Author Topic: Down scan imaging  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
Down scan imaging
« on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:20 PM »
I was flipping through the new BPS catalog and seen this down imaging unit by lowrance for $200. Anybody ever try down scanto through the ice? Or even a boat? How well do they work?

http://www.basspro.com/Lowrancereg;-Elite-4x-DSI-Color-Imaging-Fishfinder/product/53518000/247261?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Down scan imaging
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:54 AM »
I was flipping through the new BPS catalog and seen this down imaging unit by lowrance for $200. Anybody ever try down scanto through the ice? Or even a boat? How well do they work?

http://www.basspro.com/Lowrancereg;-Elite-4x-DSI-Color-Imaging-Fishfinder/product/53518000/247261?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Have to be moving at least 2mph for it to work. So you will need to drill connecting holes and walk 2mph across the ice for it to work.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:09 AM »
I have a down imaging unit on my boat, it's great for looking at structure and I find it not so good at showing fish when having regular sonar screen next to the down image screen.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:27 AM »
I was kinda hoping that one of the sonar manufacturers would figure out how to incorporate downscan/sidescan imaging into an icefishing unit when it hit me...it is alot more practical to just use an underwater camera for icefishing. Sure you need optimum conditions to be able to see with a camera all the time, but for strictly icefishing puposes the camera would work better as BBK stated you have to be moving for the downscan/sidescan imaging to work.

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:02 AM »
Ahh, didn't know the ducer had to be moving. Looks like I'm getting a camera.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Wait.  Here's a product development opportunity.  Lord knows we ice fishermen are suckers for anything new and improved.
I am proposing a remote controlled underwater transducer...one that could be directed to cruise under the ice...no wait.
A remotely controlled underwater camera.  Yeah that's it!  It would have to be wireless of course otherwise you would be
tangled up in lines and brush all the time.  Oh wait a minute.  Radio waves don't work too good underwater, now do they?
Darn.

MD

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Wait.  Here's a product development opportunity.  Lord knows we ice fishermen are suckers for anything new and improved.
I am proposing a remote controlled underwater transducer...one that could be directed to cruise under the ice...no wait.
A remotely controlled underwater camera.  Yeah that's it!  It would have to be wireless of course otherwise you would be
tangled up in lines and brush all the time.  Oh wait a minute.  Radio waves don't work too good underwater, now do they?
Darn.

MD

No, but sonar waves do work in the water, and are much more consistent.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2012, 04:28 PM »
This thread is starting to get expensive!!!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.