The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo auger  (Read 17245 times)

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
Eskimo auger
« on: Feb 06, 2005, 03:25 PM »
I'm tired of cutting holes by hand and I am thinking of buying an Eskimo Mako or Stingray. What are you guys opinions on either of these augers? It seems like these are most reasonably priced as compared to Jiffy or Strikemasters.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Eskimo auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2005, 03:52 PM »
 I have the Eskimo Barracuda with the 2 hp and and 8 inch auger with the turbo blades that I loved til I saw a buddy with the same auger, but instead his has the Quantum blades. I just put brand new blades on mine and he hasn't replaced his since it was new 5 years ago and his will out drill mine 2 holes to 1 and his is a 10 inch with the 2 hp. If you buy an Eskimo go with the Quantum blades. I have to order a new Quantum drill and blades for mine because you just can't switch the blades over from one to the other.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2005, 08:03 PM »
Mark, thanks for the advice. What can you tell me abou the under 2hp cheaper eskimos? Our ice here in sw Pa usually is only 4-10 inches. I have a bad rotator cuff and my hand lazer limits me on the amount of holes I can drill.

iceman480

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:58 PM »
I have aMako 2 horse 10 inch auger I like it alot cuts good and starts every time never had a problem with it.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2005, 02:56 AM »
The next one I want is the Eskimo 33cc Stingray, cheap and very good power and cutting action, so they say.
You can find it here: http://www.cabelas.C0M/products/Cpod0029151.jsp

[/img]

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2005, 03:50 AM »
 I haven't seen any in action, I can only tell you about the 2 and 3 hp augers. Good luck.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2005, 06:53 AM »
Just go with the 8" drill,  I have the Eskimo Shark ten incher,  and that is OVERKILL and heavy.  You can get away with the eight fishing for  just about anything          J

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2005, 07:23 AM »
Bought the Mako M43 (1.75 horse) with 8" TurboCut blades this year.  It starts on the first or second pull, lightweright, smooth running,  and it cuts like a knife through butter, and the price was affordable.  Check out this web site they have the best deals I've found for equipment purchases online.  They are also dependable and ship right away.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.marinegeneral.com/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Eskimo_50.html

Offline lund94

• IceShanty Rookie
  • icediver
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2005, 12:41 PM »
Trout - I have an old Earthquake power head made by Eskimo that I use to drill post holes in the summer and fishing holes in the winter.  It starts on the third pull and no matter how slow it cuts compared to the more expensive augers it still smokes compared to cutting holes by hand.  I also have a damaged rotator cuff and am thankfull for the auger.
Just my two cents :)

bucket butt

« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2005, 06:40 PM »
I HAVE THE ESKIMO STINGRAY $199.00 AND I LOVE THIS THING I BOUGHT IT THIS YEAR BUT IVE DRILLED AT LEAST A COUPLE HUNDRED HOLES AND HAD NO PROBLEMS YET.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2005, 06:43 PM »
I have to admit my next auger will be an eskimo. They have come a long way.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Jbarker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2005, 06:52 PM »
A friend of mine just got the 3 hp barracuda with the quantum blades. Cuts very well and pretty quick.  I have no complaints with it except fo the no muffler part
To Fish Or Not To Fish...What A Stupid Question!

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2005, 07:38 PM »
I had a chance to see one in action this weekend,Cut 50 holes on 3/4 tank of fuel drill thru 8 inches of ice with ease.Starts great just a tad heavy.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:47 PM »
Picked up a Stingray (33cc) this year for $199.00 & am very pleased with its performance. Started on 2nd pull right out of box & after warming up on ice, usually starts on 1st pull at half choke or no choke. It has quantum blades but here in IL. it cuts 6-10 inches just fine. I probably cut a 100 holes or more on 1st tank of gas(8in.blades). Its the 1st power auger ive owned so dont have a comparison to others but for the money & conditions I fish, its great. The equipment section here on the shanty has an auger section where the best minds on ice discuss this wonderful tool. Good luck with any purchase you decide on!

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2005, 08:59 AM »
Glad to hear of your success with that auger. It is the one I am probably going to get. What is the gas--oil mix on it? Here in Pa we only get 5-10 inch ice and it isn't worth the $400 to put out for a higher end auger.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2005, 09:25 AM »
My fishing partner got a mako last year and it was a piece of junk. (Wait it gets better) It wouldn't start or run very well even when warm. Here's the good part. I called Eskimo and they were great. They sent me a new motor(the newest model) and I sent the old one back. The new one is awesome. I'd always heard that Eskimo's were good augers and was very disappointed when his was not running right. I was extremely happy with cust. service at Eskimo and will reccommend them to anyone  ;D.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2005, 09:59 AM »
Trout Sen-Sei,
JMO...But I don't know if I'd spend the money on a power auger if you have that little ice. An 8" Nil hand auger is very easy to cut with, much lighter then a power auger, and will save you some money. I just think that is a lot of extra weight to carry for that little ice. Good luck with what ever you get. Any power auger will work with 5-10" of ice.

Offline chrism

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2005, 10:31 AM »
TSS
I am using a new Shark 51.7 10" and absolutely love it. It is easy to start, cuts like a hot knife through butter, and so far has given me no grief. I had to deal with cust service (my fishing partner in his infinate wisdom and strength ripped the pullcord off) and as stated, they are absolutely awesome!
I can't say enough about them.
Anyhow, as for longetivity, only time will tell - but it sure runs nice...
The 10" is a bit overkill, but I am sometimes fishing for big Northerns and am not carrying the auger very far, so weight wasn't a huge issue.
chrism

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2005, 11:08 AM »
Eskimo has used the same 2 and 3 hp tecumseh engine as the other manufacturers(strike master and jiffy) except for the shark model which was an Italian made Emak engine. This year they introduced there own make of engines which seems to have made the prices of the augers come down. I was waiting to hear some of the reports of these new engines.I have had dealings with eskimo service in the past and they have been great. In years past I would hear people say that they had a jiffy,strike master or eskimo and it ran like a piece of junk or wouldn't start so they bought a jiffy,strike master or eskimo and it runs great. They all had the same engine so to me that means they should blame Tecumseh for the problems not jiffy,strike master or eskimo.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2005, 11:25 AM »
 I just wanted to say that I have the 8 inch and just started to pike fish this season, and my girlfriend had a 9lb 4oz fish on at the hole that she couldn't turn up into the hole. I looked down into that 8 inch hole and saw nothing but teeth. Thank's to some other fisherman that saw us struggling at the hole with it, he came running over and put his hand down the hole and pulled it out for us. I think if I had a 10 auger that we probably could have turned it up the hole.My next one will be a 10 inch for sure.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2005, 12:29 PM »
Mark buddy....Did you have it hooked sideways? ;) ;D  I've had 15+# pike through a 8" hole with 30' of ice without a problem. Good thing a man stopped by to help you ladies out.  ;D Was his name Mugz?  Sorry...Could not resist. ;D

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2005, 12:34 PM »
I have to admit my next auger will be an eskimo. They have come a long way.
well i dont know how far they have come but the 2 hp 8'' eskimo i have and use every week was made in 1987 and still cuts like a dream...new blades when it needs it...new plug even when it doesnt!!

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2005, 03:32 PM »
Glad to hear of your success with that auger. It is the one I am probably going to get. What is the gas--oil mix on it? Here in Pa we only get 5-10 inch ice and it isn't worth the $400 to put out for a higher end auger.
[/quote                                                                                                                         1st gal. of gas went with 25:1 (6oz. oil\1gal. gas) 2nd gal. been running 20\1 (5oz. oil\1 gal. gas) There is a mix ratio chart with other info in box with auger, I have run heavier oil mix in chain saws & 12 yr. old weed eater on 1st tank with good results, 1st tank runs a little smokey but ensures good lube right off the bat. Have probably drilled 250-300 holes & so far, no problems. If I do, its good to know they have great cust. service, as others on here have stated. GOOD LUCK & GOOD FISHING!

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2005, 04:12 PM »
OOOPS, luckily, I can fish better than I can run this dadburn modren cornveenyance!!!

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:19 PM »
I'm tell ya, you gotta drill two 8" holes together overlapping and you can bring any fish in any lake through it. We brought 5 salmon over 13 lbs through the holes this way.

Does anyone else do this.

If not you ought to try it.
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2005, 07:36 AM »
Thought about it but Wisconsin doesn't allow it.  The hole can't be any more than 12" across.

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:31 AM »
I ordered an Eskimo Stingray from Marine General. 

$211.99 delivered to my door drop shipped by Eskimo. 

It is only sold w/ Quantum Blades.  I asked if they could swap out 8" Quantum for Turbo blade assy.and was told the Stingray is only sold w/ quantum.

I'll report after 30 holes

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:37 AM »
How long did it take for delivery? 

I was thinking about ordering one as I am going to Shawano WI for a 2 day trip (19th & 20th) and they say they have 2ft of ice.  That is not going to be fun with my 8" hand auger.  It may be worth the $200 to order one soon. 

Thanks

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:41 AM »
Premature send......How long would it take to get through 2 ft of ice with the 1.2 horse Stingray?

Thanks again

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:50 AM »
I ordered it yesterday  1/9/05.

Then I called them, I thought they would be shiping. Apparently they call Eskimo and have them drop ship. Hoping to see Wed or Thus. I live on an island,so that's an additional day regardless.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.