Author Topic: Cast iron with electric cooktops?  (Read 33106 times)

Trooper Bri

Cast iron with electric cooktops?
« on: Feb 17, 2012, 07:54 PM »
I've really got the urge to pull the trigger and start getting into some cast iron cooking, but have always had an electric stove. My grandfather is an outdoorsman and has used nothing but cast iron his whole life. I'm 43 and have no doubt there's pieces in his kitchen older than me. ;) But, he's always cooked with gas. Maybe it's been that image of cast iron on fire as opposed to a coil that has kept me from buying.

So, can I use old school cast iron on an electric stove top? Pros/cons/precautions? Or do I need those hybrid cast and coated jobbies?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Cast iron with electric cooktops?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2012, 07:58 PM »
They will cook fine, heat is heat, it is just a matter of "Speed". Longer to heat up longer to cool off.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2012, 08:03 PM »
I've been told to never use cast on a glass cook top. Because of that, and the fact that they are horrid to cook on, is reason enough for me to never own another... ;)

I use cast on coils all the time. It works just fine. I would prefer a gas top, but that just isn't in the cards for me right now.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies. I figured the coil is a little less efficient than a flame. Any special attention for the seasoning on the bottom?

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:08 PM »
I use cast iron skillets on my electric stove for every thing i cook. Ive heard that you cant use them on the glass top because the scratch the glass. Witch i can see being as heavy as they are. To season mine i just use vegetable oil and put them in the oven at 350 or 400 for ten mins, take them out wipe them down, let them cool and do it again. If you thinking of a dutch oven stile cast iron. I have no info on that never used them sorry. But i love my cast iron would never use anything else to cook with. Also when you are done cooking on them you probably know but don't wash them with soap. Use hot water and a sponge or soft scrub brush that hasn't been used with soap and scrub them out. Shake the water off. put it on medium heat on the burner to dry the rest of the water. Them wipe with paper towel and more oil. Hope that's not to much info. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:49 PM »
trooper bri,
you don't want to season just the bottom of a cast iron pan. you want to season the whole thing. the easiest way i have found is to use an outside grill. you can use your oven, but it will smell up the house. put your pans upside down over the hot grill and let them heat up for an hour or two. this will open up the pores in the cast iron and get rid of nasty oils. let them kool to the point of handling and rub them down with some veg. oil inside and out. let them cool, and repeat the process a couple more times.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2012, 12:22 AM »
I've never used cast and am curious, why don't you wash them with soap?

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2012, 12:30 AM »
Cast iron are a "non stick" pans if you take good care of them. It sounds kind of gross to some people but if you let the "food and oil" build up on them they are a million times better that way. Washing them with soap takes the "oil and food off"  witch makes then a "stick pan".

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2012, 12:34 AM »
no soap....ever....it takes the seasoning (non stick attributes) right off the pan.  cast is porous and when it heats up the pores expand.  the seasoning is the oil you put in those pores when it's hot so when it cools and shrinks it forms a protective non stick layer.  i got my first one this christmas and i can already do perfect pancakes in mine...and they fry fish supurbly!!

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2012, 12:38 AM »
Some one told me at one time to season a cast iron good to pop pop corn in it. Never tried it. What do you guys think?

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2012, 12:43 AM »
maybe....but i've never heard that one.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2012, 07:47 AM »
No problems using them on an stove with the coil style electric elements . The heat is just a little uneven, but that's the nature of the beast. As for seasoning them coat the inside with a little shortening and put into a 325° oven for an hour or so, let pan cool and wipe out the excess shortening. After that, if you never wash it with soap yer good to go.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2012, 10:11 AM »
They work great for popcorn... ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ALMA0930

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2012, 06:30 AM »
all i ever use is cast iron cookware. i have been using it for years and have quite a collection of it. i have found a lot of mine in flea markets or yard sales. the older the better! if you buy in the store just make sure you dont get one thats made in china. i even use them in the oven to cook pies, bread ,meatloaf ect. you cant ruin them, if you do, just use a wire brush on them and start over. like they said, the soap drys em out, but sometimes you will have to do it. just put em back on the heat to dry, then coat em with oil inside and out..

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2012, 07:54 AM »
coconut oil makes them look like lodge preseasoning....it is smokey at hi temps but ...
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2012, 12:42 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies. I figured the coil is a little less efficient than a flame. Any special attention for the seasoning on the bottom?
I've used my cast iron on everything  from coils to campfires!!I just keep a VERY light coat of canola oil on it inside and out!! The bottom gets so well seasond that it slides around on the coils!! :o
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2012, 06:04 PM »
always heat your cast iron slowly.   if you put high heat under the center of a piece of cast, it will, in time, warp.   flames under steel seems to me like the way to go but, would never tell someone not to try electric.     would go EZ on the oil on the outside when using an electric stove until i knew how it reacted.  would hate to dump a fire extinguisher onto my stove/pan if the combo wasn't cool.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2012, 07:26 PM »
I wonder if there's a way to sort of polish or smooth out the bottom of the cast cookware so it doesn't scratch glass tops.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2012, 07:30 PM »
I wonder if there's a way to sort of polish or smooth out the bottom of the cast cookware so it doesn't scratch glass tops.
good luck. cast, no matter how smoothly polished will always be heavier and rougher than glass. told my cousin to use her cast on the outdoor grill until she got rid of her glass top stove.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:22 PM »
The answer to that is NO!! What part of NO don't you understand ??? Glass cooktops and cast iron do not go together! :cookoo: You can polish the bottom of your pan or skillet, but then you have to re-season it. A cast iron pan is quite heavy for a glass cooktop. It wouldn't take much to crack one! $$$$$$ It's a case of the space age meeting the pioneer age!! But it's your money, so go ahead!! :whistle: :woot:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:50 PM »
I have no idea why a person would attempt to use cast iron on a smooth-top induction range.... ???
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Trooper Bri

« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Almost forgot I posted this. Thanks for all the input guys!
Guess I have to go buy my 1'st skillet and work out from there. Is anything from Cabelas worth buying? That's the closest outfitter in my area that has cast. We do have a wimpy LL Bean outlet close too. If LL Bean ships online to stores, that's another consideration. Suppose looking for a kitchen supplier/wholesaler in the area is worth trying.

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Cabelas sells quality cast iron pans. Do a price comparison with gander mountain, sportsman guide and Lodge.

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Harbor frieght has a 3 piece set for $13.99.  not lodge quality but might be worth looking into.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:24 AM »
been using the lodge 14, 17", and dutch oven for years on my electric flat top.  does it get scratched and stained ? sure does, do i care?  heck no !   hey, I'M cooking here.  its a tool to pump out awesome food, not an art piece or trophy range.  i use it like its made to be used.  i wouldnt forgo the possibility of great fish etc. so not  to  scratch the stove top.  its not like your going to sell it.  use it till its toast and chuck it.   (i mean recycle it)

Offline Ole Sam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2012, 11:41 AM »
I've been using CI cookware for years too.  The house came with a glass electric cook top.  The CI works fine on them.  I don't care if the cook top gets scratches.  When it's really bad I'll replace it with gas.

My favorite pans are all Griswold from Erie, PA.  Long out of business but readily available on eBay or at "antique" shops, auctions & flea markets.  Modern cast iron just can't compare to these old classics.
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Lodge is o.k. If you want the best, griswold is it. All our frypans are griswold and they cook so good. We have a very large lodge we use for fish fryer outside and it was hard to season. But now works fine. One word of caution  My daughter used my no.8 griswold to fix breakfast years ago when she was a young teen, Kind of burnt eggs in bottom and attempted to wash it out. The water hit the hot pan and it cracked right across bottom about 3/4 way accross. Let them cool before washing. We wash them in hot water only with no soap. If you buy some take the time to find some griswold or old lodge. You will be happy you did.  Steve

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jul 22, 2012, 08:14 AM »
cook fish in them or make french fries. Then just wipe it out. Good and seasoned after ether one.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jul 22, 2012, 09:37 AM »
Here is an answer to the ORIGINAL question ;D

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7767988_can-cast-iron-ceramic-cooktop.html    ;)2

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jul 24, 2012, 06:40 PM »
There is a great big sign by the Lodge display in my local fleet farm.

"LODGE CAST IRON COOKWARE IS SAFE TO USE ON ALL TYPES OF COOKTOPS, INCLUDING GLASS OR CERAMIC.

They gave a customer service number on the same sign too. I guess lodge is getting sick of this.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.