Author Topic: Small propane tanks for sale?????  (Read 7330 times)

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
Small propane tanks for sale?????
« on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:26 PM »
Does anyone know where to get one of those small propane tanks I think they are around5-10 lbs I seen them once and they were more $$ than the 20lbs tanks????

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline tommy jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Small propane tanks for sale?????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:34 PM »
Does anyone know where to get one of those small propane tanks I think they are around5-10 lbs I seen them once and they were more $$ than the 20lbs tanks????

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yeah they normally do cost more from what I can remember......Canadian tire had some a few weeks back, you could try there.

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:48 PM »

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
there a propane place( metro) on st james st, by polo park  , they have lots.. and adapter and hoses..
Where ever you go.. There you are!

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Any idea what they want for one? I have a big buddy heater and I am tired of using the disposable ones.....
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:08 PM »
At CDN tire they will run you almost the cost of a 20lb tank. I think it was close to $40. Could be a bit cheaper, but its more of a 1 time investment.

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:20 PM »
At CDN tire they will run you almost the cost of a 20lb tank. I think it was close to $40. Could be a bit cheaper, but its more of a 1 time investment.

....wishful thinking, more like $60 for an 11lb -er.......(a five pounder is fifty bucks)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQAccessories/BBQTanksBriquettes/PRD~0852063P/11%252Blb%252BOPD%252BBarbecue%252BTank.jsp?locale=en

Offline quickstrike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Last year some of us on the site bought smaller tanks / flexible hoses from a guy in south St. Vital. If I still have the email I will PM you. A refurb 10lb tank that was good as new was $30.00 I found the 10lb size a lot better than dragging my 20lb tank out each time - I could use another one myself.

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:58 PM »
I found the 10lb size a lot better than dragging my 20lb tank out each time - I could use another one myself.

I felt the same when I first bought it, but changed my mind pretty quickly since I was never sure if it gonna last me the next day......and what bothered me a lot was that to fill it up it costs almost as much as for a 20 pounder less 3 bucks, and had to do it quiet often.......couldn't believe it!!!

Offline jigisup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:20 PM »
I paid 75 for my 10 lbs. tank two tears ago at metro propane

Offline thebigfresh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:45 AM »
I have a friend that bought a nozzle for his BBQ tank that would refill the disposables.  I witnessed him
do it so no bull!  He just screwed the disposable on and opened the big valve for a certain length of time (1 minute I think) and then it was full.  I'm sure they come
with proper instructions.
I use a kerosene heater so don't
need the propane.
"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't"
George S. Patton

Offline jasond7mm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:10 AM »
they don't sell those adaptors in canada (at least i've never seen them)... buddy got one from Cabelas in grand forks... about 15 bucks.
they are kinda dangerous, have to freeze the 1lb'ers and then fill for 1 minute. no safty feature at all (prob why they don't sell here) but way worth it considering how much they charge for a 1lb when it 12 bucks to fill a 20lb at Costco.

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:10 AM »
FYI, those tank fill adapters are not legal for sale in Canada, having said that I've used them and they work great.

Offline DutchSupreme

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:44 AM »
What do you guys mean there illegal??? There selling them at the fishinghole right now for $20

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2012, 01:35 PM »
My apologies, I stand corrected. 2 years ago I looked for 1. Was told they were not legal for sale in Canada, doesn't mean illegal, just unavailable. If they are at Fishing Hole I will be picking one up.

Offline MONSTERQUEST

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:06 PM »
One problem you mite encounter is the 1lb tanks will sometimes leak after you fill them, would suggest getting some mettle screw on caps think colman makes them

Offline jasond7mm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:19 PM »
if they are at the point where they leak... it's time to turf them. From what my buddy tells me, they can go about 5-6 refills ea before it's time to chuck them... I also will be getting one from fishing hole if they've got them

Offline mmmskids

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:30 PM »
There are a large number of sites on the internet that address how to do this including YouTube videos. Cheaper in the long run as long as you don't injure yourself in the process. Read about how it is done and then be careful.  Google how to refill dispoable propane tanks.

Good luck and play safe!

Offline DutchSupreme

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2012, 04:02 PM »
Ya I think it will be pretty good savings in the long run... just bought a 20lb for 41.99 filled at costco... its only 11.99 for a refill and the 20lbr is good for 10 years. 

Offline Ugly Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2012, 04:07 PM »
If the Fishing Hole runs out or the item they have is not what your looking for find someone with an eBay account and search propane refill.

I bought one delivered to my door for less than the cost + taxes at the fishing hole.

And I agree there is more than a wealth of advice on u-tube and the internet on how to fill them. My personal philosophy is to not over fill the bottels....just carry one extra, that's the beauty of the smaller bottle you can tuck them in any free spot of your gear.

And here is the max selling point in my book. I do not know why but CT @ Polo Park refills a 20lb tank for $8.90 (my local station charges me $16)

So do the math .....lets say $10 even for the 20 lb refill, that works out to $.50 per bottel to refill...I will have paid for my re-filler and be ahead of the game after the first 20 bottels.
If you believe you can.....or believe you can't....
Your right

Offline pishka777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:26 PM »
Don't forget to put out the cigarette before refilling :unsure: :unsure:   I use a 5 pounder with my Big Buddy and have the hose that doesnt need the filter    Works great and lasts a long time.  I do carry an extra 1 pound tank just incase.   Have a meter that I bought from Costco but have not instaled.  If you are looking for Big Buddy heater Princess on Portage I think still has a few

Offline keen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:30 PM »
Has anyone ever seen how tanks are made on "How it's made"?  They're made by machines and since a 10 lb tank is a lot smaller than a 20 lb tank material wise they should be less than half the price. Just another retailer rip off.

Offline tommy jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:50 PM »
Has anyone ever seen how tanks are made on "How it's made"?  They're made by machines and since a 10 lb tank is a lot smaller than a 20 lb tank material wise they should be less than half the price. Just another retailer rip off.

Could be a case of supply and demand.
There are far more 20 lb tanks sold than the smaller 10 lb ones.

Offline quickstrike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2012, 11:16 PM »
Could be a case of supply and demand.
There are far more 20 lb tanks sold than the smaller 10 lb ones.

I think it's more because the smaller tanks are considered to be more of a novelty otherwise there is no reason a smaller tank should cost more as less material is used in manufacturing.

As for filling the tanks I only go to Costco now - to fill my 2 - 20's & 1 - 10lb is not too far off what it costs to fill a single 20lb tank at most gas stations.

Offline CDNwiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:41 AM »
Got my5 lb'r at metro 2 winters ago. 65.00 i think :o . I know its more mula but i like the size @) 'cause it doesn't take up much space in my flip-over shelter ;D.

Offline mmmskids

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:04 AM »
My ten pounder of course weighs only half of the 20 and fits nicely into a 5 gallon pail for increased stability during travel. Costco will also refill for half the price of the 20.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:06 AM »
My ten pounder of course weighs only half of the 20 and fits nicely into a 5 gallon pail for increased stability during travel. Costco will also refill for half the price of the 20.
True......got mine refilled there last year. Got my cold weather hose and refurbished 10 lb tank from a fellow IS member. Great products at a great price....I'm a happy customer.
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Phoned Metro Propane today. A 10lb tank is $69.99 + fill. It all somes down to whether you want to haul your 20lb tank around I guess.

Offline BL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2012, 07:41 PM »
Bought mine at gander mountain 13$ works best if you put disposible in freezer for 15 min but keep 20lb in house at room temp works great .

Offline jason22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:46 AM »
I searched and found this thread, so I revived it from the deep.
Looking to use a 10b propane tank on a big buddy heater. 
2 questions.
How long do you find they last?  I got a Clam XL4000T (Thermal) 
Do you place your tank outside with the regulator hose or you still keep that tank inside?
Just curious what most guys are doing for set up and how they find the smaller tanks. 
Thanks

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2016, 09:57 AM »
I use one of those refill valves and it works great. They do sell them here in Canada now. I concur, use only one pounders that are in good shape. Any rust or dents......toss them. I mark the date of my refills and after 3 refills I toss the tanks. Follow the instructions, use a timer so you don't overfill and do this outside safely.  ::)
Blue Igloo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.