Author Topic: What Reel Grease Do You Use?  (Read 10717 times)

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
What Reel Grease Do You Use?
« on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:51 AM »
Which reel grease do you guys recommend for your reels?

I received and used my new presidents over the weekend. As someone on here said, there is quite a bit of stiffness in the reel due to whatever grease Pflueger uses. Want to switch that out this week and get ready for the weekend.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: What Reel Grease Do You Use?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:04 PM »
I clean out the grease with WD-40 and Q-tips, which won't hurt anything, then use a few drops of siliconized gun oil on the main shaft, handle bearings, bail pivots, and main bearings...just a drop.
Do NOT clean the grease out with carb cleaner or anything such as that; damage to the fiber/plastics washers in the drag system will result. Quantum also makes Hot Sauce, and I've also used Berkeley Silicone Reel Lube in the past. I used to use Boeshield T-9, a PTFE spray lube developed by Boeing that is waterproof and cold-proof. I think you can still find it at some bicycle shops..but it's really spendy.
PS...that's what I did to all my Presidents.... ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:24 PM »
I clean out the grease with WD-40 and Q-tips, which won't hurt anything, then use a few drops of siliconized gun oil on the main shaft, handle bearings, bail pivots, and main bearings...just a drop.
Do NOT clean the grease out with carb cleaner or anything such as that; damage to the fiber/plastics washers in the drag system will result. Quantum also makes Hot Sauce, and I've also used Berkeley Silicone Reel Lube in the past. I used to use Boeshield T-9, a PTFE spray lube developed by Boeing that is waterproof and cold-proof. I think you can still find it at some bicycle shops..but it's really spendy.
PS...that's what I did to all my Presidents.... ;D

So do you only use oil on everything?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:41 PM »
So do you only use oil on everything?
[/quote

Yup. Since the Pres's go on my ultrlight summer rigs, too, I don't switch back and forth. Most people tend to overdo it when it comes to lube; a drop on any moving part is all you need. In fact, on my bail pivots, I usually just use a drop of silicone..or a drop of
WD-40. I find oil on the outside pivot points tends to collect dust/dirt if you use them for soft water fishing.  I also crack my reels open every year and go through each one.

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:06 PM »
Frabill Sub-zero

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:11 PM »
Also use WD-40 and Q-Tips to clean reels, and Quantum Hot Sauce. Makes the inexpensive Shakespears I use feel and work better, just a drop on bearings, main shaft, and drive gears.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:33 PM »
Also use WD-40 and Q-Tips to clean reels, and Quantum Hot Sauce. Makes the inexpensive Shakespears I use feel and work better, just a drop on bearings, main shaft, and drive gears.
Me too.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:36 PM »
Is the Hotsauce good in the cold?

Do you guys oil your drag washers with it?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:43 PM »
Yes,  Hot Sauce is good for cold weather use, DO NOT use on drag washers.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Thanks MBart.

What are the drag washers oiled with? They come oiled.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Don't use anything on drag washers....any oil on them is what causes erratic or "jerky" drag...which means you oiled them or oil has migrated to the washers /felt. Shimano, Penn, and Pflueger, to name a few, state when the drag becomes erratic or jerky, the washers and felts must be replaced, as oil has migrated to them. That's what I've followed in 20 plus years of reel repair...just my .02  ;D

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:23 PM »
Don't use anything on drag washers....any oil on them is what causes erratic or "jerky" drag...which means you oiled them or oil has migrated to the washers /felt. Shimano, Penn, and Pflueger, to name a few, state when the drag becomes erratic or jerky, the washers and felts must be replaced, as oil has migrated to them. That's what I've followed in 20 plus years of reel repair...just my .02  ;D

Huh, odd because the Pfluegers describe their drag system as "Smooth front drag system with stainless steel and oiled felt washers".

I dont oil them myself, I just figured the oil wasnt a cold temp oil that came on them.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:28 PM »
I know...and they COME with oil on them...I've never been able to figure it out, either!! My Shimano's I used for Walleye tourneys I'd send in to Shimano at their request, and they always did the work and shipped them back...for free. Others I just ordered drag kits. They must use a top secret lube or something... ;D ???

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:32 PM »
LOL

Yeah my Shimanos dont really like the cold either. I figured the Pfluegers would be better in the cold, or I could add some cold weather lube to them.

Oh well, Ill just keep them warm in the shack I guess.

Thanks for the reply Reb.

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:41 PM »
What about those teflon sprays?

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Another vote for frabill sub zero. I do clean out as much old grease as I can and use the frabill lube sparingly.

Paul

Offline stanmo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:22 PM »
The Sub-Zero works pretty well.
I have also used some blue grease that was great. Can't remember where I got it though. HT sells a "BlueLube" and their better quality reels are not stiff in the cold. If it is the same stuff, it works very nice.
Finally, for extreme temps, there is company called BadFish that sells some that is rated from -450 up to +1200 F. Pretty wild stuff! Just Google it. Dry powder, oil, and grease, available. Not cheap!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:30 AM »
A few years ago, I bought a small Abu Garcia spinning reel for icefishing.  I forgot the model, but it is a decent reel.  It froze up my first time out.  I have never had this problem with my Shimanos.  In fact, I have never taken my freshwater Shimanos apart, and have never had a freeze up.  Anyway, I took the Abu apart, cleaned it out and used Frabill Sub-Zero.  ( I don't use these reels in the summertime, so I don't have to re-lube them after the season.)  I have not had a problem since.  I will repeat what another poster said; Do not put anything on the drag!  Any oil or grease will reduce or eliminate the friction the drag needs.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Thats mainly the problem though, the drag washers bind up from expanding in the cold and have too much friction unless its loosened way up. The drag will hitch and buck because it doesnt spin free enough in colder temps.

The lube on the gears inside isnt that bad if you cup the reel in your hand to warm it up a bit.

Offline AT3NCION

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:40 AM »
I recently purchased an Okuma Ignite IT-10 as I was in need a small/cheap real and it had gotten some pretty good reviews. Anyways, when it arrived and I goofed around with it everything functioned fine. I took it out onto the ice twice before replacing any grease and the thing didn't seize up... but the anti-reverse stopped working on it. Or it would at times work in only one spot as the handle made a revolution.
I took it home and took it apart and the area where the anti-reverse engages (not sure of the part's names as I'm at work and have no diagram in front of me) was lathered in lube. I cleaned it all off and then cleaned out the grease on the gears and replaced all that too with Sub-Zero. The thing works amazing now. Almost like a reel worth 5 times the amount.
Not sure if this was all due to the cold or simply there being too much lubricant in the area where the anti-reverse engages. However, I have other reals with a different anti-reverse system and cold weather and have never had a similar issue happen.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:45 PM »
Thats mainly the problem though, the drag washers bind up from expanding in the cold and have too much friction unless its loosened way up. The drag will hitch and buck because it doesnt spin free enough in colder temps.

The lube on the gears inside isnt that bad if you cup the reel in your hand to warm it up a bit.

Do you happen to know of a good how to vid on youtube on how to do this. I looked through some, but most either were non informative or were what seemed to be a 12 yro kid just showing off it gear.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Do you happen to know of a good how to vid on youtube on how to do this. I looked through some, but most either were non informative or were what seemed to be a 12 yro kid just showing off it gear.

Do what, lube the reel?  Dunno about videos, I just take the reel apart and clean it up and re-lube.

But..... Ive never used cold weather lube, Ive only done this to my summer reels. Id like to do a couple of my ice reels with good lube though.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2012, 05:33 PM »
I use white lithium on top of the spool between the drag knob and the spool.  Then any reel oil for the internal parts.  This should take care of all you lube issues with out causing damage.  What ever you do, do not use anything with a petroleum base.  If you have any plastic parts, the petroleum will melt the parts due to the friction created with normal reeling.  NO VASOLINE!!!!

Offline Duckiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. T
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2012, 05:35 PM »
3 in 1 always has worked for me
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.  Teach a man to sell fish and he eats steak.”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.