Author Topic: aerial survey of Lake Winnipesaukee by the N.H. Civil Air Patrol  (Read 5790 times)

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thumber thoughs are some nice pictures of the lake thanks for the post.

Offline jig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
great pix of the lake ! i hope everyone  cumming takes a good look..........
 as it will take more than a few cold nites to change things. thanx for the post
jig1

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks for posting that Ron,

Now people can actually see how much open water there is on the lake! Granted on the pc what looks like 2" is actually 50ft ::) 

DONT TAKE CHANCES GUYS! BE SMART -STAY SAFE!!!  ;)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
Cool pics
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

surflizard

No worries, the lakes are in good shape, but Meredith Bay is a little sketchy !!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

All kidding aside, thats the Worse the ice has looked in a lot of years ! Not much holding them together at all !!

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who thinks it going to be a early iceout ? any contests going on for a date ?

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
Who thinks it going to be a early iceout ? any contests going on for a date ?
winnipesaukee.com
I actually chose March 10th that's how early I think it will be declared, and I am usually still fishing then.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
 As always Thumber, thank you.

Even though I don't fish the big lake through the ice, Great pics / info.

JIGGIN.

Offline Trouty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
Wow, great pictures!  Thank you for posting.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Looking at it a second time, You can actually see where the ice had previously split/opened and refroze/skimmed over.
Also noticed alot of smaller holes too (in comparison to the cracks). Should be plenty of open water come April 1st ;)

Offline Bigtrout131

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the info!
Trout Fear Me!

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for posting those picks from F&G!  Awesome to see the holes how thin the ice really is out there.  Most people definitely can't get to where they  usually fish but I'm sure they will try.  Hopefully this helps some people think twice about heading out into some of those parts of the lake!

I know I'll be scouting out some locations away from the crowds but being extra careful as well.  Just for info, I know my cell phone works on most of the lake and I carry radios too.  Does anybody know a good emergency channel or phone number (other than 911) to call if someone does go in?
TP

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
Tom Washington from dive Winni is the man on recoveries...he does the majority of the work in nh...
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Awesome pics! 

Anyone feel like taking a dip? 

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well, I guess that explains the earsplitting pops and cracking noises................ .

Awsome picts. thanks for posting.  Plate techtonics in action on a baby scale.  Hope we don't get a big blow in Feb.

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yesterday while out n the ice, we heard a crack and boom that literally sounded like an explosion or large thunder crack during a thunder storm, it was CRAZY. Lasted a good 5 seconds too....It was the loudest and longest one I have ever heard.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
Monday on Newfound I watched the pressure ridge near us pull apart and push together over and over. Lots of wild sounds coming from the ice. Pretty crazy ice season for sure. The link below is pretty interesting. You can see why the Sebago tournament was cancelled. You can zoom in and see the ice cover.

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php?satellite=t1&product=true_color&date=2012_02_08_039&overlay_sector=false&overlay_state=true&overlay_coastline=true&sector=USA4&resolution=2000m

Capt. Black

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
wow cool pics.hope ppl use common sence looks dangerous.hopefully out of towners are paying attention.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yesterday while out n the ice, we heard a crack and boom that literally sounded like an explosion or large thunder crack during a thunder storm, it was CRAZY. Lasted a good 5 seconds too....It was the loudest and longest one I have ever heard.

We had that happen on Sunapee to..Just like real loud thunder under our feet,Then we all dropped like 3 inches...Scary stuff,almost gave me a heart attack...The ice sounds real differant this year to me,always cracking loudly..We could hear the water under the ice yesterday..We had 8" ice.
Jig em up!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Excellent post!
Bump.
Hopefully more people will see this before they head in for the derby.

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

surflizard

NH F&G were on wmur 9 stressing just how Treacherous the ice really is and with high temps again tomorrow possibly making it even worse !

Offline sweet lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • go deep or go home.
went out to check around noon it looks like we did 'nt loose any ice today. our holes from yesterday had refroze to about 3/4-1" pretty happy about that.i'm glad it will get real cold on sunday i'm pulling the house on monday.you can see my house on the other alton bay post.

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
went out to check around noon it looks like we did 'nt loose any ice today. our holes from yesterday had refroze to about 3/4-1" pretty happy about that.i'm glad it will get real cold on sunday i'm pulling the house on monday.you can see my house on the other alton bay post.

Is yours the red one out past that second ridge?
TP

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bump.
For those of you who missed it last night....
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
They are calling for snow tomorrow.....that could really make things interesting. Snow covering will conceal what little ice we have in spots

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.