Author Topic: Ice Anchors Systems  (Read 3684 times)

Offline dogwood

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Anchors Systems
« on: Oct 04, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Has anyone used these? Croxton Ice Drill Shelter Anchor, cabelas.com is selling them for $6.99 a pair.

Been reading online about people using lags bolts \ washers, clam or HT power tool adapters that don't work for all ice anchor screws etc... These just slide into your chuck it looks like and the way you go. I think I might give them a try this year.

"Anchor your ice shelter or tarp quickly and easily with minimal exertion. These anchors conveniently fit into any cordless drill and the drill’s torque does the work for you. No turning by hand required. Sold per pair."

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=1385781

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: Ice Anchors Systems
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2012, 08:00 AM »
For that price give them a try. If they dont work then your not out a bunch of cash.

Offline dogwood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2012, 08:11 AM »
Well I had to order 8 which is min backorder qty on cabela's which gives me 16 screws.  So if anyone is in the Ontario Canada area and wants 4 or 8 screws PM me and we will split cost.  Shipping shouldn't be much depending on where you live.

Shipping says with in a week...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2012, 09:33 AM »
They look like a good thing to me, but I don't take a drill on the ice with me.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2012, 11:44 AM »
They look like a good thing to me, but I don't take a drill on the ice with me.

Ditto  :thumbsup:
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline dogwood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2012, 01:42 PM »
I will give them a try and see how it goes, I will just carry a cheapo cordless drill.  I just hate fiddling around with screws in a wind storm and getting them started.  I usually will tie corner of hub to sled bumper windward and then quickly pop in 4 screws in each corner.  Easier said then done when winds are whipping across the lake for me at least. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Setting up in the wind isn't much fun at my age, but I fished during bad weather for many years when I only had weekends to fish. Now that I'm retired I decided that when the wind is whipping it up on the ice I will either use my wheelhouse or stay home. The nice thing about retirement is I can choose the days I fish. I get to watch Grumpy Old Men more too.  ;D

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2012, 07:37 PM »
I use the Eskimo ice anchors, on my Shappell they thread in easily by hand no tools required
They cost a little more but no drill, no dead battery, etc......

Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Give these a try > http://www.diggeranchor.com/iceangel.html and you stand a better chance of not breaking it off in the ice or losing it.. and there a whole lot cheaper.
Hard Ice

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2012, 09:17 PM »
I use a couple of ice climbing anchors...left over from my younger, dumber days! Check out ice climbing web sites....

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2012, 04:14 PM »
Give these a try > http://www.diggeranchor.com/iceangel.html and you stand a better chance of not breaking it off in the ice or losing it.. and there a whole lot cheaper.
looks like a lunch time project at work.

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2012, 05:16 PM »
X2 for the eskimo anchors. Best on the market IMO. If you use lag bolts remember to pre-drill your holes ;)

MTA

Offline rks-icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2012, 06:20 PM »
The Eskimo anchors with the tapered shank are by far the best I have used. I believe the tapered shank and groove in them is the key to why they work so well. They go in easily by hand and hold extremley well.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2012, 07:55 AM »
i would be concerned if my cordless died due to the cold or lack of power...how do you get those out with no drill...do not get me wrong they look great and i am interested in getting some
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Haul some Vice Grips with ya.  ;)

Offline quigley257

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2012, 10:17 AM »
I got one of the first hub style houses on the market called an Easton Ice Cube. I still have it and use it after all these years. The big name manufacturers could take some notes from this thing as far as hub design and durability go. I really like the anchors that it came with. They are a "T" style that have had the handle dipped in rubber. They worked "okay" until I modified them. I took a heavy cutting wheel in a Dremel tool and cut a slot like you would find on a self-tapping screw. That made all the difference in the world for ease of driving by hand into ice. I had considered a drill or other power tool but there were just too many downsides. I ended up designing a driver which my dad then fabricated to drive the anchors using the handle of my Mora hand auger. It is simple and very fast. No batteries to worry about either.

Anchor driver.

Anchor driver with auger handle next to auger bit.

Say when...

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 2012, 06:18 PM »
3/8 rod, hot wrench, a vise, make your own tiny auger, (speed wrench). weld a 3/8 extension on the end, design any type of driver for whatever type of anchor you want to use. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.