The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo auger  (Read 17244 times)

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Eskimo auger
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:56 AM »
love my Eskimo, i have had it for eight years now and have drilled thousands of holes  with it.

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2005, 01:34 PM »
I just ordered a new Mako 10" from Cablea's, everyone else was out of stock. It was $280 delivered, hopefully by next week. My old Jiffy was killing my back, I've never liked it but it was a freebie that I put a new blade on and it still cut like crap!

Robb :tipup:

Offline Big_Ray

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishing rules
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2005, 05:45 PM »
   Yea Robb, I`m in the same boat, but I haven`t gotten around to getting a new one yet :-\  I think I will be getting an Eskimo... :) This string has been very imformative, and I want thank all Shanty members for helping to make a tough decision alot easier.
Ray

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2005, 06:45 AM »
   Yea Robb, I`m in the same boat, but I haven`t gotten around to getting a new one yet :-\  I think I will be getting an Eskimo... :) This string has been very imformative, and I want thank all Shanty members for helping to make a tough decision alot easier.

Definately a lot of info here. Thanks to everyone as well.

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2005, 04:15 PM »
YEAH   just got my Eskimo today. Ordered a Stingray  33cc, payed for Stingray but got a Mako 43cc for 211.99 delivered. Something actually went in my favor, can't believe that. 8)

Filled tank half full w/ mix and cap leaked. I called Eskimo/Aradison and they are priority mailing me a new cap. Extremely prompt and professional help there. Hope it is not the tank. Cap starts to crossthread when tightening and leaks out around the edges, no seal. I got it to stop leaking but cap is wicked tight. ::)

Anybody have a wicked tight fuel cap.  ???

Two primes, 1/2 choke, 1 pull and I'm running. Ready to blast some holes next weekend in Vermont.   Sooooooooo psyched.  :tipup:
Now I'm think about all the necessary excercise I'm loosing from hand auger. ;D

The one and only  thing I dont like it that there is really no good way to lay this auger down. All sides seem to have an issue when laying down. Jiffy's lay sweet either way on handles.   
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #35 on: Feb 24, 2005, 01:35 PM »
I got mine on(mako 10") Monday, put it together, filled it with gas, primed it and it fired up on the second pull! I'll be drilling holes with it tomorrow on Lake Champlain so I'll see how it cuts and let everyone know. The gas cap did seap a little but I tightened it a little extra and it stopped, maybe cause it's new, but if it keeps up I'll contact customer service.

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 24, 2005, 07:42 PM »
 Talked to Eskimo cust service twice and main dude today

Last Friday I called and told them gas cap was not screwing down tight and leaking
they were gonna priority mail . Should have seem Tues. no cap yet.

went to work where i keep the auger and the rubber grommet that seal the fuel line in the tank had blown out and actually torn itself. hummmmm. on the phone w/ cust service Yesterday Wed and no cap today. Then i spoke to main dude he said the caps take severals screw ons to seal correctly. So no new cap, no new grommet but I still cut 15 holes today   
WHATEVERRRRRRRRRR        ;)

PRIORITY  MAIL MEANS   $3.95 AND 1 TO 2 DAYS
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #37 on: Feb 28, 2005, 06:53 AM »
Went up to Lake Champlain on Friday, the auger worked awesome! Cuts like a hot knife through butter (24-30"ice), cut about 40-50 holes with no problem, it really runs nice, and that 10" hole is awesome!

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #38 on: Feb 28, 2005, 06:49 PM »
Went up to Lake Champlain on Friday, the auger worked awesome! Cuts like a hot knife through butter (24-30"ice), cut about 40-50 holes with no problem, it really runs nice, and that 10" hole is awesome!

Great news robb.  That 10" hole is the bomb for jiggin lakers. 

Yes it is!! When are you guys heading out again?

maineicemun

« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2005, 02:19 AM »
The problem is not the gas cap its the filler end of the tank it should be completely flat and mine had a bit of excess plastic there, just shave it down flat voila. Read my post in maine general about high speed jet tuning under 51 cc recoil... they run great out of the box but need high end tuning after break in. Love my eskimo !!!

51 cc shark quantum 8"  33 lbs turns 9000-10000 rpm all day. Have drilled over a thousand holes this year alone. Cuts faster than a jiffy at 1/4 throttle !!!

Sounds like some people just are  real tough on the recoil.

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2005, 12:32 PM »
I have had nothing but problems with this new auger(Shark Z51) since I bought it this winter.  It seems like a really nice piece of equipment that cuts great, runs great, but just doesn't stay together.  I have had two self-venting gas caps break, a leaky defective gas tank upon delivery(chip in the tank rim), and two recoil assemblies break in two months!  Every time I have used it in single digit temps, the housing that contains the recoil, which is made of plastic, has snapped leaving me with a useless, but expensive piece of sharp metal and plastic.  There seems to be too much compression in the engine for the plastic recoil housing when trying to start in the cold.  It is not from yanking on it too hard at all.  The second recoil assembly broke even pulling lightly, because I knew what could happen.  The company claims that this hasn't been a problem for them......but for me it has the last two trips!   I hear other people have had the same exact problem. 
If you do have one of these models with the new self-venting gas cap, make sure to loosen the cap when bringing it inside after fishing on a cold day.  The plastic cap will blow right off if the gas expands too quickly.  I just bought the Barracuda Plus to get me through the year, and I am returning the Z51.  I guarantee if your recoil has not broken yet on the Z51, in the cold, it will.

maineicemun

« Reply #41 on: Mar 16, 2005, 04:52 PM »
I have fished many bitter cold days this year and it has never busted ? My friends that dont know how to start it have yanked the hell out of it  etc.  Seems strange to me.

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2005, 08:35 AM »
You can pull it slow and easy or fast and hard....both ways it broke.  You'll see how thin and cheap the plastic that holds the center bolt in is.  The whole thing will break out right under the sticker.  Make sure you let me know when it happens.  It is only a matter of time.....and fortunately for you, the warranty is still good. 
I talked to the company again yesturday and they admitted to having the recoil assemblies breaking, and they were going to look into the problem.  They also said for now, they will continue to replace it so long as it remains under warranty.
I would suggest to anyone that has this model: call Ardisam and tell them your recoil assembly broke and get a spare so that you won't be stuck like I have so many times without a way to start it.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2005, 09:59 AM »
Sounds like alot of guys are having trouble with the recoils.  Sounds like they have a defective design and they should continue to honor the replacement part even if it goes out of warranty until they get the problem resolved.  After it is resolved they should issue the new recoils to everyone.  Alot of people read this site and I betcha they are aware of the Iceshanty site, so if you have any problems I would be telling them that they are getting some bad advertising here. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #44 on: Mar 21, 2005, 08:29 AM »
I have an update on my Mako, it cuts excellent, runs excellent, but this past weekend with the warmer weather the "self venting" gas cap became a problem :'(. The cap did not vent properly and it blew out the fuel line grommet and mangled it, now it leaks gas!! I did call customer service and they are sending me a new cap and grommet, hopefully it will be here by the weekend so I don't have to spill gas all over again!

Offline meat sticks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Oct 01, 2005, 08:26 PM »
At least yours still ran.  I had to return 2 of those stingrays, which at first glance where awesome.  Got a tecumseh, and that will have to do!

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Oct 01, 2005, 09:17 PM »
I ordered a mako just a few min. ago. bring on the ice.

Some one posted something about no muffler??? Is this thing gonna be loud or what. I fish on some channels that have a lot of houses on em. i dont want to be wakein people up at 4am.

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Oct 02, 2005, 09:44 AM »
I just bought an older Eskimo 8900 to begin with. I do not know much about em. Can anyone tell me anything about this auger, what blades does it use, etc. Anything I better look out for? If anyone could give me any information at all on this auger it would help me. I basically know zip on it. It was listed as new condition and at an OK price, so I took a leap of faith and bought it. Now I got this auger coming and need to learn something about it before I get out and muck it up or worse, me.

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Oct 02, 2005, 02:05 PM »
I bought an older eskimo auger last year. Off hand i cant think of what model it is. (is at my house while i am away at college so cant go look). It is an 8 inch with a single blade on it. I am not sure how old it is but i couldnt find any new blades for it. Does anyone know if you can get parts for older augers somewhere? No big deal if i cant get any i guess. Got it for pretty cheap so  i am not out much. Any help would be appreciated though.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Oct 02, 2005, 02:11 PM »
contact Ardisam Inc. They make the eskimo augers. phone: 1-800-345-6007 They are located in Wisconsin.
Ken                                          

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #50 on: Oct 03, 2005, 07:04 AM »
After I received my new cap the auger ran excellent, cuts awesome and had no problems with it.

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Oct 03, 2005, 09:41 AM »
DRabbit, from what I heard from Ardisam, if it has one blade like you said yours does, it is then an earth auger. I am not sure, but I think you will need to put an ice auger on to be effective.

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Oct 03, 2005, 11:50 AM »
I just saw an older eskimo 3 horse P on ebay for 10bucks. The guy charges 50 for shipping though. If someone lives near Somars WI and could pick up, it might be an ok deal. auction number 7187042304

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Oct 03, 2005, 01:15 PM »
Mine is definetly not an earth auger that i am sure of. I will have to look at this weekend and see if i can find  a model number. Either way its not really a big deal anyways just wanted to know if there was anywhere to get stuff for these older ones.

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Oct 25, 2005, 09:43 PM »
Seems to me that the Eskimo augers have DRASTICALLY INCREASED in price. A couple of weeks ago, I was checking the internet for augers and I had my heart set on an Eskimo. Cabelas has increased their prices about $100 per auger.  ???

I just ordered a new Mako 10" from Cablea's, everyone else was out of stock. It was $280 delivered (Posted by Robb on February 15, 2005.)

Today I see this on Cabelas:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=srchdx&rid=&indexId=&navAction=pop&navCount=1&parentType=&parentId=&id=0029151

This is over $100 in difference >:(

Could someone please help me figure this out? I had my heart set on an Eskimo, but with the sudden and dramatic increase in price I am now strongly reconsidering.
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Oct 26, 2005, 06:29 AM »
You may want to click here. Their shipping is very reasonable. I've ordered from them before with good results.
Ken                                          

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #56 on: Nov 27, 2013, 08:57 AM »
I have a question about the quantum blades on eskimo augers. Do they have 2 serrated blades? Or one shaving blade and one chipper blade?

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Nov 27, 2013, 09:13 AM »
2 serrated blades

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #58 on: Nov 27, 2013, 12:36 PM »
 Ok thanks

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Nov 27, 2013, 03:41 PM »
I have a Mako, absolutely love it, would buy it again in a second, and highly recommend it.  I would spend the extra few dollars to get the Mako because of the extra power.  It's always better to have some extra power especially when you're drilling through thicker ice.  I'm not saying the Stingray is bad or lacking power but I prefer the Mako's bigger engine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.