Author Topic: Ft. Peck Ice Fishing  (Read 8134 times)

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Ft. Peck Ice Fishing
« on: Feb 21, 2005, 02:44 PM »
I thought everyone might enjoy some more pictures of ice fishing at Ft. Peck.

PIKEGUY

Re: Ft. Peck Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2005, 02:47 PM »
HOLY crap MAN! I have never seen anything like that. Was that all one trip?? I need some weights on those!!!!!

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2005, 02:48 PM »
MAN,  THAT'S SOME  NICE FISH,,,,STOP TEASING   :bow: :bow: :bow:

camo_fish

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2005, 02:54 PM »
Holy F-Nutts is more like it, those are some monsters, holy spotted cow.  :o
**censored**G  :o

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2005, 03:04 PM »
WOW!!!!!   Road trip coming up!!!   :tipup:
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2005, 03:10 PM »
:o    wow.     To think that I might be only 30 minutes from Fort Peck this summer.    Might just have to bring some fishing gear.   
     Those are some truly amazing fish, each one in itself a true trophy of a lifetime.
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline perchfisher89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2005, 03:19 PM »
2 words, H-O-L-Y   C-R-A-P!!!  :o :o :o

How much did that pike weigh? I bet its a record! That lake trout is bigger than the biggest saltwater (bigger than freshwater) salmon I have ever seen aswell..WOW! :o

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2005, 03:40 PM »
That Lake Trout looks like a shark.  :o I thought a 10 lb Togue was big. You need some muscle to pull one of those things up.  :flex: They are monsters.  :clap:

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2005, 03:41 PM »
Oh......My........God.  :o WOW!!! Man, I've got to tell you, it's a good thing that Ft. Peck isn't in NY, or else I'd have one hell of a bill at the taxidermist!  :clap: How big is that laker?! And the pike?! I also see that you have a nice burbot on the stringer with the eyes....if I only had more money, a roadtrip would be a possibility!

-Zach

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2005, 04:16 PM »
its guys like you and ice troll that make me so jealous! That laker is a monstrosity

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2005, 04:17 PM »
  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o  WOW! is all i can say  :o :o :o :o
Jason

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2005, 04:46 PM »
awesome fish. those are unbelievable. wtg.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2005, 04:51 PM »
Where is this Ft Peck place and whos gonna meet me there ??????????

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2005, 05:03 PM »
You guys are all good icefisherman I seen the pic's of Camo fish, slipbob,Thriller,Frozennuts, etc. The quality of fish are there, you just have to spend some time there. If you need any info just contact me I will help if I can.
              I have been to Peck before when fishing was very tough its not always slam dunk! I have been going there since 1987. The early years we did not pack a camera.  We have caught some pike that would make the one I posted look small.
             I have caught many laker's but that fish was the biggest I caught 1997.
The rest of the fish were caught in 1996 on one trip. Most come off tip-ups. some jigging. Although I caught the pike in the picture at night on a rattle reel in my fishhouse, What a wreck that was slime everywhere. My walleye weighed 14lbs and my buddies was just shy of 15lbs.

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2005, 05:17 PM »
WOW,those are some big fish very nice,i would love to catch fish like that through the ice.Even if you only caught one it would make the trip worth it.Hey coldbum my wife has reletives in Montana i think thats where Ft. Peck is.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2005, 05:26 PM »
i just found out where they use 12" augers ;D

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2005, 05:33 PM »
i just found out where they use 12" augers ;D
LMAO! ;D

Offline TJ Bauer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2005, 07:25 PM »
Very nice fish I think we all wish we could have a trip like that

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2005, 09:10 PM »
Wow.....I gotta go clean my shorts....... :-[

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2005, 08:49 AM »
I think I'm gone west :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
     Jim

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2005, 09:51 AM »
SPEACHLESS    :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2005, 02:30 PM »
Thanks BigIce. You just drove a point home that I have been trying to make for several years now. Like BigIce said, Ft. Peck is not always slam dunk and sometimes you have to work really hard for those fish. We don't fish Ft. Peck with all of our tipups in the area the size of a football field but rather spread out sometimes 10 miles or more. With three guys, using 6 tipups a piece and no attendance law, you really want to use that to your advantage. We are constantly relocating and moving unproductive tipups and with 10 to 20 mile roundtrip runs on the ATVs, you don't have much down time. I never fish Ft. Peck for less than 6 days at a time and prefer trips of at least 10 days. You have got to put in your time on this lake and some days you may only ice one or two fish. The good thing is those one or two fish are going to be pigs. As BigIce stated, anyone truly interested in fishing Ft. Peck need only ask either one of us and we will help you anyway we can. I would be more than happy to personally take anyone of you that want to ice fish Ft. Peck if you plan your trip around my annual adventure in the first week of February. Any good quality tip up spooled with the right line and the right leader will work on Ft. Peck. Tipups that are made with a nail hammered through your vertical post holding on your reel are a really baaaaaaaaaaad idea on this lake. Anything other than a steel or wire leader and you are wasting your time. When one of these fresh water sharks hit your minnow and takes it for a ride, they spool you in seconds and hit the end with a full head of steam. You better have some stout equipment to hang these fish or you will be left with a broken line or a demolished tip up instead of a trophy fish. It has taken me every bit of 10 years ( been going to Peck since 95) to find the right set up and I learn something to improve my set up every year. Tipups filled to the brim with line are also a bad idea. You will get spooled every time and will spend hours with cold fingers trying to wind 100 yards of line back onto your reel. It looks like BigIce knows what it takes to fish Peck as well. For those that don't know, Ft Peck Reservoir is in North Eastern Montana and is a Missouri River Reservoir. It is a about 126 miles long and 27 miles wide at its widest point. It is one of the largest man made reservoirs in the United States if not the largest. It is truly an ice fishermans paradise and worth every penny you would spend to get there. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Would you agree BigIce.

:flex:

IceTroll
     :callcops:
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2005, 03:30 PM »
Icetroll,
          It is evident you have done your homework. Everything you have said is exactly right. Covering lots of water is the key. Making sure your equipment is rigged right. Like I mention to you in an early email. On one trip 10 days I almost put 500 miles on my wheeler, thats 50 miles a day. I don't put 500 miles on my wheeler all summer long. We need to get together sometime and visit. I have a son that goes to College in Casper and I make trips there quite often. One other thing Years ago I took a fellow I won't mention names but he owned Bullwinkles bait shop do you know him.
         Also that is one hell of a Gator makes mine look small!!!!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2005, 04:15 PM »
STOP THE PUBLIC SWIMMING IN THAT LAKE BEFORE SOMEONE LOOSES A KID :tipup:

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2005, 08:03 PM »
I have never seen so many fish of that size from the ice.  How big are the holes your fishing?  Dog gone man,you'd need a hole the size of a volkswagon bug to pull that laker out of, and those walleye, oh my god man.  and the lake looks empty except for you guys?
Carp

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2005, 10:37 PM »
Carp 1,
          The lake is very low right now but it is about 130 miles long. It is pretty desolate except the south west end has some pretty rugged country to it. All of the fish come threw 8" holes. Laker's make some pretty incredible runs before you see them.

Gilles

« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2005, 10:47 PM »
Wow you guys have had some tremendous days at that lake! Here's a few I've caught around Colorado.
Blue Mesa 10lbs.

6lb 25"

24" cutbow from Spinney

another

34" 15lbs

11lb wiper

A buddy wanted to mount one so I kept this 16lber from Blue Mesa through the ice.

36 incher

25lbs

34lber.

There goes a 24 pound from the Gorge.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2005, 03:44 AM »
Nice fish Gilles. You have caught some very nice Lakers yourself. Love the Wiper too. Wish we had those around here. I hear they are a great fighter. Correct me if I am wrong but they are a sterile White Bass/Striped Bass hybrid are they not?

To answer your question Carp1, I have never had a problem with a 9" hole. I have seen 30 lb Northerns and Lakers come through a 9" with absolutely no problem. Thats what we use exclusively.

IceTroll
     :callcops:
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Pickeral Pete

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2005, 07:15 AM »
Big Ice,

That guy you speak of with the bait shop, took me and the Ice Troll both to Peck on our first trips.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2005, 09:25 AM »
Gilles, Wow you have had some wonderful fishing yourself those are some awesome fish. Are those cuts? beautiful color. Great Laker's, great pic's.

Pickeral Pete,
                    I was wondering, There is not a bunch of hard core Peck fisherman out there,It becomes a small world. Also there is a group that comes out of Sheridan that is pretty serious about fishing Peck. I took a guy a that lived in Story years ago and he got hooked, and started that bunch, he has since moved away.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.