Author Topic: Got to love the Missouri Breaks  (Read 11731 times)

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got to love the Missouri Breaks
« on: Feb 16, 2005, 08:12 PM »
Just returned from my 9th annual trip to Ft. Peck Reservoir in Montana. Fishing was the slowest I have ever experienced it but me and my two buddies, Pete and Scott, fished hard and long and managed to pull some quality fish through the holes. It should be noted that I had three fish snap 30lb braided line like it was sewing thread and my two friends had at least 5 or 6 line or wire leader failures on monster fish.

Here is Pete with his wall hanger Walleye. Pete is such a big guy that the picture doesn't do the fish justice. This toad was 32 inches long and weighed an official 12.67 lbs.

Here is Pete with another impressive fish. This one was a Sauger that was slightly over 5 lbs. A definite hawger Sauger.

Then Scott got in on the action with a dandy Laker that went just short of 16 lbs

Another dandy Laker for Scott

and another out of the same hole. Then I decided to get in on the big fish and answered with this beauty!

She weighed 19 lbs and 13 ozs. It was cold as hell that morning and I wanted to get her back in the hole to release her. Never got a length on her but I was more concerned with this babies survival. Then I started hooking the walleyes. Not giants by any means but all 4 to 6 lb fish. They were all released since I suspected them to be brood females.

I figured this one earned her release. Notice her side reveals a run in with a toothy critter.

Then Scott found him a respectable wally

Then Pete decided he needed to catch some Laker's!

very cold that morning. Below zero

And another dandy Laker! Then Pete decided he was short on Northerns.

and caught this respectable toothy critter.
One morning I had a flag and pulled in this very fat Ling. I opened its mouth with the jaw spreaders and could not find the hook. I did find a tail and pulled out a Smallmouth Bass that had eaten my minnow and then been eaten by the Ling. Whatever works!

Then we had this Northern that we trained to come up into the hole and beg for minnows like a porpoise ;D

The adventure on the trip came when a point I had a tip up on decided to go bye bye. The ice collapsed and heaved, opening a crack that floated one of my beloved woodies out of the hole and into a crack between two massive slabs of ice.

And here I am being a dumba$$  :o going out to rescue my beloved friend. The point completely collapsed 5 minutes after this picture was taking making the water about 10 foot deep where I had been standing. Notice the safety precaution.

And what picture post would be complete without a hero picture. Me with my new Bombardier 650. She will do 67 mph with no snow on the ice like it was here.

Needless to say, we had a good time although it would have been nice to catch more fish. Something to look forward to next year. Take care and tight lines! 8)

IceTroll
    :callcops:
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Got love the Missouri Breaks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2005, 08:28 PM »
awesome fish and pictures, i love the one of the pike comin out of the hole. congrats on the nice fish. 

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2005, 08:40 PM »
more fish looks like u guys cught more fish that day then i do in a hole season

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:07 PM »
 Awesome pictures you got some hogs there.  :tipup:
Jason

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:11 PM »
im speachless...that is some amazing fishing :clap:

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:35 PM »
Wow, what a great time you must of had. This was a slow year for you? Looks pretty good to me. Those Lakers were giants.

Offline UPSTATE ICEMASTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Powers Of "FISH ATTRACTANT"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:48 PM »
 :tipup: I WANA FISH IN MISSOURI NICE PICS GUYS THATS SOME AWESOME FISHIN IT LOOKS LIKE  :tipup:
" JUST TRYIN TO GET HER DONE"

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2005, 10:12 PM »
Great pics Troll  :thumbsup: Wish I had been there. Took a big set of nuts to rescue that tipup tho. LOL

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Got to love the Missouri Breaks
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2005, 07:02 AM »
Wow!  :o

What a great time. Looks like I might have to add that to my fishing destinations.

BTW Ice Troll, are you having problems with low water up your way. Lewis and Clark Lake is full, but Randall, Francis Case, Piere, Ohae, and Peck are supposed to be real low. I have even heard Piere is 50' below normal levels. It didn't look like you have major snow cover which is bad news for the river.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline Deposit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm ready for some ice now!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2005, 08:19 AM »
Man...what great fish!! sound like you had lots of fun!!!! I'm glade you saved your friend. Good thing you had something to hang onto just in case you did take a swim.
"How like fish we are: ready, nay eager, to seize upon whatever new thing some wind of circumstance shakes down upon the river of time! And how we rue our haste, finding the gilded morsel to contain a hook"

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2005, 08:29 AM »
those are some awesome fish and some monsters too.  ;D wow, those are some real dandy fish.  :o AWESOME, oh yea I said that, **censored**G
Great pictures, hope for more tight lines and more pictures. Awesome job.  :D

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2005, 08:48 AM »
that must of been an exciting day. had one like that first ice and havent caught crap since. nice job you guys. at least you wont have to worry about drinking too much when you so busy catching fish.

Offline grandpa jack

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2005, 10:01 AM »
wow,you guys don't mess around with the small ones. I first thought they wer already cordoning off the scene of the accident with the yellow police tape.You wanted your friend woody back real bad.thanks for the fishing show.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2005, 12:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing your trip, looks like you guys had a great time, and caught some pig fish! I'm with red on this one, i'm speechless as well. FA!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2005, 01:10 PM »
Fozsey,

We are hurting real bad all over in the Rocky's for water. Ft Peck is down probably 100 feet and is probably going to get worse. You are right in saying there was not much snow cover in the area. Last year they got good snow around Peck but not this year. Where I live, in Central Wyoming, the drought is super bad. Pathfinder is almost non-existant now which is just a shame since it is an awesome trout and Walleye fisherie. Also, I go to Peck every February for my annual trip so if its a destination you would truly like to fish, we need to hook up next year. I would love to get a bunch of IceShanty guys on that lake for a week or so. I could guarantee a trip you would not soon forget.

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2005, 03:19 PM »
man o man, what beautiful fish...

Offline TackleTester

• IceShanty Rookie
  • sorry i'm late, fishing is more important
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2005, 03:22 PM »
AWESOME pics.....you really had a great day......I never got to catch anything through the ice this year, due to a lack of time so alll those would be welcome catches for me

Catch em up
Brian
CEO Tackle Testers International

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2005, 04:25 PM »
Don't talk to loud Icetroll, You might be having some of us PA boys in your pocket next year ;). Great pic.s and even greater fish.
         Jim

Offline northwind50°

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2005, 04:35 PM »
Awesome pics, nice fishing trips
It's important to be patient in life. ice fishing is the better place to find it and learning the real thing...;)

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2005, 04:47 PM »
Don't talk to loud Icetroll, You might be having some of us PA boys in your pocket next year ;). Great pic.s and even greater fish.
         Jim

D@m, PA boys jealous of us....that doesn't happen often...  ;D

IceTroll,

Pencil me in. I might just have to drag my boat up there this spring too.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2005, 04:50 PM »
That was one trip Northwind. I am serious Carpcatcher........... ..any time you want to come out west just drop me a line. I have no secrets that I wont share with the people on this site. I look forward to the day that I can fish with some of the excellant people I have met at this site. After all, Ft. Peck is a big Lake covering over 250,000 acres. It is 126 miles long. There is more big fish in this reservoir than you could possibly imagine and 50 different species (including forage fish). Best part is that there are spots on this reservoir that you are 100 miles from the nearest town and if you can access some of the more remote spots, you wont see another human being for days. If you scroll through the picture forum, I posted my pics from last year under the title "Rocky Mountain Variety".
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=11840.msg96925#msg96925 (last years pictures)

IceTroll

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2005, 04:57 PM »
Hey Fozsey,

We are talking about going back up for about 4 days the first week in May. Clint at Hell Creek Marina was telling us that they catch a limit of 15 pound plus Lakers from the boat in the morning trolling cranks and then fish the backs of the big bays from shore for giant northerns in the afternoon. You can fish with 5 poles from the shore using dead smelt under a bobber and those big hungry female pike just tear em up. Pike over 20 lbs are common with some over 30 lbs. The dead smelt is supposedly more productive than casting but I imagine a guy could do both with 5 poles. Might be a nightmare keeping track of all those poles though ;D. Sounds like my kinda nightmare :o. Let me know if you are interested.

IceTroll

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2005, 06:20 PM »
i love new york but im heading to montana next year :tipup:

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2005, 07:09 PM »
 :o.

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2005, 09:12 PM »
Sweet Pics man.
Carp

Offline Pickeral Pete

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2005, 12:39 AM »
C'mon little buddy, the lake is more like 30 feet low. Keep the place a secret would you. Half of Pennsyltucky will show up. ;D

MikeThePike

« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2005, 04:23 AM »
I'd gladly take that as a "slow" day anyday. Simply speechless of the size of the fish I've seen as being average fish from this place. Too bad NJ is so far away though.  ;)

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2005, 05:14 AM »
Absolutly Fantastic Icetroll, thanks for sharing.
Crappieloo

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2005, 08:36 AM »
IceTroll,

Great photos. We have talked of going up there for about 10 years now. Your trip made it a priorty for us next year. Have you ever found any jumbo perch while jigging for eyes?

dc

PIKEGUY

« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2005, 09:00 AM »
UNREAL :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.