Author Topic: Where can I find walleye?  (Read 466 times)

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
Where can I find walleye?
« on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:56 PM »
I'm 16 years old and I've never caughten a walleye before. I plan on heading out with a few buddies on our " winter vacation" and I just don't know where to go and how to catch them. I've heard that Carmi is a good place for walleye, I just don't know how to be set up and what to use and what not. I just want to actually catch one, even a little guy. Any info on how to setup for them and maybe even a good spot to try and catch one would be great. thanks.
"Ice is on the lake so we're going Fishin!"

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Where can I find walleye?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:17 PM »
My first bit of advice would be to post this in the state forum you live in.
I have no idea where Carmi is, and I'll bet most others here don't know either.  ;)

Also, check the specific species forums. 
You should be able to find info on particulars such as jigs/bait to use, depth, etc.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline meier247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:36 PM »
Do u own a flasher?

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:53 PM »
First things first... research your local area.  I have no clue where you are from but finding info for your specific area is the best start.  Then just try and try and try again.  I have pulled Eyes through the ice with homemade beaded snells and other lures that I use for perch, but there are quite a few tactics that will work well.  Eyes will be more  sensitive to water depth and structure than other fish so you will need a good sounder and a gps won't hurt either.  It is harder than summertime so be patient!  Best of luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.