The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: TIGER TROUT  (Read 9270 times)

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
TIGER TROUT
« on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:20 AM »
After catching some splake the other day i was doing a little research on hybrid fish when i came across a Tiger Trout with the amount of brookies and browns found in this state i was wondering if anyones come across one, or if they stock in this state

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: TIGER TROUT
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:34 AM »
I caught some in PA many years ago. Can’t remeber the lake....about an hour south of Binghamton NY. Never heard of em here. They looked mostly like brookies.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:36 AM »
aka yellow perch ::)

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:37 AM »
Here’s some pics: http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/kentucky/2007/03/beautiful-*****s-check-out-these-tiger-trout-photos

The ones we caught where definity mostly like the ones that look brookie/togueish
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:53 AM »
I think that I have heard of a few tiger trout in Maine, but not through the ice. 

They are stocked in certain waters in NY, but they do occur wild on occasion.  I captured a wild one while stream electrofishing in NY a couple of years back.

Cool critter.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:07 AM »
didn't Maineduckhunter post pictures of one they caught a couple years ago through the ice here in the state?
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:09 AM »
Great pics, Outdoorsman.  Didn't realize that that wild tiger trout were a possibility. Not intending to hijack the thread, but what's your experience been with splake.....any wild ones?

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:11 AM »

I was thinking the exact same thing.

didn't Maineduckhunter post pictures of one they caught a couple years ago through the ice here in the state?

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:26 AM »
Great pics, Outdoorsman.  Didn't realize that that wild tiger trout were a possibility. Not intending to hijack the thread, but what's your experience been with splake.....any wild ones?

The stream that I captured it in held relatively high densities of native brookies, but only a few wild browns.  That sort of ratio probably helps produce tiger trout, since the tiger trout is a result of spawning between a female brown and male brookie.

I don't have much experience with splake.  We may have captured a wild one while boat electrofishing in the Adirondacks, but it was small and we did not kill it in order to confirm. 
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:40 AM »

Thanks a lot for the info!

The stream that I captured it in held relatively high densities of native brookies, but only a few wild browns.  That sort of ratio probably helps produce tiger trout, since the tiger trout is a result of spawning between a female brown and male brookie.

I don't have much experience with splake.  We may have captured a wild one while boat electrofishing in the Adirondacks, but it was small and we did not kill it in order to confirm.

Offline WhiteSquall

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2012, 10:18 AM »
MDH
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=132197.0

Thanks for digging that up!  I didn't even recall, but I do remember now.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!

Offline oregonsonlyiceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2012, 11:47 AM »
Oregon F&W just stocked one of the high mountain lakes out here with tiger trout to try and get the tui chub population regulated. They are c&r right now. Ive heard they can overtake a fisherie within a few year. When that lake gets better ice I'll ice one and post some pics of them. Tight lines...

Simmy

Formally Simmy_04548 from Georgetown Maine..

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:32 PM »
A friend of mine caught one around my area once as well, in a stream thats full of brookies, and has a few browns as well. We didnt know what it was either at the time.
Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Like The Outdoorsman, I electrofished a wild tiger trout in Winkumpaugh Stream which is a tributary to Branch Lake in Ellsworth. The stream has lots of small brook trout, and is also the lake's major spawning site for brown trout, so they got together to produce a wild tiger trout. We used to electrofish this stream every year or two, but only saw the one tiger trout. It was beautiful.

Maine doesn't raise them in hatcheries. I understand that some other states produce them artificially in the hatchery setting, but egg survival of the hybrid is quite low. The hybrids are sterile.

Offline redneckskater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:18 PM »
dude i've never hear of this species until now
if the shack is a rocking, dont come a knocking

Offline chadroc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:34 PM »
the wild tiger is just gorgeous.  i have heard of wild ones down here in ct in brook trout waters but never have i caught a wild one.  ct stocks a good deal of tigers in the spring.....they are just cool looking fish:

if the trout are lost, smash the state.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Cool looking fish for sure.   although its patterns match a leopard more than a tiger.   I thought one was caught here in maine at one point. 

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:49 PM »

mdh caught one in maine last year i think . here is his pic .

Offline WhiteSquall

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:46 PM »
I would love to see Maine raise these fish, because the hybrids are sterile they focus on feeding rather than breeding. They are an aggressive fish and feed on invasive species.

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:49 PM »
I would love to see Maine raise these fish, because the hybrids are sterile they focus on feeding rather than breeding. They are an aggressive fish and feed on invasive species.
Just think what a tiger trout would do with the natural smelt population though. I could see them in put and take ponds that dont have access to bigger water bodies but places like Great Pond, Little O and that nature I could see them really hurting the smelt population since they are very aggressive eaters

Offline WhiteSquall

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:00 PM »
Just think what a tiger trout would do with the natural smelt population though. I could see them in put and take ponds that dont have access to bigger water bodies but places like Great Pond, Little O and that nature I could see them really hurting the smelt population since they are very aggressive eaters
True. If managed correctly I think it would be interesting.

But then again, bucket bios would probably ruin that too... :-\

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:04 PM »

That is exactly what they already do with splake. 

Offline Colonel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:21 PM »
We have them in NH, F&G stocks them in at least pond they have a write up about on their website

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:28 PM »
The difference between tiger trout and splake is that tiger trout are truly sterile, so their feeding goes just to growth and not to producing lots of eggs or milt. Splake are not sterile, and their feeding produces a certain weight of eggs and milt, rather than all going to growth of the fish. However, even though splake are fertile hybrids and theoretically could spawn, there is no evidence of them successfully spawning in the wild of Maine because the habits and behavior of the males and females at spawning time does not bring them together in the right habitat. Splake have been stocked in Maine for many years, even back in the 1970's, yet there has been no evidence of them reproducing in the wild.

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:47 PM »
The difference between tiger trout and splake is that tiger trout are truly sterile, so their feeding goes just to growth and not to producing lots of eggs or milt. Splake are not sterile, and their feeding produces a certain weight of eggs and milt, rather than all going to growth of the fish. However, even though splake are fertile hybrids and theoretically could spawn, there is no evidence of them successfully spawning in the wild of Maine because the habits and behavior of the males and females at spawning time does not bring them together in the right habitat. Splake have been stocked in Maine for many years, even back in the 1970's, yet there has been no evidence of them reproducing in the wild.

Exactly. 

Offline SparkyT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:43 AM »
Beautiful fish, but I always thought tigers had stripes.  Looks more like a Leopard Trout to me!  ;D

Offline SparkyT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:43 AM »
...or a jaguar

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:23 AM »

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose