Author Topic: Do you go out alone?  (Read 18778 times)

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Do you go out alone?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 13, 2012, 08:22 PM »
For years I did. Now my sons are grown and come with me. If I did not bring them with they would think some things wrong.
I took them with when ice conditions where good when they where small. I*ce is never 100% safe they where taught that then and witnessed mishaps too. Last winter we lost a friend, he went though near a pressure ridge. He was alone and after dark. Took weeks to find him. Seems in MN that happens very season even when we go with buddy's. Take care.

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #31 on: Oct 13, 2012, 09:15 PM »
I am almost never alone, I have a list of people who enjoy going out but Im the only one with the gear.  Doing what I can to change that.  Night ice fishing i am usually solo.

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 13, 2012, 09:22 PM »
I go out alone about 25% of the time.  But that is on lakes I have already been on.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 13, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Im solo probably 95% of the time but that's bc I don't have friends!  :'(
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #34 on: Oct 13, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Im solo probably 95% of the time but that's bc I don't have friends!  :'(

This is the year buddy, we will actually meet up.  This will be nice me not having to supply and setup everything.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #35 on: Oct 13, 2012, 10:33 PM »
Fish alone quite often, but always try to make good decisions, and not take stupid chances.  If I am alone at early ice, I will only fish water where others are fishing.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 13, 2012, 11:25 PM »
This is the year buddy, we will actually meet up.  This will be nice me not having to supply and setup everything.
Ik im excited! We can call inHISgrip too! I've got a few ppl on the call list this year!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline jvanness

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Oct 13, 2012, 11:55 PM »
I'm 25, been ice fishing for 15 years, and to this day never go alone. Not because of the risks of falling through(though they're constantly in my head) but more so if I fall and break something or fall and hit my head and get unconscious. Other reason is, after long day on ice, coming off, getting into a car with heat blasting, very easy to get comfortable and fall asleep at the wheel(most of my ice fishing is half hour to two hours away) having a second person in the car helps staying awake and if I do get tired then we switch. Plus I do majority of fishing with my dad Who is 62 and we Just make sure be both come home the way we left except with a bigger smile on our face, little wind/sun burn and in Need of a bed or nap desperately.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Never go alone... fishing alone would be way too boring. Who am I supposed to outfish?  ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Three out of four times I go alone since I fish a lot during the day during the week since I work the midnight shift.  One the weekends I go with someone.  I always take the same things when ever I go out.

Offline crankshaft013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Oct 26, 2012, 01:11 PM »
As many others have mentioned, I go out solo majority of the time..  Early season, I'm on foot and I stick to slower moving rivers.. I wont get on anything with a fast current until theres a good 6". Always wear the float suit and ice picks..  (They've been proven to be useful once already..) 

Not so much when I'm close to home, but a couple times a year I'll go to Lake Simcoe (about 5 hours from where I live..)  and its usually just my dog with me for 3 or 4 days.. For the trips like this I bought a SPOT GPS beacon.  Some guys might laugh and say its overkill..  but its waterproof, good in cold temps, and it could save your life.

I always let someone know the general area I'm going to be, and an appx. time I'll be heading in. If the bite is on fire and I'm staying later, I've got my cell and I'll make a call.

As far as gear goes, all my fishing stuff obviously, extra propane for the heater. but I always keep a small floating dry bag tucked away in my sled. In there I keep;

Spare batteries for the flashlight (waterproof and tethered to the dry bag.)
Survival Blanket (tin foil thing..)
Small First Aid Kit.
Granola Bars.
Spare Socks (wet feet suck)
Compass

When in doubt, Spud your way out!

Offline CrappieNutJustin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Oct 27, 2012, 10:49 PM »
70 percent alone, 30 percent with my step dad. I wait until there is 4-6 inches before i go out, and i always walk even later in the winter. Last season was the first time in my 18 years of ice fishing that i have ever gone through, stepped on a pressure crack that looked fine but wasnt, was right next to my step dad though, plus knowing the ice was sketchy to begin with we stayed close to shore and it was only waist deep, good plan considering another 50 yards out it drops off to 60-100 feet. Could have been a whole different story out there, was a little gunshy the next two week but really it was my fault for stepping on it. I dont go far from shore if i dont trust the ice even before that incident.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 28, 2012, 06:56 PM »
On Saginaw Bay, never.  On Lake St. Clair, most of the time.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Oct 30, 2012, 11:49 AM »
If I can't find anybody to go, I go alone.  Have my ice picks and a 6' spud.  GOTTA have the spudbar to determine thickness.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline The Dad Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Oct 30, 2012, 03:00 PM »
about 50/50 Alone or with someone. I always have my Ice Picks around my neck and I hug the shore-line til I get to an area i want to fish. Then I leave the gear and Spud around to check things out. Drill a couple of Holes too so I can see the ice thickness.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #45 on: Oct 30, 2012, 04:00 PM »
Most of the time I am alone and I am comfortable with 4 inches of ice. I wear a inflatable life vest (fanny pack style, to make finding my body easier) and I have been thru the ice a few times and I get my own butt out... It is all about what you are comfortable with and how you react when you go thru...

P.S.
It bugs me to no end when people start telling me that, "that is not safe" (what ever I am doing). I am a big boy and I can and will take responsibility for my own actions. If you don't want to go out on thin ice or off shore in a small boat then, please don't, but don't tell me that I can't!

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #46 on: Oct 30, 2012, 04:03 PM »
90% of the time i go out alone. I fish shallow farm ponds most the time.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #47 on: Oct 30, 2012, 04:09 PM »
90% of the time. If early ice only on waters I know very well and stay in shallow water.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:58 AM »
I am alone most of the time,the lake i fish has 3 ice fishing forums and checking them often keeps you up to date on conditions of the lake,allways wear the right gear early in the season ;).

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2013, 03:35 PM »
I used to go with a couple of people all the time. Then I got tired of them always being late, always having to leave early, always wanting to stop at the bar, the list goes on and on. For the last 25 years ( other than the wife) I have fished alone 100% of the time. Early ice I always have safety equipment with. When ever I am walking or with the ATV I have a PFD on. I like to think I am always in control of my decisions. If something doesn't look right I will wait until the wife is along in case the need for help arises. Solo isn't for everyone. I know plenty of guys that will stay home if 5-6 of their Buddy's can't come along. I just am not one of them.

WS

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:23 PM »
I have gone out alone but prefer to go with other people. I find it a lot more fun to go with a group rather then by myself.

Offline ctice84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2013, 01:03 PM »
I go out 95% of the time by myself. Mostly because i am off weekdays and no one i know fishes let alone ice fishing. I enjoy going solo most of the time. Gives me time to clear my mind and i love the peace and quiet. Every once in awhile i wish i was with someone but other then that i enjoy it solo.

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2013, 02:03 PM »
About 50/50  . If I do go alone I tell someone where I'm going and  when i'll be back , if going to be longer I call.
hook and cook

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:14 PM »
I often fish in a group simply because we all are on the fish. If I find them then I share. My other friends are the same way. Often I am alone especially when scouting for some new fish. I drive my wheeler when the ice is good and always wear my Arctic Armour, picks and carry a cell phone. I keep a spud bar on the wheeler or on the sled when I am walking.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Swampstud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #54 on: Nov 22, 2013, 05:26 AM »
I fish bymyself probly 90% of the time, I wont go out until I see others around standing close. Thats my sihnal I guess. I have this app on my phone called cabelas recon fishing, I use this also to determine where channels, paths of current,  any other things I can spot. This is great for new never fished lakes. otherwise I really dont worry about it until the ice warms and dark spots appear after the snow melts
Keep those hooks sharp, or watch em swim away!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #55 on: Nov 22, 2013, 05:59 AM »
Very often alone.  Usually meet up with someone on the ice though.  I have one bud that we do this often.  Call each other with our plans for the day and often meet up.  We both use ATVs most of the time.  Early ice, I'm fishing in 6 to 8 FOW.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:21 AM »

I fish quite often alone most of my guys I fish with are still working as I'm retired

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #57 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:44 AM »
rarely will i allow myself to be tied down by another. a spud is mandatory till i got 6 inches of ice. i aim to start out on 3 inches but it seems im on 2 just about every year. i am a little crazy though, i get dropped off by a cab about 15 miles from the closest town. if i go in im done! but hey thats part of the fun!!!

really tho just have a spud and fish early ice in spots you know till you got 5-6 inches then get moving around.

ohhhh yeah i only walk where i fish so i bring all i need in my sled. if it will not be too heave and fits in the cab then it goes. you never know what you will need to bring until you dont have it. thats how you learn what to have...

good luck, feel safe, if you dont move in!!! its that simple.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:59 AM »
usually try to buddy up. this year, tho, my buddy moved up north, so this season, fishing alone. have fished with a couple of other guys toward the end of last season, hope to hook up with them again this year.   spikes, rope with a boat bumper attatched and knotted at the other end. spud bar. this year, also have arctic armor bibs. have also gone out with inflatable life vest

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Nov 22, 2013, 07:14 AM »
I am another loner for the most part, although I have been informed by my daughter that she no longer works weekends! Sounds like I have a steady partner on the ice for this year. Out of 5 kids, she is my truest fisherman, and already thinking about the ice this coming season. I can't wait!
 +1 to the mind set of leaving the beer at home. I don't risk drinking and driving ever, it's just not worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.