The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Heater for new ice shack? (pictures of shack)  (Read 5917 times)

Offline Slammin_Brookies!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Speed an Accuracy" Airborne all the Way 82nd!
Re: Heater for new ice shack? (pictures of shack)
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:31 AM »
As long as ur shack is built nice and air tight I would continue to use the buddy heater and install vents that u can open and shut. I have never ran a heater overnight for the simple fact I prefer to wake up. Get a good sleeping bag and if u turn the heater off before bed and close the vents u should be good untill the morning.
"Go Big or Go Home"

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:37 AM »
consider putting your vents closer to the floor because CO sinks

Not true....

Offline Scrub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:37 AM »
Google "wall tent stoves" or check at Cabelas which usually has one or two. I made a decent one out of an ammo can from a surplus store. You can find basic plans online or see them in operation on Youtube.

Sure you have to have a chimney and something on the wall but you can get galvanized duct metal sheets at the big box or quarter inch cement board.

I heat my 1800 sqft house entirely with wood and yeah you have to manage it every 2-4 hrs but it becomes routine and there's nothing like getting warmed up by a woodstove when you,ve frozen your extremities. Again, you should have a smoke and co detector on the wall.     

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:09 AM »
That's a good looking Shack! Maybe a bit heavy for me, but I won't have to worry about that!  ;)
   From my experience overnights in my insulated 8x8, a battery operated Fan is nearly a must.  My shack has no drafts, but the air will stratify way more than you think while sleeping, the floor area will be COLD and the ceiling will be a heat pocket. ( BTW... is the floor insulated?) if not.... Brrrrr! 
     Agree about vents, though if you install them wrong... Have you ever opened a shack to find it filled with fine powder wind driven snow??   :o   Not fun. The smallest gap can allow the shack to fill w/ snow.  Usually my jig holes in the floor allow me to vent as needed.
    I run a small wood stove, as well as propane.  I think Propane is GROSS, Damp, and if your tank gets VERY cold they often will not work properly.  More than one heat source is the way to go, then you have back up, as we have all learned, is important.
    Good god Men, DON'T sleep in a small shack w/ PROPANE running!  :cookoo:

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:18 AM »
Wood Stove!!

Offline whitefishlover

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:26 AM »
I have a 7X8 that I use my Buddy heater in.......CO2 alarm, with 4 fishing holes, and 2 vents.........burning a little more propane in a drafty shack is much safer than not waking up.......
"A bad day of fishin' is much  better than a good day of work" :)

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:30 PM »
With the foam insulation I'd say all you need is the little buddy. Plus cooking dinner helps alot too.  ;)
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #37 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:14 PM »
Very flammable. Gone are the days of spray and run in homes in Maine. Now you have to cover the stuff.
I'd go the sleeping bag route. People winter camp in thin nylon tents with good bags. I'm sure an insulated shack and a good bag would feel like a dream to them.
The guy that sprays the foam says its fire retardent and thats all he does for a living. I will have the inside walls covered with some type of wood paneling anyway but it seems if it were that flamable it would not be allowed. I did here the old foam was very flamable but I am told the new closed cell foam is fire retardent.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline The3Ps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGGGG!!!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Build one to suite your needs like I did!

Patience, Persistence,Presentation

Offline GMMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:30 PM »
I personaly am not a fan of propane heaters only because they will steam the windows constantly.  I bought one of cabela's camp stoves that is real light weight, I love the wood heat and it will not steam the windows.  :tipup:

Offline JiGGywitit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:13 PM »
I have a portable and use propane, if I had a hardside and spent the overnight, I would definitly go the wood route

Offline gtriderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:47 PM »
I want to spend the night in my Hub shelter this winter and was planning on as mentioned already, get it hot, shut off the propane buddy heater and close the vents and sleep. Gets cold quick yet a good bag and it will be fine.

I always leave the vents open when the heater is on. You never know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.