Author Topic: What socks with black mickeys?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
What socks with black mickeys?
« on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:49 PM »
Hey all,
Got a new pair of Bata black mickeys back in December, but haven't had a chance to try them ( haven't had ice until now). This Saturday will probably be the day. 

What are the best socks to wear with these boots?

Thanks in advance.

Offline troutmster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What socks with black mickeys?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2012, 03:26 AM »
I'd say the best money can buy..
The black Micky's are only rated to like 20* while
the white are maybe -20..

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:47 AM »
According to the card that came with my black mickeys and many web sites, the black mickeys are rated for -20* F, and the white ones are rated for even colder than that, but each white boot is about a half pound heavier than the black ones (extra insulation).

I got the black ones because I didn't want the extra weight since they are heavy already, and in really frigid weather, I am in a shanty with a heater. I figured with a rating of -20* F for the black mickeys, and reviews from many owners, those should do me fine.

Any others out there with mickeys with sock recommendations? wool? 1 pair only? Cotton? Moisture-wicking socks or liners?

Thanks.

Offline SLH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:37 PM »
Polypro sock liners and 1 pair wool socks.  Do not wear cotton socks.  You might want to bring extra socks (both liners and wool)  change them and let them dry to keep your feet from getting too damp.  Hope this helps, it works for me.  Steve

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2012, 05:14 AM »
I have worn reg white crew socks with them and stayed warm in a shanty.  But I usually wear a medium wool blend sock with them because I don't want my socks to slide down and end up bunched up in the front of the boot! LOL The medium wool blend sock are plenty warm in my black Mickeys.  My buddy had the white bunny boots and he did the same.  You'll be happy with them on the ice.  You wont need a heavy wool sock or a liner type sock with your Mickeys.  Eveen though they will feel heavy, you will really enjoy how nice and comfortable they are.  It's kinda nice not having to "bulk up" your socks in the Mickeys. My 2 cents.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline JimF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Wool.

For the money the BassPro lifetime warranty merino wools can't be beat. A sock liner is a good idea too. Add an additional insulating insole if need.

I hope you bought them large enough.....tightness affects circularion = cold.

Did I say --keep dry!!

I've never been cold in my mickeys... {minus plenty]..

JimF

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.