Author Topic: Do you go out alone?  (Read 18766 times)

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Do you go out alone?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 22, 2013, 08:44 AM »
95% by my self
in 2011 I almost Died along the side of a road due to a slip and fall on ice [body core temp 86 degrees]
so to me it does not mater were your at
wen its your time, well..live life to the fullest
use all the proper gear and don't be stupid going on thin early ice... let some one know your time frame and were your at

SnoHam13

Offline saltyfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Nov 27, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Almost always alone.  I like to stay mobile and drill holes.. no shelter (even on the worst days).. I have a perticular way I like to do things and am not good at setting up camp and waiting.  Always run and gun.  If I found another fisherman that works the same way I would fish with them, but most guys I know like to setup camp.  Nothing wrong with that at all, just not for me..

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Nov 27, 2013, 08:33 AM »
i go alone maybe 50/50.  I finally got a Striker floaty suit - i don't pucker quite as bad now.  I carry picks with me and have a rescue throw bag in the gear sled.

there's nothing like sitting out there alone in the early morning quiet, snow falling, sun coming up, peaceful... - SCRATCH THAT,  FLAG!!!  :tipup:

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Nov 30, 2013, 09:53 AM »
I go alone most of the time.  I usually have the area scouted out pretty well.  One thing I do is pack along a 50 foot rope with a dog dummy tied on the end.  Not so much for me but for the dump asses I see out there on early ice.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #64 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:28 AM »
I to am solo...One thing I do is take a length of rope and a few pole barn spikes..Drive one in at an angle
and hook your rope to it ,just in case you need it...Take the length of rope out with you....it might save you...But like others have said..I like at least 5 inch's or more...And I usually fish the shallow ponds or swamps as well.......
 ???
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #65 on: Dec 29, 2013, 04:39 PM »
never , :nono: unless more than 6 inches of good ice
How are the edges ?

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:36 PM »
never , :nono: unless more than 6 inches of good ice

Same here.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 30, 2013, 02:12 AM »
i usually try to take a buddy, but sometimes a solo trip is something i just have to do.

i always take rope, ice picks, a PFD, and i tell at least five people where i'm going and how long i plan to be there. you don't have to tell five people, but due to a previous incident where both of the two people i told completely forgot that i had gone fishing; i like the extra insurance.

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #68 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:58 PM »
I fish alone around home most of the time, 1; cause I hate people, 2; no one likes to be out on a lake at 11:00 at night on 3 inches of ice.
 I wear a float suit, have picks and usually have a 300 foot climbing rope anchored to shore, a few points in the ice and finally to me. Allways spud my way to anywhere I'm going. A spud WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE !
Jim K.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Most of the time I'm alone.  Like nightfisher, I hate people.  I am very comfortable on my "home" water that I grew up on.  It gets very little pressure so I have about 200 acres to my self.  If I'm on one end and someone treks down to the other end it bugs me.  It's spring fed so when other lakes nearby have two feet of ice this one has maybe a foot in good spots and down to 3 or 4 in other spots.  About 20 years ago we had a cold snap of -15 and below temps for almost a month and there were spots that lost ice from one day to the next.  It has a reputation for having sketchy ice and locally the sentiment is to stay off of it until myself or one of my brothers is out there.  For this reason I seldom drive on it because once someone sees tire tracks on a lake they think they can go anywhere...and people are lazy.  No tire tracks, they go somewhere that they can drive on the ice.  It's a win/win...  I get my exercise and they leave me the hell alone...hehehehe. 

I always take a spud but nothing else that is extraordinary in terms of safety once the ice gets good.  When I first check it I will wear a life jacket and tie about 300 feet of rope around my waist which is tied to the back of my truck.  Since the 1940's my family (grandpa, dad, brothers, myself) have kept written records of when it freezes up, what areas stay open later, amount of snow, mid-winter thaws, ice-out, what areas open up first, etc.  With 70 years of data it's become easier to predict what spots are going to give you issues throughout the season. 

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Ice fishing is one thing I am very hesitant to do alone. I won't say I never will, but for right now I always have someone else go with.

Offline fishman671

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:36 PM »
I go alone but know the lakes well and where the ice is the best

Offline ctice84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:14 PM »
Go alone most of the time and tell a few people where I am gonna be.i like going alone.

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:15 PM »
I go alone quite a bit. Always take my spud bar w me on early ice and on lakes I don't fish that often.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:20 PM »
At times I fish totally alone but most times there's other people in the area on the lake.

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #75 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:23 PM »
I like to go out with a few people, watch some flags, cook out and have a few pops but if I am going out to strictly jig for a day I usually go out alone so I can stay mobile and move when I think it's time to move. And also if I get skunked I won't have anyone mad at me ha
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline PondPirate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:39 PM »
I have fished both with others and alone. Alone is way better. I have a float suit and hand picks at all times. Love the early, mid and late ice and like to go whenever I can, not when somebody else can. I do enjoy company from time to time but only if I trust them to be on time and prepared to hit it hard.
Sitting still and drinking beer. I like ice fishing.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 27, 2016, 10:17 AM »
it's been a while since i last saw this thread, so i'm gonna update.

i don't fish alone as much any more, cuz i finally picked up a fishing buddy who will go out with me more often, and my father now fishes with me more often because i keep all the gear we'll need in my car, so it becomes less of a hassle for him to get packed and ready.

unfortunately my fishing buddy is heading out for basic training the end of this month, so i see a lot more solo trips in the future.
i still carry picks and rope, but i stopped bringing the PFD because it took up so much space. at the beginning of every season i watch a few self-rescue videos so i can have the knowledge of what to do fresh in my mind if i do go through.

last year the ice was awful, and i actually had a day where the ice went from being 4 inches thick to being 2 inches thick in the span of a few hours. we got off safely, but i can say for sure that if we had stayed out any longer, someone would have gone through. that made me really jittery this season and it took a while for me to get my ice legs back. i'm still nervous about fishing anything with less than 5 inches of ice, and i'm checking the thickness constantly.

Offline MFDIRT13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:29 PM »
Alone most of the time! I have been a little more social and meeting up with others to fish. I took a saltwater fishing buddy out on the ice for his first experience. He is loving it! He came back for a second day, he got 1 togue each time out! Guess I won't be fishing alone as much.
On the hunt for TROUT!!!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:35 PM »
You need to bring a spud anytime you are worried about ice thickness. Punch your way out and stop if you punch through.  Also get those spiked safety hand pics you wear around your neck that you can stab into the ice so as to pull yourself out of the hole.  Also attach a long say 50 foot or longer cord type rope to your gear sled and then if you go in someone nearby can usually get to your sled and pull you out if you have remembered to  looped the rope over one arm.  Then wear a life jacket. 
Marginal ice is typically found where springs , runoff or stream currents enter the lake.  Shorelines, emergent vegetation, rocks and docks can all reflect sunlight and weaken the ice.  If you watch the ice form on the lakes you want to fish you will see the warmest water freeze last and thaw first. 

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #80 on: Jan 28, 2016, 02:44 PM »
i do go alone although people who know me know im not alone  :angel you first cant count on a stranger helping you, you need to be prepared to get your self out. i thought about a accident heart attack etc. well guys die the woods all the time,its part of living the most important thing is your salvation... just sayin
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:06 PM »
ice around here is hit and miss a lot of the time.  unless there is 6 inches of good ice and has not been up and down with the temp then it is always with somebody.  some years we get to fish some years we don't.  there are a lot of years if you are not comfortable on 3 to 4 inches of ice then you don't get to fish.  experience is crucial down this far south.  you have to know your ponds the ones that are spring fed and ones that are not.

Offline WhiteMTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:20 PM »
I go alone all the time unless I take the kids.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #83 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:42 PM »
I go alone about half the time because of my work schedule. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #84 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Yep. watch yer step and mind your self-rescue skills.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Oct 30, 2016, 04:32 PM »
I go out for miles on lake Erie, alone, even at night..

I like to think I'm prepared, and have my radio and faith..

I seem to catch more fish, and have actually met some great folks that have become fishing pals of mine..

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.