The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Liberty Beach, Isle Mn  (Read 1338 times)

Offline RWD12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Liberty Beach, Isle Mn
« on: Sep 25, 2012, 09:13 PM »
Just found out that Brad Hawthorne is booked for renting shacks for Dec. and Jan ( kinda mad about that ) so do you guys have any recomendations for resorts that are good to rent from that put their shacks out on the road that connects to Liberty Beach's boat launch? I was thinking about going through Dicky's but was wondering if there are better ones out there.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Liberty Beach, Isle Mn
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2012, 09:39 PM »
The resorts will push piles up to try and keep public traffic off their roads The resorts cannot charge for using their roads, only beach access to get on them. The lake is public property and legally the plowing they do is out of the goodness of their hearts. The only way to collect fees for use, is to isolate the road systems so you need to pay the guy doing the plowing to get on them. They almost never even connect to other resorts. If the snow is thin, you can always bust across in a pickup, but don't be surprised if you get your butt chewed. Just remember that you are NOT trespassing unless you drive out through their resort. Don't let the resort owners bully you off your fishing if their roads are in your fishing area.

There is a holy pile of mega structure right there. None of it is any better than the stuff around it though. Don't get too dead set on a small portion of the lake, that's a good way to pull a skunk.

Appledoorns Sunset Bay is the only one I can vouch for right in that area. Nice shacks, and Paul really knows his way around. Roach's guide service operates out of there too. May consider them the best on the lake.

You picked a good area to fish there. Don't get structure overload or let the HD maps hypnotize you! ;D

Offline RWD12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2012, 06:36 PM »
The resorts will push piles up to try and keep public traffic off their roads The resorts cannot charge for using their roads, only beach access to get on them. The lake is public property and legally the plowing they do is out of the goodness of their hearts. The only way to collect fees for use, is to isolate the road systems so you need to pay the guy doing the plowing to get on them. They almost never even connect to other resorts. If the snow is thin, you can always bust across in a pickup, but don't be surprised if you get your butt chewed. Just remember that you are NOT trespassing unless you drive out through their resort. Don't let the resort owners bully you off your fishing if their roads are in your fishing area.

There is a holy pile of mega structure right there. None of it is any better than the stuff around it though. Don't get too dead set on a small portion of the lake, that's a good way to pull a skunk.

Appledoorns Sunset Bay is the only one I can vouch for right in that area. Nice shacks, and Paul really knows his way around. Roach's guide service operates out of there too. May consider them the best on the lake.

You picked a good area to fish there. Don't get structure overload or let the HD maps hypnotize you! ;D
My Dad wants to go off of Liberty beach beacuse he just likes it there and Dickies' resturant is awesome! I am 95% sure we are going through Dickies' for our shack. And when i said if there are any good resorts that go off the road that gets plowed from Dickie i was just wondering cuse like i said before, my Dad wants to go there so i guess i have no other option. but thanks anyways! always learn something new  ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2012, 06:51 PM »
You guys bringing portys? Don't be afraid to go adventuring! There are a TON of resorts in that area, all that I know of will give you a road pass for $5-$8 a day. If you're lucky, you won't even need a road. There is nothing wrong with cutting across country (ice) as long as you keep the speed down and keep an eye out for pressure ridges. Last year, I never paid for a road pass once. When we fished that area, we just went out of Bare Ass Beach and went straight for our spot.

Offline RWD12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2012, 07:53 PM »
You guys bringing portys? Don't be afraid to go adventuring! There are a TON of resorts in that area, all that I know of will give you a road pass for $5-$8 a day. If you're lucky, you won't even need a road. There is nothing wrong with cutting across country (ice) as long as you keep the speed down and keep an eye out for pressure ridges. Last year, I never paid for a road pass once. When we fished that area, we just went out of Bare Ass Beach and went straight for our spot.
No we are not bringing portables, just my new Strikemaster/Honda 4 stroke and just drilling! ;D so we are gona rent a shack for 2 nights.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2012, 07:56 PM »
let me know when you are on your way. I will pass on any info I have. Make sure to stalk the websites of all the resorts in that area for reports. Look for trends, that is where you start.

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2012, 08:10 PM »
Agree with Skip. Appledorns does a good job using GPS for their rental units and plowing roads to the gravel, rock and mud flats.
Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.