talking about seemed to be pretty hard plastic / rubber but not so hard that they won't flex when you walk.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/KAS20/N-A-1-pair-Arctic-Spurs

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2012, 09:14 AM »
I used IceTrekkers Diamond grips last year and was very happy with them on. I especially like that you can walk fairly normal with them on.

https://www.icetrekkers.com/
Needed a pair of cleats and bought the icetrekker chains, the Diamond and Spikes model weren't avaailable. Did okay if there was some light snow, but glare ice the "chains"  wanted to slide a bit.

Think I'll be picking up a pair of Kahtoola Micro Spikes the Backpacker Editors Choice Gold for 2012.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2012, 09:55 AM »
Needed a pair of cleats and bought the icetrekker chains, the Diamond and Spikes model weren't avaailable. Did okay if there was some light snow, but glare ice the "chains"  wanted to slide a bit.

Think I'll be picking up a pair of Kahtoola Micro Spikes the Backpacker Editors Choice Gold for 2012.

Yea, a buddy of mine with the chains as well and on the glare ice they just weren't up to part. The Diamond spikes worked great.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2012, 04:46 PM »
I have a pair of yak trax XTR and love them. I used to use the HT pull overs and then I had a pair of Cabelas boot chains. The chains would slip when I was drilling holes. The XTR's work great.
jbird68

Offline panfishpounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2012, 03:42 AM »
I also have a pair of yak track xtr.  They worked great but started coming apart.  I only had them for 1 season.  I Think I can repair them with a little bit of chain. 

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Aug 19, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Looking to get a set for my grandson, he is 16 and 6' so I'm looking for adult size.  Need something that will go over his Sorell boots.  Since he will be using tHem for many years I'm looking for something of great quality. Any help appreciated......Thank s!

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Aug 19, 2015, 09:18 PM »
kahtoola or hillsound

Offline aiathompson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Aug 19, 2015, 09:28 PM »
Kahtoola MICROspikes.  They run about $70 a set and are one of the best in my opinion.
Steve Thompson
Otter Outdoors Pro-Staff
Tougher. Stronger. Smarter.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #26 on: Aug 20, 2015, 01:17 AM »
 Vaughan you will get different opinions/answers to your question . Besides the Kahtoola Microspikes, Hillsound(which I have never heard of before seeing Ryan3703's post. There is a brand called Stabilicers which I use and like if you look through the Equipment and Dressing for Ice Fishing community/boards you will find other threads on this topic.
Steve

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #27 on: Aug 20, 2015, 01:29 AM »
I swear by these:  ICETrekkers Diamond Grip Traction Cleats, X-Large (Men's 13), Black

Find them on Amazon.  They work on the ice and I also use them on my waders when stream fishing for trout.
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Aug 20, 2015, 07:14 AM »
KAHTOLLA MICRO SPIKES ....buy and never look back ....hands downs the best...save some scratch and time . I have tried many of cleats ...none compare ...lil pricey I will admit ...but if I pooled all my money from the others I have bought and tried ...I would have two pairs.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #29 on: Aug 20, 2015, 08:13 AM »
kahtoola microspikes gets my vote.they fit over big boots too the xl size fits my size 13 mickeys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.