Author Topic: 1lb vrs 2lb test line  (Read 12842 times)

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
1lb vrs 2lb test line
« on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:38 PM »
I know there are some guys that don't see the need for 2lb test line and lighter... In some cases 4lb test will work just fine.

For those of you who do use 2lb and lower... Why do you prefer 2lb over 1lb, or vice versa?.   I've tried 2lb and 3lb test and like them both.  Considering getting some 1.5 or 1lb test though.
What is a good brand for lines smaller than 2lb?

I've stuck w/ p-line but unless I'm mistaken they don't produce anything smaller than 2lb.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: 1lb vrs 2lb test line
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:56 PM »
For me it's all about getting the lure to do what it needs to to trigger the bite.  Afterall it's really about line diameter and not just the package labled line test.  For example Gamma ESP 2# line test is listed at .100 mm which is the same diameter listed as 1# Trilene Microice.

Look for fly line tippet material.  I've personally don't do enough light line finesse fishing to warrant it.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:06 PM »
I've even used sewing thread that 1/4 test. I fish a very gin clear reservoir and 4 lb test looks like cable. The bulls and crappie are line shy 2lb works well,the fish bite and not to many break offs.  1 lb breaks to much for me.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:23 PM »
Yeah I like 2lb test... and don't have any strength issues with it as I set my drag correctly.  Haven't had a break off yet unless it was a trout after i got him out of the ole and he wrapped around something.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:25 PM »
DAM Tectan Premium Plus  2# diameter is.0031 or .08 mm, very small diameter.  I have never used it but might consider it next yr. It is a monofiliment line.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Depends on the brand and how it's rated. IGFA rated lines break at just over the test rating, 2# rarely breaks at over 2.1#. The more widespread lines, Trilene, Stren.......... a 2# line is usually over 3# if not 4# when it breaks, so # test is usually meaningless. Get a IGFA rated flourocarbon line with the smaller diameter and you'll never go wrong. My basic line is ASSO Micron 3 in 2#, .004", sinks like a rock and tough as nails

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2012, 02:48 PM »
I used to use 4lb and thought it was small.  Now I have 4 pound on 2 rods and wonder why I have anything so heavy.  I have tried the sewing thread at 3/4 lb test but it is not as good a product as "fishing line" and has inconsistent strenghts.  As said above, some lines with 2# test have very small diameters.  My biggest problem with line under 2 lb test is handling it.  It is hard to tie when fingers are cold(so I just by more rods and change rods when I want to change lures.  That is how smart I am!)
And if you get a Wyoming wind a blowing, sub-2 lb line can get hung up on lots of little projections on the ice.  But I do believe it makes a difference at times.  I do break off and re-tie fairly often.   I have been playing around with palm rods and buy a fly-fishing leader material spool-30 yds. and use it.  I like the flourocarbon lines.
Also, many lines have breaking strengths significantly higher than what they are marked.
Some 'gills I have fished for have been very line shy.  2-lb line has made difference for me for mid-season perch as well.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:52 PM »
P-line 2lb fluoro.  Or P-line "Fluoro-ice"  are very high quality in my opinion.  Can't knock either lines for anything.  I love 2lb.  I don't think I'll ever go back to 4lb unless I'm fishing in a lake with eyes and cats.  If you set your drag right you'll never lose a fish.  Just keep an eye for little nicks from the ice, etc.  Retie as often as you need.  It does make a difference... the smaller the lure you use ice fishing the smaller line you  need to keep "feel" with the lure.  4lb test on very small ice jigs just doesn't cut it...

Plus it's fun playing big fish on 2lb test...  ;)

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:27 PM »
I havent used anything lighter than 2lb test, and Im not sure I will need to for awhile.

I use 3lb test in Asso floro, HT ice mono and Trilene Micro Ice, and 2lb in Asso floro, Sunline mono and Micro Ice. Those give me a bunch of options out on the ice, and all have been working well 2 years running.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Your jig needs to pull the loops out of your line... it's that simple. I use primarily 2lb line because the majority of my panfish jigs are small, light, and slow sinking. It would take a half hour to get a #12 jig down 45 feet to a suspended crappie with 4lb line, because thicker line sinks more slowly. When the jig got down there, I would never be able to detect a strike because the line would not be pulled straight. 90% of my crappie and bluegill fishing is done with 2lb test. I use 4lb for much heavier walleye jigs.

I have a love-hate relationship with 1lb... it's really nice to fish with, but all it does is break. You gotta have some awesome eyesight to tie a knot in it too. My eyesight stinks!

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:02 PM »
I also would recommend the fly line tippet (FLOROCARBON). It's very strong and tuff for the size. Have used it for years. Cost is high for the amount you get but I use it just for the last 15 to 20 inches on my two rods for gills and crappies. This is tied to 2 lbs. test high vis line with a uni not. Works great for me.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:43 AM »
I have noticed greater success since I switched to a 1 lb flourocarbon 10'  lead. I run 4 lb fusion crystal ice on my reels, in case I need to quickly make them ready for walleye. I just add a 10-15' lead of 1 lb floro on it. Most of my fishing is just for panfish.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2012, 06:17 PM »
 >:(Did you say "just" panfish?!    If gills were as big as bass it wouldn't be safe to swim in the lake. ;D

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:00 AM »
I was messing around with some Berkley micro ice #2 test and some flourocarbon flyfishing leader, also 2# test.   Micro Ice actually seemed stronger.  It is listed as 20 percent thicker.     The flourocarbon seemed to be inconsistend in break strength.  I was thinking about getting a tool a friend of mine uses to check his rifle triggers to do some testing.  I am trying to figure out how to take the knot strength out of the equation.  Any thoughts?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Knot strength is just as important as line strength... Why would you want to take it out of the equation? The line is only as good as the knots you can tie in it. That is one of the huge downfalls of fluro lines.

Good idea with the trigger pull gauge!!!! :thumbsup: I may have to try that!!

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:40 AM »
YOu are right on Skipper about the knot strength.  IT is the weak link-I think.  But,   there is variance in every knot I tie-even when I tie the same knot.  So I was just wanting to identify the strength of the line first, then if knot strength is issue, I may have to use different knots for different lines.   You are right, Knot strength is critical.   I just want to know what line strength with which you start.
I checked with my friend and I think his scale goest to about 5-6 lbs.  Which is enough for my panfish purposes.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Maybe wrap the line around a nail or something and tape it in place so theres no knot?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2012, 05:01 PM »
I was thinking about something like that.  I did wonder if I could just look at the break-it should be evident if it is a break at the knot or in the straight part of the line.    I sometimes make things harder they have to be. :P

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Palomar and improved trilene knots are nearly 100% when tied properly and tightened with spit in light line. Maybe you could try those.

Offline nurmimn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2012, 10:49 PM »

I caught this bass on 1 lb test berkley microice and a power noodle.

I use 1 lb and 2 lb for panfish all the time. I just have to check it more and retie. I have used nanofil 1 lb and 2 lb test line. The stuff gets down fast. You just have to check the line a lot more. Asso makes some 8 oz and 12 oz test line that I want to try.

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Num...,
Nice chub!  I want to try the nano-fil.  You say you have to check it often, is it knots or nicks in the line????
As thin as it is, I thought about using stronger line with the diameter of 1# test.
Again, Nice job on the big green fish.
Kirk

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:30 AM »
DAM Tectan Premium Plus  2# diameter is.0031 or .08 mm, very small diameter.  I have never used it but might consider it next yr. It is a monofiliment line.

I used the DAM tectan 2# this year (although only about 8-10 trips)
Really like the way it handles on the ice, really limp/low mem....but the 2# was almost too thin. (to see & tie)
might go to the 3.1# for next year.
I don't think the fish will mind the extra .0008" dia.
If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Offline nurmimn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 29, 2012, 03:14 PM »
nicks in the line. You can go to 4 lb nanofil to regular 1 lb test line. Just what I noticed anyways.

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2012, 12:19 AM »
Thanks.

Offline Pout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2012, 10:02 PM »
I love 2lb. line.  I always tie a swivel about 20" from the lure and ONLY use palomar knots.  Caught a lot of pigs on the 2lb and my ultralight, as long as the drag is adjusted right you will rarely break off a fish.  The only fish I broke off this year was a Koke on the hookset, ran the line right against my crampons!  May take me awhile, but I love whipping good sized fish on that setup.  I usually run Berkley Micro-Ice or P-Line.  This year I tried the fireline ice line in 2lb with a 24" 2lb florocarbon leader.  I like it, but the fireline is a pain in the very cold weather.
Save gas. Fart in a jar

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.