The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: StrikeMaster Strike-Lite Auger & the NEW StrikeMaster Honda Lite Ice Auger  (Read 23714 times)

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Was wondering if any owners of the StrikeMaster Strike-Lite Auger have any reviews (likes/dislikes) on that 4-stroke auger. The Strike-Lite Auger has the Subaru Robin motor. This week I have been looking at the NEW StrikeMaster Honda Lite Ice Auger (also 4-stroke), which looks like a great auger. Like the idea of the sealed case to pevent oil leaking when layed down, etc. Plus Honda makes a great long lasting motor.
Thanks
Cheers!
Walleyekelly 

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Bought a SL-II a couple years ago and really enjoy using it. Did have to "upgrade" the blades to the Sweden ones as it came with China blades originally. At one time SM was replacing them, but I purchased mine after they stopped shipping new blades. Had to remove the blades to see the China engraved on them. Actually the blades lasted a season and a half before getting funky, and I drill a TON of holes too.

I've had others comment on how quiet it runs, they "borrow" it to test out a hole or two, and of course no mixing of gas. I'd buy another one in an instant if this one was ever lost or stolen.

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks wyoutdoors,
Any problems with it leaking oil if the auger was sat down wrong? Just curious, I had someone mention to me that they had that problem with theirs. Just wondering if possibly it was something that just needed to be tightened on their auger or if it was common.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Just a small amount. There is a sticker clearly stating to lay it down with "This side up", being the spark plug is up. But really there was no more leakage than other drills you see with mixed fuel spills. I do store it upright and fire it up every other month or so. A little choke, pump the fuel into the line, and starts right up. Let it idle a bit and rev a few times and shut'er off until 6-8 weeks later. SeaFoam additive btw.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
You cannot go wrong with any of the new Strikemaster Augers.  I have the Solo 2.5 lazer and it is amazing, starts on 2-3 pulls every time.  Runs like and sounds like a chain saw motor.  The only issue with the older 4 stroke Strikemasters was laying them down and transporting them correctly.  The new Honda motor does not have that issue.

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yah, I think next week I'm gonna put my order in for the Strikemaster Honda Lite.
The $569 price is kinda high, but Honda motors are known for going forever and to have the crankcase surrounded by the bladder to prevent oil leaking is great. Just looks and sounds like an auger I will be happy with for many many years down the road.

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
I have the original strike-lite with the plastic auger bit.  As long as you take care of your gear no issues.  i've taken that auger in the back of my truck across the state and back, and on trips over 6 hours in the back of the truck, and have yet to have an issue.    i just make sure to secure it properly in the right position, the sticker made it quite obvious which side was up.  No issues with the plastic on the bit either, and i've put it through ice up to 3 feet.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Any 4 stroke will drain oil out of the crankcase if you lay it down wrong. Ever tip your lawn mower over on it's side?  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Any 4 stroke will drain oil out of the crankcase if you lay it down wrong. Ever tip your lawn mower over on it's side?  ::)
My wife did!! :o ONCE!!!!! >:( ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
I would assume the

Honda will not. I have a 4 stroke weed whip of theirs, no leakage there. Lay it anyway you want. Same with my honda tiller, 50cc little four stroke, lay it down however you want.

I think they have a pressurized crankcase.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
If you watch the video on it they talk about it having a bladder around the crank case away from the oil bladder.

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
I cant wait to try out the new Honda, Im sure with out a doubt it will be a nice machine. ;)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Just curious, have you looked into the Icegator and new new Ion electric augers for the same price? No gas to mix/leak, oil, etc...
The Ion supposedly will drill 40 holes thru 2 feet of ice on a single charge. So your looking at around 80 holes thru a foot of ice. Only weighs 20lbs too
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Ice-Augers|/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104395680/Ion-Electric-Ice-Auger/1374738.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-ice-fishing-ice-augers%2F_%2FN-1100504%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104395680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMM%253Bcat104735880&WTz_l=SBC%3BMM%3Bcat104735880%3Bcat104395680
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
Just curious, have you looked into the Icegator and new new Ion electric augers for the same price? No gas to mix/leak, oil, etc...
The Ion supposedly will drill 40 holes thru 2 feet of ice on a single charge. So your looking at around 80 holes thru a foot of ice. Only weighs 20lbs too
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Ice-Augers|/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104395680/Ion-Electric-Ice-Auger/1374738.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-ice-fishing-ice-augers%2F_%2FN-1100504%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104395680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMM%253Bcat104735880&WTz_l=SBC%3BMM%3Bcat104735880%3Bcat104395680

What is the expected charge time? I usually fish till late and then hit it early the next morning.
:icefish:

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is this new HONDA engine a good starter--i know some of there stuff used to be cold- -blooded

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
What is the expected charge time? I usually fish till late and then hit it early the next morning.

The Ion full charges from dead to full charge is 2.5hrs
http://www.ioniceaugers.com/foundations/store/storepage.asp?page=FAQ

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
The Ion full charges from dead to full charge is 2.5hrs
http://www.ioniceaugers.com/foundations/store/storepage.asp?page=FAQ

nice link answered more questions thanks!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
No problem man, they look like a sweet auger.
If you pick one up please let me know how it performs.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
LOLicegator and their customer service.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
No problem man, they look like a sweet auger.
If you pick one up please let me know how it performs.
I would if I did but the old school in me is very much leaning towards a 4 stroke or maybe picking up a old two strke and refurbishing it. I am and electrical tech for a living, sure bat power can be wonderfull but longivity is not its fortay, at least currently not now. And I don't want to spend years proving it.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
The batterys got a 1 yr warranty, and they state it will last for 600-800 full charge cycles..

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
   I had the original Strikelite , when they fiest came out and I loved it .  I would have it yet , but strikemaster did not recommend putting a 10" bit on it due to its polymer gear case .  When I fish Lake Winnipeg for Greenies and the ice is 5' thick , yes it gets that thick by mar .  A 10" hole is very nice especially since barbless hooks are mandated.

I never had any oil leaking issues .  I had a auger rack on my wheeler that kept it with the plug up.  You will find it becomes second nature to always set it down properly .  Hands down its the easiest starting and quietest auger I have ever owned. 

I plan to get my hands on a new Honda powered Strikelite this season .  Strikemaster has paired up with hands down the best name in small engines .  When you combine the two biggest names of any product  , your guaranteed they hit it out of the park .

The biggest advantage I see is sound .  I fish a lot of shallow water , and sound it a big deal .  Most sloughs I fish chasing big perch dont have much fishing pressure .  You start making a bunch of noise in an area thats normally silent , the fish will move or just shut down.  The quietness of a four stroke and not needing mixed gas have me sold .  I can carry one container of gas for both auger and wheeler .   
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline HuskersLincoln

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sure wish the Honda Lite was a little cheaper.

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
Picked up my new Honda-Lite earlier in the week, didn't have a chance to break it out and play with it until last night. Can't wait to get it on the ice!

Offline BigDVO

• Team IceShanty Regular

Apparently the strikemaster honda is only 23lbs. I think the ION is 22lbs

Offline Hardwater fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just ordered my strike lite from reeds and they sold it for 541 if you sign up for e-mail flyers!instead of 569 and it ships for free!

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That thing is WAY too quiet!! 

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
That thing is WAY too quiet!!
Shhhh... I'm trying to listen to the SL-II!

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Thanks rouser. Sounds sweet. Look forwards to a review when we get some ice. :tipup:

Offline blackhawks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking to purchase the new Strikemaster / Honda.  All of the previous postings were pre-ice.  I would sincerely appreciate any feedback from users that have punched holes with it.  Fire up easy in the cold, etc.? Secondly, I would like to purchase a 6" replacement  drill for it and was wondering if any users have done that and the price and place of purchase for the 6" replacement drill.  Thank you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.