Author Topic: Hopefull the one nd only time  (Read 2003 times)

Offline RWD12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hopefull the one nd only time
« on: Aug 05, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Since my Dad is a fire fighter, they do a practice ice rescue every winter. Lucky me, i get to try and see what it is actually like falling through and the struggle to get back up. Hopefully this will be the 1st and last time i go through! Record is 2" of ice with a max of 4 people on a pond here in Northern Illinois due to the lack of cold this past winter... When ice finally comes ( ;D :whistle: :icefish: :tipup: ) be safe during early ice but catch lots of fish ( but dont keep em all lol ).

surflizard

Re: Hopefull the one nd only time
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2012, 08:27 AM »
Brace yourself, even with the suit and the safety line on you, once that ice cold water closes over your head, it will be one of the most Terrifying things you will ever experience, Trust me I know ! You are very lucky to get that training, 95 % of ice fishermen don't and every year people pay the Ultimate price for the lack of that Knowledge !!

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2012, 04:37 PM »
everyone should go through cold water training.... most people die from drowning than the exposure. When you hit the water, the cold will make you gasp for air, that's when you start sucking in water. Keep your breathing under control is the most important thing you can do. Stay calm.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2012, 04:48 PM »
Shoot this guy Desperado a PM.... His name is Don, a real friendly guy. He demos ice rescue equipment to fire and law enforcement agencies. He may have some tips for ya.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:59 PM »
I've also been trained in ice rescue and what an eye opener.  I think everyone who ice fishes should take the class even if you don't run with an emergency services unit you'll have good training on what to do if you or someone around you gets into trouble.  Quick actions by people on scene can and do make the difference between a save and a fatality.  Everyone be safe and just remembe no fish is worth risking or loosing your life.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.