The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: A Able Charters, Guided Ice Fishing Info  (Read 7692 times)

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
A Able Charters, Guided Ice Fishing Info
« on: Nov 11, 2011, 04:44 PM »

Hey, just want to invite everyone to check out A Able Charters for your Montana guided fishing trips, we are excited to be guiding on the ice this winter!

Also wanted to sponsor this forum and help keep this site hopping!

I will post up regularly with specials, fishing reports etc.

Mike
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
Re: A Able Charters, Guided Ice Fishing Info
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2011, 05:29 PM »
Thanks Mike!  Good job with everything.
  BE THERE!

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:37 PM »
Thanks Mike!  I know that your info helped me a TON last year in the Flathead Valley.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:28 PM »
Awesome thing yer doing here Mike, Congrats
Get bit!

Offline wvmountaineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2011, 08:34 AM »
Its a good thing thanks Mike hope to see you out sometime.

Vince

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2011, 07:29 PM »
Thanks Guys!

We will be starting a dedicated "Perch Assault" sticky here soon as well.

I am loving the next weeks forecast, we will have three-four inches of ice somewhere by Thanksgiving, I can feel it!
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Did a charter on Flathead on Saturday, got 7 nice fish.  Sunday we got 7 more plus a 16+ pounder up on the surface on a spoon.  About as good a fight as you get from a laker, and all on video!

Check out our facebook page "aable fishing charters and tours" for the pics.  Like us while you're at it please!

We are still doing charters on Flathead until we get some ice!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2012, 06:46 PM »
The guided ice fishing trips this winter went well, but unfortunately, my schedule meant several people were not able to get out on the ice with us!  The short ice season, as least as far as being comfortable with hauling people and gear out on the lakes with four wheelers etc, didn't help either!

All in all, there is a LOT of interest out there, and we will be back stronger in 2013!

We are now back to guiding on Flathead Lake, and we have had some great lake trout trips in the last couple of weeks.  We will also be offering evening trips on McGregor Lake this summer, with The Lodge at McGregor Lake, and about a dozen other Region 1 lakes as well.

Give us a call if you need a guided trip anywhere in the Flathead area, or just need a fishing report before you head this way, we're here to help!!!

Mike and Cindy Howe

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2012, 07:59 PM »
I went out on a charter trip with A-Able Fishing Charters and Tours with my wife this weekend.  We were supposed to fish the afternoon bite for Lake Trout on St. Patrick's day.  As we were leaving our motel room to meet Mike, we were greeted by several inches of wet heavy snow that wasn't there when we went to breakfast earlier that morning.  Looked like we would be fishing in the snow again as we did last year at this time when we brought our own little boat up for some fishing.  Mike called us as we were picking up sandwiches and sodas and said that in 4 hours of fishing they only had 2 fish on the boat and the barometer was still dropping.  He offered us the morning trip the next morning or to come tough it out in the snow and the choppy water.  We have fished Flathead in the snow and it is wet and cold so we opted for the next morning.  Back to town we went for lunch, a movie, dinner and a very nice stay at the Hilton on the south end of town (reasonable prices for a great room.)

We awoke to a cool clear day with the barometer on the rise.  Susie and I met Mike at the West Shore State Park ramp at just after 8:30 a.m. where he already had the boat in the water and the cabin warmed up.  Mike had Rick, a local free lance writer, with him to do an article on the excellent early spring Lake Trout fishing found on Flathead Lake.  In the early spring there is often a chance at a trophy Lake Trout as they wake up from their winter slumber and start feeding heavily on the lakes forage fish.  Mike let me help run the deck as the trip was a fishing/teaching trip for Susie and I as we wanted to learn how to fish down riggers as well as how to catch Lake Trout.  We fished Worden's Mag Lips in both the "Fin Clipper" and "Winner" colors on the down riggers and then ran a Worden's Flatfish T-50 in Luminous on 30# steel line straight out the back.

It took about a half hour after we got the spread in the water before we had our first take down on one of the down riggers.  After that first fish, we had a fairly steady pace of singles and even 3 doubles to keep us busy and laughing while catching our way to a total of 13 fish to the boat and 3 of those released to fight another day.  The top fish of 29" and almost 7 pounds was caught by our journalist on the one time I offered to let him fish and have Mike take the pictures.  It made my day to see the smile on his face and to send him home with a little meat for the table.

With a total of ten fish cleaned by Mike for the table and the learning experience we got from fishing with A-Able Fishing Charters and Tours http://aablefishing.com/ we were quite impressed with our trip.  We can not wait to get back up there again with our boat to try out the techniques we learned and get our chance at the Flathead Monster of A Lifetime! 

And Mike, we will be back to fish with you again!

Jay

P.S. We are a little light on photos this trip since we had Rick on board taking lots of pictures of us.  Here are a couple for your viewing pleasure and I will post a copy of the article as soon as it is published.

Susie and her first Lake Trout of her life.

My first laker.
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2012, 08:19 PM »
For those of you still thinking about ice fishing, remember to check out www.myfishfinder.com for the "warm weather" site!

See you all in October when we start getting "ice happy" again!

Mike Howe
www.aablefishing.com

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2012, 11:24 AM »
Now booking for 2013 Ice Fishing Trips.  If you book any trip for 2013 before December 31, we will send a check for $20.13 to the charity of your choice!

Half Day trips, to lakes within 20 miles of Snappys', are $200 for 2 people.

Full Day trips, to any lake we are permitted on, are $350 for 2 people and we provide lunch.

Go to www.aablefishing.com for more info!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:48 AM »
Need a last minute gift idea? How about a gift certificate for a guided fishing trip? I'll knock $50 off a trip valued at $300 or more if you mention this post!

Mike
www.aablefishing.com

Offline Onefish wonder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2013, 02:04 PM »
Mike are you guys able to guide on lake francis?
Just Feedn'em

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:39 AM »
I technically could, if it's a fishing access site, but that is a long way from home...It's hard to just go "guide" on waters you are unfamiliar with, especially when travel costs and other factors make it prohibitively expensive.  We tend to focus on 8-10 waters in our home area for now.

Mike

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:18 AM »
When is the best time to try for the 20# + lakers I have a charter to use at my will? I would like to do some early spring, if not winter fishing on the big water, what's the deal on the big lakers
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2014, 06:00 PM »
I REALLY like March, from early to late, when we can get out, and fish the big flats around the Shelter/Cedar area. Hunting big, individual fish with big Flathfish on steel line...Even mid to late Feb, weather permitting, can be really good.

Otherwise, we do well all of June and into early July, but its an early morning thing most days (That 45 inch/37# fish came at that time last year)

If it's a big 'un you're after...my money is on Feb/March if weather cooperates. Sometimes its a short notice thing when weather/patterns line up.  Lets DO it:-)

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2014, 11:48 AM »
TACKLE TRUCK RIDES AGAIN!!!

Going to hit GF, Helena, Billings Bozeman/Butte maybe even Missoula this year...dust off that credit card!

Dates soon!

Offline icechamp1985

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2015, 11:41 AM »
How do I get ice status

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2016, 10:02 PM »
Mike, How did you guys do at Hell Creek?.
We finally found the walleyes.
Steve

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Hey Steve,

NOT great, we had SOOOO many false flags, and not much other action...I'd like to call you this week and compare notes?  Maybe tomorrow or Thursday evening?

Seemed like we were in a rush every day, coming and going, I never got to come see you again...

Mike

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2016, 08:26 PM »
We are happy to announce that Howe's Fishing/A Able Charters will be offering guided fishing trips on Fort Peck this winter, effective January 1, 2017.

Lodging, trip departures and equipment rentals will be offered through Lakeridge Motel and Bait shop in Fort Peck primarily, but will vary with conditions, etc. From a fully guided trip, to rental augers, houses and tip-ups for the do-it-yourselfers, to just a good hot tip, Fort Peck just got a whole lot more user friendly!

Give us a call to discuss dates and options, as we are starting a list of folks who have specific dates in mind.  Or email at [email protected] to get on our mailing list for events, special offers and more. 

Mike
www.howesfishing.com

Offline Tlecronier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:58 PM »
I will be contacting you soon. I am looking to do some ice fishing in early February.

Offline 4Him

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Super.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.