New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Seneca Lake Perch Fishing  (Read 5288 times)

Offline Joshj11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hows the Ice?
Seneca Lake Perch Fishing
« on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:43 AM »
I've been looking on this site for a few weeks on fishing reports for Seneca Lake. Needless to say it doesnt seem to have much info so i'll go this route.

I was planning on taking the boat out for some perch fishing next weekend and was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction.

Ill be  on the West Side of the lake..  NORTH of Dresdon.. I figure the best way will be to locate  the Perch is in 30-40 FOW....What is a good rig to use for the perch this time of year? Drop shot with a minnow, jigging Rapala, Small jig and worm???

Any info would be greatly appreciated! ALSO I WOULDNT MIND GETTING INTO THE TROUT WHILE IM THERE!

Offline beechcomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Seneca Lake Perch Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:35 AM »
Josh, check out myfishfinder.com as far as Seneca check from 20 fow out to 60fow. fish a dropshot rig with 2 hooks. I run minnows,spikes and waxworms. If you drive around a bit I am sure its pretty easy to find a school. they like to  hide under about 10-15 boats that are anchored close together with the occupants yelling at eachother something about you have a whole lake to fish. ha ha got to love Seneca.

Offline Joshj11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hows the Ice?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:02 AM »
I've heard that people on Seneca aren't the most pleasant. O well hopefully there will be a small amount of people out because of the cold weather. Anyways thanks for the info.

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:31 AM »
The last time i was there or on kuka i used a simple bull head rig about 4' off the bottom for the first snell. We were from 15-35/40 fow. Minnows minnows and more minnows. You will limit once ur on em and dont keep any under 10"
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:37 AM »
I've heard that people on Seneca aren't the most pleasant. O well hopefully there will be a small amount of people out because of the cold weather. Anyways thanks for the info.

Not sure where u got this info. But if yall tried me in a boat i wouldnt say nothing. I would pick up start the boat and buzz the whole area. That lake is huge DO NOT GET ON TOP OF PEOPLE IN A BOAT. If your closer then 70+ yrds u r too close. People are very nice if you are respectful. But this time of year even more so about not crowding people cuz they are all prob locals from a few minutes away

Offline Joshj11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hows the Ice?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:43 AM »
I guess that is a valid point, on any lake if your disrepectful your going to hear about it. Usually on irondequoit bay your forced to fish on top of another boat since its so small.

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:51 AM »
In a bay i would go where the fish were but in a full lake there is just so many places. My thoughts

Offline panfisherman2328

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:21 PM »
how is it out on seneca i heard they were bighting by sampson

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:25 PM »
They're ALWAYS biting by Sampson! ::)
This is about the time of year the fish decide to start balling up and moving shallow.  They do this all over the lake, not just by the park. Anyone who has ever fished Seneca has had banner days and complete busts.  No internet forum is going to change that.  Go on out and take your best shot.  There are lots of perch in that thing.  Find them in the right mood, they'll hit just about anything.
Good Luck.
Grady
BTW Seneca Lake fishermen do not talk much.  Take that as a fact.  Always has been, always will be. You won't get much by asking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.