Author Topic: Nanook Center Console Mod  (Read 46134 times)

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Nanook Center Console Mod
« Reply #90 on: Oct 08, 2012, 01:45 PM »
I know it's been a while since I started this project and now it's October. But with camping season, fishing, being with the family and changing jobs, it's been a busy summer! I picked up fiberglass today and got to work. Didn't pick up a big enough mat, should have gotten 10 sq ft instead of 8 because I ran out with two sections to go. I'll get some pics uploaded when it's all covered. Just waiting for what I have done to set up and dry.

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Oct 08, 2012, 04:35 PM »
First off, I should have used a fiberglass cloth instead of a mat.
This is the side that will face me and has the cut outs for the speakers.

Here are the holes for the cupholder, the stereo receiver, and the light switches.

I will have a clear plexi lid over the opening to get to my gear inside. The plexi and the carpet is about all I left to get. Hopefully I'll have it all ready before first ice.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #92 on: Oct 11, 2012, 04:36 PM »
This came out awesome, nicely done..

Im curious of you could make a fiberglass version of the sled. It should be much lighter and just as strong if not stronger.
Theres a reason they build race cars and sports cars out of the stuff. =)
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Oct 12, 2012, 03:46 PM »
I have never done any fiberglass work but have some buddies that I know have. How strong is this on the cardboard when done? I have been thinking about a way to do a dry livewell in my shack and came to this. How well would this work for that? Can it be sanded smooth and painted as well.

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Oct 13, 2012, 05:32 PM »
People sand them down and paint them all the time. Just check out pictures of sub woofer enclosures and custom car interiors. Nothing on the box sags. Like the other guys said who started this thread, it's very strong. As for making an entire sled, I'm not sure! I'd imagine you'd have to have it pretty thick to support all the hardware for the poles. This should hold up nicely. Here's the rough layout of it, minus carpet, and I forgot to put the antenna for the radio on it. After I took these pics, I sanded it down so it's roughed up and ready for glue and carpet.

The switches will run two sets of lights, the one on the side in the pic, and the overhead ones I have yet to get.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #95 on: Oct 18, 2012, 08:30 PM »
I'm curious to why you guys didnt paint it after it dries? I'm doing one right now and I'm going to paint it for sure. I bet if I paint it black it will blend right in with the sled.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #96 on: Oct 18, 2012, 08:36 PM »
I will stay as far away from that nanook as I can :P I like my peace and quiet.

MTA

Offline ice pig 121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Oct 19, 2012, 07:05 AM »
looks great, you guys really did do great jobs and got the ol gears a turning!
Tight lines and happy hunting to all! Go Vikings!!

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #98 on: Oct 20, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Looks good but I'm glad I'm not fishing in WI this year.

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Oct 21, 2012, 07:25 PM »
I could have painted it, and it crossed my mind. But then I would have had to add body filler and work on the imperfections. No one sees them under the carpet. It's nice to be able to listen to Packers play while on the ice and to have a few tunes. And if more than just me can hear it, it's to loud.

As far as the progress, the carpet is on, and pretty much everything is in place. Still don't have the plexi for the lid yet, maybe tomorrow. I'll take some pics and upload them tomorrow. Still don't have my overhead lights yet.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #100 on: Oct 21, 2012, 11:08 PM »
Cool.

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Oct 22, 2012, 03:58 PM »
So here it is. Don't have the plexi door on yet, or the inside carpeted, but you get the idea.

These are pics of the auger mount. I decided to go with the Mad Dog system by Stearns. Can't wait to get it on. Here's just the mount.

The auger head support bar.

And the auger support.

I made it collapsible so that way I can still open and close the shanty.

Offline stingerhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Oct 22, 2012, 05:58 PM »
So here it is. Don't have the plexi door on yet, or the inside carpeted, but you get the idea.
(Image removed from quote.)

These are pics of the auger mount. I decided to go with the Mad Dog system by Stearns. Can't wait to get it on. Here's just the mount.
The auger head support bar.
And the auger support.
I made it collapsible so that way I can still open and close the shanty.

that's looks awesome great build!! What holds the auger in place when moving, I couldn't tell by the pics, once again good work

Lar

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Oct 23, 2012, 12:25 PM »
I'm going to purchase the Mad Dog Auger mount by Stearns, just haven't done that yet.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Oct 23, 2012, 01:46 PM »
looks great

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Dec 08, 2012, 09:40 AM »
hey i have one question did you fiber glass the inside to....i was thinking of resin the whole thing like twice then fiber glass it??? also would you happen to have the measurements of it i want to make one for my old Yukon i have the one with the bar across the back that the seats sit on

Sorry I haven't been on here in quite a while.

Yes I did fiberglass the inside as we'll. It helped to sturdy up all the seperate compartments.  I have it in storage still so I don't have the measurements but as soon as I get it out I can let you know.

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Dec 08, 2012, 09:53 AM »
Great job on the console TChix! 

Just wait until you hit the ice with that thing. Your gunna have everyone asking where did you get that!!!

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #107 on: Dec 08, 2012, 10:53 AM »
how did you guys fasten the carpet??? also, did you fiberglass the whole outside and inside all at once, or did you do it in sections (leftside, rightside etc)  they look awesome, great job on them guys

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Dec 08, 2012, 11:48 AM »
how did you guys fasten the carpet??? also, did you fiberglass the whole outside and inside all at once, or did you do it in sections (leftside, rightside etc)  they look awesome, great job on them guys

I used carpet adhesive. Comes in a spray can. 

I started with the outside first but it wouldn't really matter.  The inside gets very messy because of the tight quarters.  When you go after the inside make sure you have your arms completely covered by something because getting fiberglass resin on your arm hair SUCKS!

Offline jase_law

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:17 PM »
I just purchased the Nanook and am have some LED strips that I want to put in.  What did you use as a power source for yours?  Apologies if I missed it in the thread
Veteran getting back into the swing of things

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:34 PM »
sorry if this was asked.

but how much has this cost so far? excluding the electronics.

best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline Jumbo_hunter_1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:36 PM »
Looking good so far

what were the final  demotions of this project i want to make one for my clam Yukon

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Dec 11, 2012, 03:22 PM »
sorry if this was asked.

but how much has this cost so far? excluding the electronics.

I probably have around $40 in my console. I had to purchase the carpet, fiberglass and resin, and the switches. Everything else I had already.

Lol, carpet adhesive, didn't think of that. I used Liquid Nail Adhesive. Worked great when I made the floor in my Frabill XLTwin floor so I used it again. Worked just as well again.

Here are the updated photos of my project.

Auger mount extended.

Folded in.

With auger.

I can't wait to get it on the ice! My buddy already want to a console for hit Otter now after seeing mine. Thinking about ordering my overhead lights today if I can get it past my wife.

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:03 PM »
TChix,

Is that your little red ice fishing jeep?  ;)

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:04 PM »
I just purchased the Nanook and am have some LED strips that I want to put in.  What did you use as a power source for yours?  Apologies if I missed it in the thread

Vexilar batteries work great

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:59 PM »
  What did you use to hold the handles , it looks like  velcro, but what is it attached to ?

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Dec 12, 2012, 06:11 AM »
TChix,

Is that your little red ice fishing jeep?  ;)

You should see me whipping crapties in that thing on the ice!

What did you use to hold the handles , it looks like  velcro, but what is it attached to ?

The mounts are by Mad Dog. They are made for atv's but are perfect on the square tubing. The handles are held down by Velcro, yes.

Offline Benjammin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Dec 27, 2012, 11:28 PM »
SICK Ice Shanty setup you got there! I just recently bought the Nanook and was going over some Mods on the drawing board and have big plans for mine. Just took it out last night to try and think of the Main things I wanted to change and modify for the best experience possible. What are the dimensions for that console?! I was going to construct a very similar console but have yet to decide how far apart I want my seats. I would like to upgrade the seats eventually but am focusing on a few tasks at a time. Yours is by far one of the cleanest I have seen on the net, and the fiberglass weight is key beeing I usually cross country ski mine across a lake untill I find a honey hole. So if there was any way possible to get those rough dimensions asap that would be awesome! I am going to play with some cardboard in mine tonight and see if I cant figure something out for a proto type. I will definitely post pictures about the build once Its in motion

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Don't be scared to go right after it man its only cardboard!  Its a piece of cake to cut down if you make it too big.

I can't give you the dimensions yet because it is still in storage.  Also, I don't know if I explained this earlier on but I moved my seats farther apart so the dimensions for mine wouldn't work for yours unless you repositioned yours as well. 

Offline Benjammin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Dec 28, 2012, 10:13 PM »
When you moved the chairs farther apart, did you re-mount them back to the sled so they can still flip up or just let them stand alone. I have been debating If I want to keep mine mounted or not for the freedom to be move them whenever I want, or keep them mounted to the sled so they remain stable and wont get "tippy". I am going to start the mock up cardboard tonight with a case and see how far I get. And also throw around ideas for where I want to mount all of my electronics.  Glad to see your response was fairly quick after my post, I appreciate all the help in this I can get so thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.