Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Visit Auger Tow Enterprises Website
Auger Tow
Oct 02, 2014, 04:25 AM
Team Iceshanty Mock T's
Full chest logo/iceshanty.com printed down the sleeve.
Iceshanty Proshop

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: StrikeMaster Strike-Lite Auger & the NEW StrikeMaster Honda Lite Ice Auger  (Read 10507 times)

walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular

Was wondering if any owners of the StrikeMaster Strike-Lite Auger have any reviews (likes/dislikes) on that 4-stroke auger. The Strike-Lite Auger has the Subaru Robin motor. This week I have been looking at the NEW StrikeMaster Honda Lite Ice Auger (also 4-stroke), which looks like a great auger. Like the idea of the sealed case to pevent oil leaking when layed down, etc. Plus Honda makes a great long lasting motor.
Thanks
Cheers!
Walleyekelly 

wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

• Clam Powerstick
Bought a SL-II a couple years ago and really enjoy using it. Did have to "upgrade" the blades to the Sweden ones as it came with China blades originally. At one time SM was replacing them, but I purchased mine after they stopped shipping new blades. Had to remove the blades to see the China engraved on them. Actually the blades lasted a season and a half before getting funky, and I drill a TON of holes too.

I've had others comment on how quiet it runs, they "borrow" it to test out a hole or two, and of course no mixing of gas. I'd buy another one in an instant if this one was ever lost or stolen.

walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular

Thanks wyoutdoors,
Any problems with it leaking oil if the auger was sat down wrong? Just curious, I had someone mention to me that they had that problem with theirs. Just wondering if possibly it was something that just needed to be tightened on their auger or if it was common.

wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

• Clam Powerstick
Just a small amount. There is a sticker clearly stating to lay it down with "This side up", being the spark plug is up. But really there was no more leakage than other drills you see with mixed fuel spills. I do store it upright and fire it up every other month or so. A little choke, pump the fuel into the line, and starts right up. Let it idle a bit and rev a few times and shut'er off until 6-8 weeks later. SeaFoam additive btw.

CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict

You cannot go wrong with any of the new Strikemaster Augers.  I have the Solo 2.5 lazer and it is amazing, starts on 2-3 pulls every time.  Runs like and sounds like a chain saw motor.  The only issue with the older 4 stroke Strikemasters was laying them down and transporting them correctly.  The new Honda motor does not have that issue.

walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular

Yah, I think next week I'm gonna put my order in for the Strikemaster Honda Lite.
The $569 price is kinda high, but Honda motors are known for going forever and to have the crankcase surrounded by the bladder to prevent oil leaking is great. Just looks and sounds like an auger I will be happy with for many many years down the road.

jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
I have the original strike-lite with the plastic auger bit.  As long as you take care of your gear no issues.  i've taken that auger in the back of my truck across the state and back, and on trips over 6 hours in the back of the truck, and have yet to have an issue.    i just make sure to secure it properly in the right position, the sticker made it quite obvious which side was up.  No issues with the plastic on the bit either, and i've put it through ice up to 3 feet.

Rebelss

• IceShantyholic

• Muckletonian Society
Any 4 stroke will drain oil out of the crankcase if you lay it down wrong. Ever tip your lawn mower over on it's side?  ::)

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"...Rick Nelson/SCB '72

OldSailor

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!!
Any 4 stroke will drain oil out of the crankcase if you lay it down wrong. Ever tip your lawn mower over on it's side?  ::)
My wife did!! :o ONCE!!!!! >:( ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict

I would assume the

Honda will not. I have a 4 stroke weed whip of theirs, no leakage there. Lay it anyway you want. Same with my honda tiller, 50cc little four stroke, lay it down however you want.

I think they have a pressurized crankcase.

squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict

• Addicted to freezing.
If you watch the video on it they talk about it having a bladder around the crank case away from the oil bladder.

venom

• Team IceShanty Regular

• On Ah Fish "N" Mission
I cant wait to try out the new Honda, Im sure with out a doubt it will be a nice machine. ;)

BaitBucket

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

Just curious, have you looked into the Icegator and new new Ion electric augers for the same price? No gas to mix/leak, oil, etc...
The Ion supposedly will drill 40 holes thru 2 feet of ice on a single charge. So your looking at around 80 holes thru a foot of ice. Only weighs 20lbs too
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Ice-Augers|/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104395680/Ion-Electric-Ice-Auger/1374738.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-ice-fishing-ice-augers%2F_%2FN-1100504%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104395680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMM%253Bcat104735880&WTz_l=SBC%3BMM%3Bcat104735880%3Bcat104395680
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• hard water is great
Just curious, have you looked into the Icegator and new new Ion electric augers for the same price? No gas to mix/leak, oil, etc...
The Ion supposedly will drill 40 holes thru 2 feet of ice on a single charge. So your looking at around 80 holes thru a foot of ice. Only weighs 20lbs too
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Ice-Augers|/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104395680/Ion-Electric-Ice-Auger/1374738.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-ice-fishing-ice-augers%2F_%2FN-1100504%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104395680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMM%253Bcat104735880&WTz_l=SBC%3BMM%3Bcat104735880%3Bcat104395680

What is the expected charge time? I usually fish till late and then hit it early the next morning.
:icefish:

boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular

Is this new HONDA engine a good starter--i know some of there stuff used to be cold- -blooded

BaitBucket

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

What is the expected charge time? I usually fish till late and then hit it early the next morning.

The Ion full charges from dead to full charge is 2.5hrs
http://www.ioniceaugers.com/foundations/store/storepage.asp?page=FAQ

delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• hard water is great
The Ion full charges from dead to full charge is 2.5hrs
http://www.ioniceaugers.com/foundations/store/storepage.asp?page=FAQ

nice link answered more questions thanks!

BaitBucket

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

No problem man, they look like a sweet auger.
If you pick one up please let me know how it performs.

wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

• Clam Powerstick
LOLicegator and their customer service.

delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• hard water is great
No problem man, they look like a sweet auger.
If you pick one up please let me know how it performs.
I would if I did but the old school in me is very much leaning towards a 4 stroke or maybe picking up a old two strke and refurbishing it. I am and electrical tech for a living, sure bat power can be wonderfull but longivity is not its fortay, at least currently not now. And I don't want to spend years proving it.

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved