Author Topic: Best rod/reel perch/walleye combo  (Read 9835 times)

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best rod/reel perch/walleye combo
« on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:21 PM »
I'm looking for a good jiggin rod for both perch & walleye that is somewhat inexpensive but good action.
I appreciate any help thanks  :)

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
Re: Best rod/reel perch/walleye combo
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:54 PM »
St croix premier med for small spoons or lures over 1/16 or med/lite for 1/16 or less lures.  28 inch rod if in a flip over 32 inch if outside or large shelter.  Reel...Mitchell avocet II silver 500($20).
]

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2012, 09:03 PM »
People will bust out the St Croix and Thorn Bros. but really best bang for your buck, and a great combo.

Shakespeare Ugly Stik UglyLite Ice Rod 25" Light action

with a

Abu Garcia Cardinal C100i spinning reel

Right now on Cabelas.ca you can get the rod for $19.99 & the reel is on sale for $24.99, that's a pretty sweet combo for under $45. It will be a hell of allot better than any combo deal you can get from St Croix, the reels they use with their combo's are junk IMO.

Just my $.02

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2012, 09:16 PM »
fenwick ice rod medium...pfluger trion micro!!!
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2012, 09:27 PM »
If your looking to go cheap. HT "ice blue" rods are great for the price.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2012, 09:31 PM »
X2 on the HT ice blues.  Great rods for the price.

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2012, 09:45 PM »
Thanks for the info that helps out a lot I've been looking online due to not having very good sporting goods selection where I'm at and I won't buy a rod that I don't know about or cant feel the action of. I've gotten a few of the cheap ht combos a couple years back but i think it's about time to start getting better equipment.

Thanks guys!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Check out thorne bros
EYECONICFISHING

Offline major257

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2012, 10:02 PM »
The St Croix premier rod is great for most any pan fish and walleyes, put the best reel you can afford on it. There are alot of reels out there that will do the job and prices range from 20 to 100 so get what you can. I stick to reels less than $40 because they take a beating ice fishing. If I get unhappy with a reel after a year or 2 I scrape it and find something else.

Just to mention though my favorite Perch rod is a Jason Mitchell Meat stick 24" nut you asked about an around rod for up to walleyes.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2012, 10:08 PM »
Not talking custom, the fenwick with a president is a very sweet set-up.

Offline LSCjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Fenwick Elitetech ice ML with a Shimano Sienna 500 or a Cardinal 400 strapped to it. I like the Sienna reel a little better but the Cardinal comes with 2 spools which i really like!
Dont get any on ya...but if ya do...get it all over ya!!

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2012, 10:27 PM »
I'll take a look into those too thanks!!  I'm not really lookin to go custom unless I get a good deal on one. I've heard very good things about Thorne bros. and I'm always up get new perch rods. The only thing I wanted all around for is cause many areas I fish I catch both perch and walleye on the same pole just waitin for a big one that my light rod can't quite handle. LSCjigger thanks for the advice I didn't even think about the double spools I have them for my boat spinning rods one lighter line one a little heavier.

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2012, 10:35 PM »
fenwick ice rod medium...pfluger trion micro!!!

I 2nd the fenwick rod but tica citus reel fo shiggity
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2012, 11:13 PM »
I also like the st croix premiers. They are not expensive. $19.99 is what Ive always seen them for. I usually just find any reel with a decent drag and Im good to go.

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2012, 11:33 PM »
Yeah I'm not picky with my reels as long as it has a good drag and spins haha

Offline Second City Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2012, 11:51 PM »
In my experience you get what you pay for. Thorne Bros. Medium rod is perfect for perch and walleye. Or a DH custom. Jason Mitchell is very good as well. Light tip and some backbone.  I would rather spend a little more up front for a rod that will last me a lifetime.

And like someone else said a quality reel is key. Cant tell you how many fish that I have seen lost due to a crappy drag.  That and dull hooks. Guys often neglect to have razor sharp hooks. IMO that is another important key to landing more fish.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2012, 12:47 AM »
In my experience you get what you pay for. Thorne Bros. Medium rod is perfect for perch and walleye. Or a DH custom. Jason Mitchell is very good as well. Light tip and some backbone.  I would rather spend a little more up front for a rod that will last me a lifetime.

And like someone else said a quality reel is key. Cant tell you how many fish that I have seen lost due to a crappy drag.  That and dull hooks. Guys often neglect to have razor sharp hooks. IMO that is another important key to landing more fish.

Sharp hooks, yes I agree there. But a custom rod is not going to last any longer than any other graphite rod as far as durability. Graphite is graphite, it will break if your not careful. And as far as reels, there are plenty of inexpensive reels that have good drags and will serve their purpose for ice fishing for many years to come and land just as many fish as a much more expensive reel.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2012, 01:08 AM »
Good points. I guess I just try to buy products that are made in America. So many people gripe about how our economy stinks. Then they go to wallmart and spend their hard earned money on goods manufactured for pennies on the dollar.

We cant have it both ways and survive. I will spend more for goods that help USA

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2012, 01:18 AM »
Not talking custom, the fenwick with a president is a very sweet set-up.

IMO the President is to heavy a reel for ice fishing, but again that's just my $.02.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2012, 01:32 AM »
Good point

Offline tonstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 16, 2012, 06:02 AM »
Throne bros perch sweetheart with a Mitchell reel any of their models.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #21 on: Oct 16, 2012, 06:15 AM »
For perch I love my HT blue ice light action 30" you can see it load with a very small jig and when the perch lift the jig you will see the pole go straight.
For eyes I like my ugly stick med action.
The reel for me is always shimano. I want to get a Shimano Spirex for my walleye rod to quickly drop heavy spoons and jigging raps one handed.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2012, 07:22 AM »
IMO the President is to heavy a reel for ice fishing, but again that's just my $.02.
Reel weight's in UL sizes....
President 6920 5.9oz
Ticas 6.3oz
Cardinal 6.8oz
Avocet 6.5oz
Sienna 6.0oz
]

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2012, 08:17 AM »
Reel weight's in UL sizes....
President 6920 5.9oz
Ticas 6.3oz
Cardinal 6.8oz
Avocet 6.5oz
Sienna 6.0oz

Sorry by heavy I meant reel size not weight, it has a fairly large bailer and spool, larger than I would want on my ice rod, but to each their own.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2012, 10:17 AM »
I really like my Frabill Ice Hunter 26"L & 24"UL for perch/small walleye. Both with Cardinal 100Ui reels.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2012, 10:37 AM »
I really like my Frabill Ice Hunter 26"L & 24"UL for perch/small walleye. Both with Cardinal 100Ui reels.

I might have to add one of those Frabill UL rods to the rack, good reviews on them. My fear with an UL rod is there are some monster pike where I am and with an UL rod I fear getting a 20+ pounder on the other end and breaking the rod and losing the fish. Fish mostly with a M/L or a M rod, but I think an UL for the start of the year when the perch bite is on could be a good pickup, and like I always say, "you can never have to much gear or to much tackle".

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2013, 01:33 PM »
I might have to add one of those Frabill UL rods to the rack, good reviews on them. My fear with an UL rod is there are some monster pike where I am and with an UL rod I fear getting a 20+ pounder on the other end and breaking the rod and losing the fish. Fish mostly with a M/L or a M rod, but I think an UL for the start of the year when the perch bite is on could be a good pickup, and like I always say, "you can never have to much gear or to much tackle".

DBK81

I sold the 24" UL to my buddy, I just had a couple too many rods. He uses it with smaller spoons for whitefish. So far it has held up very well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.