Author Topic: Anybody considering the new Shappell FX100  (Read 16952 times)

Offline Tobster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody considering the new Shappell FX100
« on: Oct 22, 2012, 09:55 AM »
I have been looking at this on their website, and it looks pretty good. I can't quite figure out how they get a fishing area that is 44" wide. If you have looked at this shanty I would love to hear your comments, good and bad.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Anybody considering the new Shappell FX100
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2012, 10:06 AM »
The sled is a square. The sled is 44X44.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2012, 10:12 AM »
The sled is a square. The sled is 44X44.
The sled is actually 44in long x 32in wide.
The poles taper outwards from the back of the the sled to 44in.
http://www.shappell.com/iceshelters/fxseriesflips.html
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2012, 10:36 AM »
I like the new schepell so much I went and bought one.  I wanted something easy and fast to set up and to be able to run and gun with.
 Its also American made in Michigan. I like the bend outs at the end of the ground hoop.  Thats helps keep the fabric away from the heater.  The sled is super light weight.  Which is a great help while trudging thru 6 plus inches of snow.  The bench seat has a fair to average rating but ill see how comfy it is this winter.  Regular seats weigh alot and I don't need to be pulling alot of weight thru the snow I am waiting for my cover and sled wear runners as both are a absolute necessity.  The cover keeps your gear dry and portable and the runners keep your sled botton from wearing and tearing.  The schepell was average to put together but not to difficult if you do the directions step by step.  Take your time setting up the tent over the hoops and make sure the sides don't flap to much as that would be a pain on windy days.   flip the hut up and down before locking in all the set screws on the base of the fabric.  Its very adjustable.
  I picked the schepell over the clam scout for 5 reasons.  #1 its made in the USA clam is not as far as I know/// #2 its 14 pounds lighter than the scout///#3  The schepell seems darker inside ///#4  I like the base hoop design and it makes it more roomy inside./////#5  The cover ,the runners and the hut are $10 cheaper or more each item saving me around $40 to buy more ice gear with. #6 The hoops lock with a mechanical lock so you can have a wind cover on those nice days you want to fish out in the open.  All in all I think I got my monies worth.
  I still like clam but when they went overseas they lost my loyalty to their product.  I want to buy American made.  And I did!  I look at it this way if my Michigan/ Minnesota neighbors and friends don't have a Job I wouldn't sooner or later.  I just wish those CEO would quit trying to rape America and manufacture products here!  It would be better for all our fellow Americans.  I try and dispose of that disposable income In the USA So I can see that dollar again some day.
  My next purchase will be a two man USA made Canvas Craft INC.  I need one for fun fishing with friends.  They are really neat to!!
  Da-Roc

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2012, 11:05 AM »
The only real competition i see for this weight class (40lb or less) is the Clam Trapper at 38lbs. But comes with a folding chair not a bench.
If you took the bench out of the shappell it would be even lighter.. I believe the fabric on the shappell is thicker too.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2012, 11:15 AM »
So what did they do to make it so light? You can only make a shanty so light before you get into the "cheaply made" category. Downsize the sled (negative if you haul gear and a power auger in your shanty). Thin out the fabric (negative unless you like freezing to death). Make the poles out of thinner aluminum (negative unless you only fish on calm days).

See what I'm getting at? I dont see how they can make a shanty lighter and still maintain a good product.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2012, 11:23 AM »
The Sled is smaller, they don't contain a build in seat (these weigh a good 10-12lbs alone).
Its a one man flip catered towards the runner crowd.
It doesnt come with all the bells and whistles they upper models have.
Which is nice because you can then mod it you fit you, and not base it off a tank frame.
The Shappells actually use a heavier material (600 denier) than clam, frabill and eskimo on their 1 man/2mans.

I plan on picking up a FX200 or the Clam Nanook once my local shop has them setup to compare.
I cant tell if the FX200/Nanook use expandable rods or not. Thats something i want to avoid.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Nanook does, and fully loaded I'm pulling over 150lbs with the nanook. Not fun when it plows snow like a box.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Nanook does, and fully loaded I'm pulling over 150lbs with the nanook. Not fun when it plows snow like a box.

It has rods you gotta collapse? or do the collapse themselves when you flip it back?

Offline Tobster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2012, 11:35 AM »
Baitbucket, look on the Shappell website and click on the instruction manual for the 200FX. It looks like solid one piece poles.
Tobster

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Looks like a pretty good sled. I've been looking at a one person run and gun sled for quite a while now. I never even had Shappell on the list but I do now. It's pretty light but once I add a power auger and all the gear It will probably be close to 80-100 pounds. Looks like I will be going to store the soon to compare models. I also like that its made in America.

Offline Tobster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2012, 03:05 PM »
I'm not sure where to see one here in SW Wisconsin. Mills Fleet Farm carries Shappell, but according to Shappell FF won't be carrying the new FX100.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2012, 05:33 PM »
It has rods you gotta collapse? or do the collapse themselves when you flip it back?

Yes, each rod has one of those push pins and a black plastic thing that makes it really easy. I can have it completely folded in and collapsed in less than a minute.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Right, but if your jiggin a hole for 3-5 mins and moving, breaking down and setting up gets old fast.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2012, 06:04 PM »
The FX100 is a Rover 1.0 with a wide front frame. Own a Rover 1.0 simple design, deep sled with sloped front easy to pull by hand, no poles to extend with cold hands, just flip and fish. Owned a Clam Guide which I set up as a large one man shelter, the shallow sled isn't the best design in snow, couldn't load it in my truck by myself and sold it.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2012, 06:36 PM »
Right, but if your jiggin a hole for 3-5 mins and moving, breaking down and setting up gets old fast.

There is absolutely no need to take it completely down until you go home. It will pull across the ice/snow just fine fully extended without rubbing anything. However, I would fold it in if you are planning on towing it at fast speeds.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2012, 06:53 PM »
There is absolutely no need to take it completely down until you go home. It will pull across the ice/snow just fine fully extended without rubbing anything. However, I would fold it in if you are planning on towing it at fast speeds.

My concern is dragging the fabric at all. After a while its going to take its toll. Its also exposed to being dragged thru water and slush.
The Nanook and FX200 seem like identical units. With the FX being lighter, no extendable poles.

How old is your nanook? the new ones claim:
Instant set-up portable low-profile fish house
NEW spreader pole system (SPS) see pictures
(patent pending shelter design)
http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/http-clamcorp-com-ice-fishing-shelters/fish-trap/2-person/nanook.html

Is that how yours works?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2012, 08:09 PM »
No, mine is 2 years old now.. I guess that is old in ice shanty world because it is a different design.. go figure.

Even with mine fully extended, the fabric does not touch the snow or ice, it folds in under the bars.

I still cant figure out how these shappells can get away with not extending the poles. Seems like it would have to be without the bar in the back that pokes it out allowing for extra room behind you. The material would have to come right up behind your head and hit the pole straight up above your head.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2012, 03:11 PM »
No, mine is 2 years old now.. I guess that is old in ice shanty world because it is a different design.. go figure.

Even with mine fully extended, the fabric does not touch the snow or ice, it folds in under the bars.

I still cant figure out how these shappells can get away with not extending the poles. Seems like it would have to be without the bar in the back that pokes it out allowing for extra room behind you. The material would have to come right up behind your head and hit the pole straight up above your head.
The sled is bigger thats all it is. Thats why when you fold it back down all the fabric lays in our on top of the sled. Look at how small most of the frabill and clam sleds are. I have the fx150 and like the fact that I dont have to extend anything.

Offline LSCjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2012, 09:08 PM »
 Another thing that hasnt been mentioned is Shappells customer service. They were/are great to deal with. I own a Rover 1.0 and  an Ice House by Shappell and wont bother buying another brand. Ive lost 2 poles over the yrs from my Shappells and both times had my poles at my doorstep 2 or 3 days later. Good customer service goes along way in my book and add a quality product....Im sold!
Dont get any on ya...but if ya do...get it all over ya!!

Offline HuskersLincoln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2012, 09:28 AM »
Thank you for all the info guys.  Shappell wasn't on my radar until now.

Offline Woodguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 04, 2012, 08:43 AM »
I sold my Fishtrap PRO a few years ago. I really liked it, but may consider the Shappell now. Didn't get to go at all last year, not much ice, but this year should be better. Not sure if I would like the material draping down so much? I also have to get another flasher, so the FX100 looks appealing. I am in NW PA and would like to see one in person, if possible. We have a GM and a DSG here.

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2012, 09:07 AM »
I have had the 1.0 going on 5 years now and it is still holding strong and i have put that shanty through it all and i have only had to patch one hole and that was from a mouse and i have drug that canvas across the ice and i have watched the whole shanty blow across the lake end over end. Needless to say i have been more than happy with my Shappell...I am really considering getting the fx100 for a little more fishing space but i have not fully decided because the 1.0 has done me wright and is still in excellent condition and i have gotten used to the fishing area so i guess we will see...
FISH ON

Offline getn jiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2012, 11:56 AM »
Was considering an Eskimo wide 1 but I'm gonna check out the FX100 for sure.
45/70 Govt./ The only Govt. to be trusted.

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2012, 12:13 PM »
After reading all the good stuff about Shappell, pulled the trigger and ordered anew FX100. have a clam pro but wanted something lighter. my only concern is the seat, but its not a perfect world out there.

Offline getn jiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2012, 03:12 PM »
I'd think you can put any seat you want in it, personally I don't care for the Clam seats. The old style Otter seats work best for me they
give more support for your lower back, that's where I have problems. Kinda gives some options for seating is what I'm sayin'.
45/70 Govt./ The only Govt. to be trusted.

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2012, 04:09 PM »
i love my bigger shappelle dx4000. roomy and i love having a hard floor. but you need to build a smitty sled to pull it when theres snow on the ice.darn thing turned into a snowplow

Offline Tunatruck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:55 PM »
i just baught the fx100 feels like a chariot or Mercedes

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:47 PM »
I have the 1.5dx, and previously had the 3000dx, and I like the Shappell brand, and if they are American made, all the better..

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:08 PM »
Just bought one and put it together over the weekend. Main reasons I bought it were the light weight, one piece poles and the heavier fabric. If you're looking for a shack to set up and fish one spot all day, it's probably not the one. But it's light, should have plenty room for the necessities, and should be easy to heat, The flared front gives you a lot more room than most one man shacks, but it's still lighter than most. Should be great for run and gun.. I've got a Frabill trekker and I like it, but if I'm dragging by myself very far, it's a load. Plus I wanted to get away from the sliding poles, and after 5 seasons, the fabric is paper thin. I'll still use it I'm sure, depending on where I'm fishing, but I'm guessing I'll use the one man more.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.