The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Live minnows at Goldeneye  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Bloodndaboat

• IceShanty Rookie
Live minnows at Goldeneye
« on: Feb 16, 2012, 04:05 PM »
Just a heads up.  I'm new to this board, but not new to ice fishing and reading orders.  After a close reading of the orders my buddy and I concluded that live minnows were not allowed at Goldeneye, yet on every trip out we watched guys tending tip-ups with minnow buckets. ???  I talked to one of these fishermen and he assured me his wife had read the orders (always risky), and it was OK.  Even the guys I buy minnows from thought since it was in the North Platte drainage it should be legal.  The orders say minnows are legal in the North Platte River proper.  A call to the Game and Fish Casper office set the record straight.  Live minnows are not allowed at Goldeneye Reservoir.  G&F suggested we call the poaching hotline when we see minnows being used, but I don't think I have it in me to rat out fellow anglers so I'll just post this here, FYI.

Offline blockice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!!!!
Re: Live minnows at Goldeneye
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2012, 04:13 PM »
no MINNOWS dont be afraid to rat either g&f has turned that little lake into a gem want to see it get wrecked keep using minnows so they can grow up to be carp and suckers unbelieveable what people will do hey minnow users why not leave your empty glass budlight bottles on the shore when youre done fishing that will help too

FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:59 PM »
First, welcome to the Shanty Bloodndaboat! Second, Bass lake is the same here. You can use live minners at Boysen, Pilot Butte and Ocean lake but not Bass lake. Although i've never seen anybody using live minnows out there, you bet your butt i'd let the the warden know. I'd like to keep it a great kid fishery.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2012, 10:04 PM »
Spread the word people, we dont want the g&f to kill off the lake again in a few years, lots of money and time and evergy to do it.
><{{{{*>~---

Offline Bloodndaboat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Sounds like I'd better harden my heart and help the G&F protect that fishery.  I have not seen G&F wardens out there but a BLM enforcement officer stopped by and checked my buddy's license.  Anybody know if they enforce G&F regs?

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:07 AM »
Is there a connection between minnow users and leaving bottles on the shore? What about minnow users and hurting puppies.  No, no, wait... minnow users hate old people.  Minnow users better do it legally, apparently we've already got a bad reputation.

Offline cantfishenough

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:29 AM »
perkhunter - I am not sure what your point is. I use minnows where they are legal and I don't use them where they arn't. I dont throw garbage on the lake and pick up the garbage I find. That is responcible fishing. Any other way is not. Those who don't follow the rules should not be allowed to use "our" lakes. Greedy self centered people who think their "right" to fish superceeds other people's right to fish are a blight and should be delt with by Game and Fish.

Offline blockice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:08 AM »
just to be clear i meant minnow users at gldeneye ill use minnows at alcova and boysen this weekend when i fish ive fished healy goldeneye and the gorge this winter and i knew the laws b4 i steped on those lakes sorry i just get worked up when i hear about people breaking the laws of the lakes
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:23 PM »
"cantfish"-  I didn't really see the connection between the minnow users and littering all over the lake.  It might be possible that they made a mistake and were doing what they thought was legal.  The minnow regs might be a little confusing to some... but to jump to the conclusion that they are trying to ruin the lake, as they would be if they were throwing their beer bottles all over the place, seems a little cynical.  With as many good wardens as we have around this state, I wouldn't think these villains would be out carrying their minnow buckets around for all to see if they thought they were doing something wrong. Maybe all they need is for a fellow fisherman to show them the err of their ways. Just a thought.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:35 PM »
Is it true minnow users also kick puppies?  :o

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:39 PM »
lol ok ok, I can't verify that, or that they don't like old people, but I don't think most of them litter either. I guess I would just hope that they were mistaken, and not really trying to introduce illegal species into a lake.

Offline bigsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:21 AM »
If you see someone using minnows out there just let them know that it is illegal and kindly ask them not to use them. It would be a shame to see carp or some other species get introduced out there.

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2012, 12:44 PM »
With everybody and their brother having cell phones or video recording devices.... I would be very cautious about doing any thing illegal these days. ( illegal bait, transporting live fish , to many lines Ect. ) You may find yourself stareing at an enforcement officer who has come by a video of you doing your dasterdly deed.   Thats why cops these days have video & audio recording equipment going in all their patrol vehicles.    Gonna be hard to convince the judge you are innocent when the video is played in court & they will likely be throwing the book at you for wasteing their time and breaking the law.   Think you are smarter than everyone else & can get away with it.....THINK AGAIN.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2012, 01:14 PM »
Lightning, Sounds like you have some law enforcement blood in you!  :callcops:

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2012, 01:55 PM »
Next time you have a run-in with a local LEO, notice that they have at least 2 pens in their pockets. Guaranteed one of them is a sound recorder..... ::)
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline spot mcclain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:36 PM »
No you cant use minnows/live bait unless they are in the waters the f&g says that they can be used in. Tricky but you gotta read a little more to make sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.