Author Topic: Pellet Stoves  (Read 3324 times)

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
Pellet Stoves
« on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:31 PM »
thinking about putting one in my house...What are your guys take on these

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pellet Stoves
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:43 PM »
I put one in a few years ago. It has a thermostat hooked up to it so, although it essentially runs all the time (has to keep a few pellets burning) it will really fire up when the temp drops below the setting. The one thing I don't like about mine is cleaning out the ash. The firebox chamber has to be sealed so the door cams shut very tight. The ash lands on either side of the burner cup and there's no easy way to get it out. I ended up fabricating some custom boxes to sit in the pockets where the ash deposits, and when full, I carefully lift them out and dump them. I still have to vacuum the insides, however. I made the boxes out of aluminum flashing. I don't know if other stoves are designed to make ash removal easier or not, but MAKE SURE YOU ASK HOW THE ASH IS REMOVED when your checking out the different models!!!! The only other complaint I have is the cost of pellets goes up EVERY year. Sometimes I might find a dealer that has a surplus in the spring and will unload them at a good price, and I will load up on them if that happens.

Although it sounds like  I'm not happy with the stove....I really am, I just prefer to tell it like I see it so others can be on the look out for things I find a pain.

Offline The Cod Father

• IceShanty Rookie
  • We Know Where They Live
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:31 AM »
I was thinking the same thing about one
How big of a hopper do you have and how long of a burn time do you get on it
Or I guess how many bags would you go through of pellets on a cold month lets say minus 20
You come to me on this day of my daughters Wedding, And ask me to go fishing....Well O.K LETS GO

Offline hardwateryooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:43 AM »
 I have a lot of experience on wood stoves and pellet stoves and just heating with wood in general. Pellet stoves are good in the right situation.I would say 1/2 of the people who have them like them..check out  " hearth.com " it's a very good forum,if you have never been on it it's a must when making a heating decision....
If my father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it!

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:26 AM »
Got a buddy that had one in a 3 bedroom cabin......corn/pellet stove......they heat like crazy and they do work very well the only thing is the hopper doesnt seem to hold enough to get a guy through the night.....Im not sure but I would assume a guy could put a bigger hopper on there and that would fix the problem but why should a guy have to put more money into something that already is costing him a pile....that same buddy well his dad actually has a corn stove in the basement of their home and thats what they use all winter long.....works just great and they never have any problems with it.....I give the corn stoves 2 thumbs up......

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:27 AM »
along with the how much they burn....the big one in the basement of the house takes 2 5 gallon pails of corn to fill the hopper.....thats enough to get through the night and in the morning you will end up filling it again.....they do burn through some corn/pellets but its well well worth it......

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:00 AM »
How efficient are they? The base cost for a unit seems a bit high. I would think corn would get real expensive.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:05 AM »
presently I run a pellet furnace  works just like your home hot air furnace set the temp and forget it  hopper holds about 4 bags heats the whole house havent burned 50 gal of oil in 6 years   starts and stops on it's own   heat not needed  shuts down relights in 3 min totally unattended  best heating purchace Ive ever made    It's a harmon pf 100
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:08 AM »
They work well for some people, but I would never own one. The price of pellets is tied to the price of oil, as oil goes up so will pellets. With a wood stove you can always can grab a axe or burn the furniture and you don't need power...

Offline mormyshka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:12 AM »
If you think of buying one - buy noise canceling headsets!
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I just wasted.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:15 AM »
40 lb bag of pellets easy to handle and as far as ash I only have to clean it out 3 times a year
as far as cost it is cheaper for me   check your self!    http://pelletheat.org/pellets/compare-fuel-costs/

Offline The Dad Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Love mine, throw in a bag of pellets and forget about it. Clean it out every couple of days with a wet/dry vac. Had one for at least 15 years.

The only drawback over a woodstove is you do need power...so unless you have a generator, they are useless during a power outage.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:16 AM »
If you think of buying one - buy noise canceling headsets!
mine is actually less than the oil fired furnace

Offline CharoS10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:56 AM »
i love pellet stove! only thing i wish that i can make my own pellet wood. its will make different! i put my pellet stove in basement to heat up the whole basement, so i dont have to use my oil heater in basement. My pellet stove is Breckwell, One of best kind.

here my pellet stove set up:

Offline CharoS10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:57 AM »
I forget to add, I do have generator so Im not worry if we got no power!

Offline murphy421

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:23 PM »
I owned a pellet stove and it was ok but if you want heat and I mean HEAT go with a coal stove! Same dimension stove but twice the BTU's (pellet 40,000 BTU vs coal 90,000 BTU) and coal is about the same price as pellets where I live. Has auto thermostat and can run the entire season without shutting it down for cleaning (or 2 tons) which ever comes first.
"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it".  ~Koos Brandt

Offline firegems

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:35 PM »
I agree with MURPHY421...coal burners are the ticket...cost ...efficiency...contro l the heat much better...only have to feed them a few times a day...minimal clean out for stove ash and pipe silt. Believe it or not...the Amish brought it to my attention, they mostly all have coal burners now. At one time you had to order coal by the tonage ... now you can buy it by the bag for easy storage and stacking. Good Luck!!
SO MANY FISH.........SO LITTLE TIME!

Offline murphy421

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:46 PM »
My Leisure coal stove has a 100 lb hopper that I fill every other day (course this winter its every 3rd day!). My only issue I have is trying to keep the humidity in the house. The stove top does not get hot enough for a kettle so my humidifier runs overtime trying to keep up. Course I also keep my place about 74 degrees in the winter. I like it warm! (inside)....lol
"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it".  ~Koos Brandt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.