Author Topic: Calling All Fly Tiers, Jig and Lure Makers.... Wounded Warrior Program  (Read 5066 times)

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
This is simply a probe to understand if any of you proud shanty members would be interested in creating lures, flies, etc  one time or occasionally, for disabled vets being introduced to fishing here in Colorado and elsewhere.  The prevalent species here remains by design of the DOW - Trout (#1 Rainbow, #2 Cutbow, and up north #3 Lake Trout)

One of our own Shanty members donated some lures to my friend Stewart, a disabled vet, and they are nothing short of AMAZING.  It became the impetus to expand this beyond one person in order to help as many as I and others are willing to! 

I've sent out a few emails (10+) yesterday seeking contacts of those working in the fishing programs with vets.  Here in Colorado Springs we have the Air Force and Army represented well.  There are many returning here beat up in Spirit, Soul, and Body - I am going to give back to them.  How about you?

Ping me to let me know of your interest and also your contact information (name and phone # only).  I will update you as this evolves into something good.  Hopefully the shanty mods will align themselves with this as well...how about an annual vote on best of class lures provided to vets?

My hope is your donations will eventually go nationwide.   If you're sending flies include your shanty name in the correspondence

Here's one such organization that I reached out to: http://www.warriorsandquietwaters.org/
Please take time to watch the 17 minute video at the bottom of the page

I've also reached out to communications departments of major insurers for their support to acquire materials, postage paid mailers, etc   Sorry, active brain what can I say  :roflmao:

Here is a comprehensive list of what Warriors & Quiet Waters Program uses, but any donations are welcome.

Dries
1.     Elk Hair Caddis in 14s & 16s
2.     Parachute Adams in 14s & 16s
3.     Lime Trudes in 12s & 14s
4.     Foam Hoppers (plus Chubbies) in 8s
5.     Stimulators in 10s & 12s
6.     Royal Stimulators in 10s & 12s

Wet Flies
1.     Soft Hackle Hare’s Ear in 12s & 14s
2.     Soft Hackle Lightning Bug in 12s & 14s
3.     Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail in 12s & 14s

Nymphs
1.     Bead Head Hare’s Ear in 12s & 14s
2.     Prince Nymph in 12s & 14s
3.     Golden Stone in 10s & 12s
4.     George’s Brown Stone in 8s & 10s
5.     Brown (and Black) Rubber Legs, weighted, in 8s & 10s
6.     Bead Head Flash-back Pheasant Tail in 12s & 14s & 16s
7.     Bead Head Lightning Bug in 12s, 14s & 16s

Streamers
1.     Wooly Buggers, weighted, in 6s, 8s & 10s (3x long)
a.     Black w/ black hackle, with some flash in tail
b.     Olive w/ black hackle, with some flash in tail
2.     Egg-Sucking Leech in 8s & 10s (3x long)
3.     Any good crayfish pattern
4.     Any good sculpin pattern
5.     Any good San Juan Worm (red) in 10s

Owe No Man Anything...

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Re: Calling All Lure Makers.... Wounded Warrior Program
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2012, 11:24 AM »
how about some like these i make

you would have to give me some time to make them cause they take a while but i would more then glad to help with this cause

Offline saskriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2012, 12:18 PM »
just a side note for all those that did what they had to do were they had to do it.

http://www.nipawinjournal.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3471331

still in the early stages but should be a good weekend

take care

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2012, 12:24 PM »
Howdy neveruminda,
  You are doing Great things here buddy ! :thumbsup: Can you PM me your address, I have a care package for you to forward to the program for me.

Thanks
Surf

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2012, 12:31 PM »
just a side note for all those that did what they had to do were they had to do it.

http://www.nipawinjournal.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3471331

still in the early stages but should be a good weekend

take care
that sounds like a great weekend anything i could do to help just let me know im only 18 but i would love to get involved with these types of organizations

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2012, 01:16 PM »
how about some like these i make 

Absolutely, nice work  PM me  with your contact info and I'll exchange mine   When I have contacts I'll ask to connect you directly so that I don't get in the way as an unnecessary middle man

Thanks for your offer to help and God Bless!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
Re: Calling All Lure Makers, Fly Tiers.... Wounded Warrior Program
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2012, 03:11 PM »
Great questions coming in:

Is it just flies, lures, jigs?   I've seen a mixture of programs depending on location  Here in the west (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc) there's been a number of fly fishing programs.  There's also been ice fishing events, lake fishing, river fishing (fewer of the latter as many are in wheelchairs)

Hope that helps

If you can't afford materials and postage I need to know about it... I'm working on funding sources with insurance industry and other industries as well.
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2012, 05:06 PM »
If you can't afford materials and postage I need to know about it... I'm working on funding sources with insurance industry and other industries as well.        I wish i could afford a lot of the money i can make a good amount but if you start telling me u need tons of them then i might need some money cause im only in college

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:37 PM »
  I wish i could afford a lot of the money i can make a good amount but if you start telling me u need tons of them then i might need some money cause im only in college

There's no need for you or any other person to feel self-pressured to send more than a few

Until I get contacts established to whom we can donate flies and lures, I'm asking for contact info from the willing.

After I get contacts, I'd hope for the willingness of one time gifts (flies, lures) from others.  If any person wants to do this a few times that's entirely their call alone.  These are hard times - some may have the materials and talent and not the postage - I get it and want to help if funding comes in   

This all takes a lot of ramp up time just like other efforts I've spearheaded on Shanty.

That's my message now and in the future so you can put a period after it!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2012, 08:17 PM »
There's no need for you or any other person to feel self-pressured to send more than a few

Until I get contacts established to whom we can donate flies and lures, I'm asking for contact info from the willing.

After I get contacts, I'd hope for the willingness of one time gifts (flies, lures) from others.  If any person wants to do this a few times that's entirely their call alone.  These are hard times - some may have the materials and talent and not the postage - I get it and want to help if funding comes in   

This all takes a lot of ramp up time just like other efforts I've spearheaded on Shanty.

That's my message now and in the future so you can put a period after it!
ok i will send some out to you just give me your mailing address

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2012, 10:08 PM »
my dads business personally takes vets out for the buck up for wounded warriors program and fishing for the program here in montana as well. i have personally seen how much these programs help the recovery process.. last week my brother (an army vet and president of the wounded warrior program in kallispel) just put on a boxing smoker to raise funds.  it makes me proud to be here seeing support from fellow hard water feaks... THANK YOU

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2012, 07:43 AM »
Steven J Cooley
6905 Alpaca Heights
Colorado Springs, Co 80908-6135
ok thank you i will be sending them out soon!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2012, 08:21 AM »
I would be willing to donate some lake trout jigs that I make and some lake trolls (Pop Gear) that I make. Let me know.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:25 AM »
I would be willing to donate some lake trout jigs that I make and some lake trolls (Pop Gear) that I make. Let me know.

Sincere thanks for the offer brother & no need for permission   
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:26 AM »
A note to all potential donors: 

if / when you send flies, lures, jigs, etc  Please include your shanty name on envelope or note within
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
I heard back from  www.warriorsandquietwaters.org my point of contact is their VP Tom O'Connor.  Tom advised they do want to receive our donations (flies, lures, etc) and they are looking for year 2013 volunteers and financial donations whenever available.  Their HQ is in Bozeman MT

I work for a major computer manufacturer, software, and services firm and was able to sign them up for matching funds program   They are contacted by the nonprofit and asked for all paperwork to validate the organization, if all checks out they must raise $4K total in 30 days from at least 50 separate donors.  If accomplished they then are eligible to receive $4K matching funds. Additionally, they are listed on this non-profits website viewed internationally and they become eligible to receive donations from world wide sources.  That ought to make their day :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:  30 mins of my day well-invested ;)2
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I've been known to tie a fly or two ;D

Any idea what patterns they use?

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
Any idea what patterns they use?

They have several pro fly shops in the area that support this effort, I will ask and get back to you

Thanks and God bless  :angel for your willingness to help!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
Here is a comprehensive list of what Warriors & Quiet Waters Program uses, but any flies are welcome.

Dries
1.     Elk Hair Caddis in 14s & 16s
2.     Parachute Adams in 14s & 16s
3.     Lime Trudes in 12s & 14s
4.     Foam Hoppers (plus Chubbies) in 8s
5.     Stimulators in 10s & 12s
6.     Royal Stimulators in 10s & 12s

Wet Flies
1.     Soft Hackle Hare’s Ear in 12s & 14s
2.     Soft Hackle Lightning Bug in 12s & 14s
3.     Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail in 12s & 14s

Nymphs
1.     Bead Head Hare’s Ear in 12s & 14s
2.     Prince Nymph in 12s & 14s
3.     Golden Stone in 10s & 12s
4.     George’s Brown Stone in 8s & 10s
5.     Brown (and Black) Rubber Legs, weighted, in 8s & 10s
6.     Bead Head Flash-back Pheasant Tail in 12s & 14s & 16s
7.     Bead Head Lightning Bug in 12s, 14s & 16s

Streamers
1.     Wooly Buggers, weighted, in 6s, 8s & 10s (3x long)
a.     Black w/ black hackle, with some flash in tail
b.     Olive w/ black hackle, with some flash in tail
2.     Egg-Sucking Leech in 8s & 10s (3x long)
3.     Any good crayfish pattern
4.     Any good sculpin pattern
5.     Any good San Juan Worm (red) in 10s

Owe No Man Anything...

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
I heard back from  www.warriorsandquietwaters.org  they do want to receive our donations (flies) and they are looking for 2013 volunteers and financial donations whenever available.  Their HQ is in Bozeman MT

I work for a major computer manufacturer, software, and services firm and was able to sign them up for matching funds program whereby they raise $4K in 30 days and receive $4K matching funds. Additionally, they are listed on a website viewed internationally and become eligible to receive donations from world wide sources.  That ought to make their day :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:  30 mins of my day well-invested ;)2
I would go and volunteer there but i cant afford the flight out there!

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sorry i didn't have time to send them out i have to go back to college but i will be back home in a couple weeks i will send them out then again sorry

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
Sorry i didn't have time to send them out

There's time and you're doing fine 
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>

I had some flies tied in preparation for this season but there will be a package coming your way tomorrow.  ;)

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
I had some flies tied in preparation for this season but there will be a package coming your way tomorrow.  ;)

A heartfelt THANK YOU and God Bless!  It will mean much to the vets when they read an included letter that it was not something "store bought", it was instead something hand crafted, intentional. and for a specific cause.
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
ok thanks i will let u know when i send them out

surflizard

Jigs are heading out to you Tomorrow, I hope they help some Good Luck.

Surf

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
Jigs are heading out to you Tomorrow, I hope they help some Good Luck.  Surf

Thanks and God Bless Surf... if donations continue to come in I'll forward them to Tom O'Connor (their VP) in batches.  Thanks for taking part.
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
submitted my application to volunteer onsite in early August... my employer allows 4 hours per month volunteer time and you can elect to use all 48 hours for any single event or spread the hours out.  My app was a late entry so only time will tell.

Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:10 AM »
my dads business personally takes vets out for the buck up for wounded warriors program and fishing for the program here in montana as well. i have personally seen how much these programs help the recovery process.. last week my brother (an army vet and president of the wounded warrior program in kallispel) just put on a boxing smoker to raise funds.  it makes me proud to be here seeing support from fellow hard water feaks... THANK YOU

That's awesome to hear what he's doing and the difference being made.  Tom O'Connor (VP @ WWQW) related that words can't express what it does for those attending   For many, it's simply healing / life-giving to them.  Whatever the price, it's worth it.

My first exposure to PTSD was during a role I fulfilled in 2010   I had a couple of guys on my team that were pretty beat up. It
was tough to witness and daily it caused you to pause and be thankful for what they were willing to sacrifice.  This costs me my interest and time and eventually some $   Small price to pay in comparison
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>

Steven a package of flies went out today. I truly hope it will give some enjoyment to our patriots.

Doug

Those who are brave are free ..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.