New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Ice???  (Read 3821 times)

Offline binkerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Northern NY Ice???
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Any reports for ice? I have heard there is fishing going on at Eagle mid - last week around causeway. I have heard Brant is also being fished.....anyone confirm this??
Sacandaga and Caroga were being fished last week with some Splake and Rainbows coming out of Caroga.
Wondering if Moreau, Trout or Thompsons are frozen.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Northern NY Ice???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:58 PM »
West caroga has thin ice with some open water still! I would not reccomend it.

Also if you post 4 more times you'll be able to access the Reports and conditions board and see what the conditions are on all the NY lakes.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline sofreddyco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:07 PM »
Post five time to access that board that apply to al members?

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:23 PM »
I have lived in Northern NY my whole life and never heard of these places you are talking about.

Offline pikepauly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:36 PM »
heres how you find out, get out there an find out for yourself

Offline Mayhem2279

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:19 PM »
Who never herd of the Great Sacandaga?

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Who never herd of the Great Sacandaga?

What state is this GREAT SACANDAGA ?  Certainly not in Northern NY, is it ???

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:08 AM »
The great sacandaga is somewhere in nny. Or touches it at least. Also touches canada.
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline Grizzy23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:13 AM »
The Great Sacandaga is not 'Northern' NY.  It is on the Southern edge of the Adirondack's, North of Amsterdam, NY.  I would call it a capital region lake, being that it is about the same distance from Albany as Lake George is.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:16 AM »

I went to college in Canton .....  and always said NNY was it's own state  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:31 AM »
Moreau, no go.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:37 AM »
The Great Sacandaga is not 'Northern' NY.  It is on the Southern edge of the Adirondack's, North of Amsterdam, NY.  I would call it a capital region lake, being that it is about the same distance from Albany as Lake George is.

OK now I understand why I didn't know of it.  Thanks for the clarification.. ;D

JJ

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:48 AM »

Apparently so. Sacandaga is only home to the North American and former World Record Northern Pike; hardly known outside of the "Capital Region" though.  ;D

It's definitely not in Southern NY. The area around Great Sacandaga is in the Northern Zone when it comes to hunting. ;)

JJ

« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:59 AM »
Wikipedia says ;D:

The Great Sacandaga Lake (formerly the Sacandaga Reservoir) is a large lake situated in the Adirondack Park in northern New York in the United States. The word Sacandaga means "Land of the Waving Grass" in the local native language. The lake is located in the northern parts of Fulton County and Saratoga County near the south border of the Adirondack Park. A small part of it also extends northward into southern Hamilton County. The broader, south end of the lake is northeast of the City of Johnstown and the City of Gloversville.

Like many of the other lakes in the Adirondack region of northern New York, Great Sacandaga Lake is a reservoir. The original lake was greatly enlarged by a dam on the Sacandaga River at the northeast end of the lake. The primary purpose for the creation of the reservoir was to control flooding on the Hudson River and the Sacandaga River.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2012, 12:05 PM »

Oh boy,  here we go again on the NNY thing.   @)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:19 PM »
heres how you find out, get out there an find out for yourself
That's how I find out.  And you're definitely a New Yorker.  Want me to hold him while you slap him around a bit? 

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:29 PM »

Ik man I don't get how these places are northern ny??

Offline Grizzy23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:51 PM »
It's north of the city so that means it's northern NY I guess...

Offline Flagington

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:58 AM »
need ice

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:31 AM »
Those places are all southern adks, Depending on where guys live they consider anything north of thethruway to be northern NY but Ice Dog and NorthernnyIce and guys like myself having grown up in the true northern Ny know that those areas are 4-5hrs wouth of northern NY.  i think unless you are north of Old Forge area you should consider it "Northern but in reality you need to be north of Tupper where the men are men so aren't the women and the sheep run scared to consider it north country ;D
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline Bambino0657

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:47 AM »
How about Black?  That's got to be northern NY.

Offline floatsgone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:55 AM »
I live in central NY and dont consider anything northern NY  until you get north of the tug hill.  Yes black lake is derfinately northern NY.

Offline homebrew1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:17 PM »
some

Offline timditterline

• IceShanty Rookie
  • This ice is ruining my propellor...
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:22 PM »
I heard that they changed the name to "the slightly above-average Sacandaga" last week.   ;D
Be safe and bring beer.

Offline Damonspeeds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:34 PM »
When you say north I think Saranac, Chateguay, and the great Chazy lake. Get north the ice is safe and fun

Offline GDominy12

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAG!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:40 PM »
where the men are men so aren't the women and the sheep run scared to consider it north country ;D

Haha  ;D

Offline binkerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2012, 02:21 PM »
Wow....its a tough crowd out there.
Not familiar with navigating this site yet.....so I will try to keep posting and see what happens?? Not sure what board I do or do not have access to because I have not posted 5 times??
As there are no safe areas within the Capital District, I was wondering about Northern NY.....I had friends that fished Caroga and Sacandaga Lake.....NOT The "Great Sacandaga"....and caught a few fish last weekend...but even these are not fully locked yet.
I usually go to Lake Colby  to start the season ( would those of you questioning my geography  have a problem calling that northern NY???)  As Lakes such as Colby, Saranac, Harris, Indian and Tupper are a 2 1/2 to 3 hour ride....I defer to just driving up on a whim if I can get some info first.
The more "local" lakes......within a 1 to 2 hour ride....Like Trout Lake, Brant Lake, Schroon Lake, Eagle Lake and Moreau are more geared for the early season trout I am looking to fish. I usually wait until George freezes and then perch fish the rest of the season......but thats going to be a tough one this year.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2012, 03:21 PM »
Not familiar with navigating this site yet.....so I will try to keep posting and see what happens?? Not sure what board I do or do not have access to because I have not posted 5 times??
As there are no safe areas within the Capital District, I was wondering about Northern NY.....I had friends that fished Caroga and Sacandaga Lake.....NOT The "Great Sacandaga"....and caught a few fish last weekend...but even these are not fully locked yet.
I usually go to Lake Colby  to start the season ( would those of you questioning my geography  have a problem calling that northern NY???)  As Lakes such as Colby, Saranac, Harris, Indian and Tupper are a 2 1/2 to 3 hour ride....I defer to just driving up on a whim if I can get some info first.
The more "local" lakes......within a 1 to 2 hour ride....Like Trout Lake, Brant Lake, Schroon Lake, Eagle Lake and Moreau are more geared for the early season trout I am looking to fish. I usually wait until George freezes and then perch fish the rest of the season......but thats going to be a tough one this year.
tupper, colby and most everything up here is fishable
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2012, 03:29 PM »

::) YES THAT IS NORTHERN NEW YORK.

I don't know I always  kinda thought that from like Watertown back was more or less Northern NY.  Give or take.  But in reality it does not matter.  LIVE TO FISH and FISH to live and your goal should be to try to outfish the ICE DOG69 or go to your grave trying! :P   Whoooooooooooooohooooo oooooo!

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:07 PM »
hey icedog, when you coming this way?
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.