New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Ice???  (Read 3831 times)

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Northern NY Ice???
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:17 PM »
Wow....its a tough crowd out there.
Not familiar with navigating this site yet.....so I will try to keep posting and see what happens?? Not sure what board I do or do not have access to because I have not posted 5 times??
Don't pay any attention to us.  It's all just somthin to talk/write about.  Funny cause there was just such a discussion going on on the other NNY thread.
Lot's of ice up north of Watertown.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:58 PM »
The more "local" lakes......within a 1 to 2 hour ride....Like Trout Lake, Brant Lake, Schroon Lake, Eagle Lake and Moreau are more geared for the early season trout I am looking to fish. I usually wait until George freezes and then perch fish the rest of the season......but thats going to be a tough one this year.

Most of these just froze or are still freezing, I wouldn't head to any of them this weekend personally. If you go further north around Raquette and Long Lake the smaller lakes up there are pretty good. Make a few posts to get up to five and you can check out the reports and conditions board. Don't take the harassment personally, a lot of people are cranky because the ice is late.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:10 PM »
i don't think people are cranky b/c ice is late, but more along the lines of too many people asking where the safe ice is! if one would take the time to do a little reading of past posts anyone could and should be able to find somewhere safe to wet there lines. there finally got it off my chest and i bet I'm not the only one thinking this!!! do some reading, take some notes, and if all else fails TAKE A RIDE!!!!!

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Maybe this far north should be called heaven as we have ice. :tipup:

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:14 PM »
i don't think people are cranky b/c ice is late, but more along the lines of too many people asking where the safe ice is! if one would take the time to do a little reading of past posts anyone could and should be able to find somewhere safe to wet there lines. there finally got it off my chest and i bet I'm not the only one thinking this!!! do some reading, take some notes, and if all else fails TAKE A RIDE!!!!!
exactly, every time you look there is a new thread about someone asking about, eel bay, sacandaga, black lake, etc.... READ THE BOARDS
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:19 PM »

Bingo

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Those places are all southern adks, Depending on where guys live they consider anything north of thethruway to be northern NY but Ice Dog and NorthernnyIce and guys like myself having grown up in the true northern Ny know that those areas are 4-5hrs wouth of northern NY.  i think unless you are north of Old Forge area you should consider it "Northern but in reality you need to be north of Tupper where the men are men so aren't the women and the sheep run scared to consider it north country ;D

I say we draw a line from say... Pulaski to north of Lake George. Anything above that is NNY. Anything south of the line is central NY, capital region, southern adirondacks, whatever you want o classify it as.  IDK about the ice down there; its like 4 hours away!   ;D

Offline kicker431

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Son's first trip on the ice!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:07 PM »
I say we draw a line from say... Pulaski to north of Lake George. Anything above that is NNY. Anything south of the line is central NY, capital region, southern adirondacks, whatever you want o classify it as.  IDK about the ice down there; its like 4 hours away!   ;D

I will second this one.  I was on polarisatvforums.com last week and someone was looking to go riding close to where he lived in Northern New York.  I replied and said I would take him riding.  Turned out he was in Binghampton.  My NY geography aint great but I thought Binghapton was on the Pennsylvania (therefore Southern) Border. 

One way or another I am still not feeling confident enough to hit the ice just yet.  Please bring me some subzero weather to Chaumont Bay.
How can so much family fun be so tasty?

Offline RodandBobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:17 PM »
Heading to St Lawrence tomorrow, pm me if you want info afterwards
I thank God for everything in my life. But I especially thank God for ice.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:31 AM »

That's fine for guys that have 20 posts since 2005, all asking where there's ice. I think it's a bit different for a new member with two posts that can't even see the reports and conditions board yet. Let  alone know how to navigate the website. I always said that I thought a new member should need 50 posts or so to be able to start a thread, but I don't blame him for doing it without knowing the site yet.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:47 AM »
hey icedog, when you coming this way?

Maybe mid Feb.  I have been keeing in on Walleyes in transitional zones and doing OK on the St. Lawrence tuff to leave it :P

I will let you know the closer we get to Feb.  Have you been to the "SPOT" lately ?

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2012, 01:53 PM »
Maybe mid Feb.  I have been keeing in on Walleyes in transitional zones and doing OK on the St. Lawrence tuff to leave it :P

I will let you know the closer we get to Feb.  Have you been to the "SPOT" lately ?
no, not yet. couple friends have and nothing
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:08 PM »
no, not yet. couple friends have and nothing

Maybe they are not holding there tongues right in there mouth ::)

Those fish are not easy, I usually have to wear my special sun/fish seeing glasses to catch them.. ;D

Offline skbx3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:38 PM »
I grew up on the shoreline of the St. Lawrence River but didn't know until I moved West of Syracuse that Ogdensburg is a small city in Canada.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:04 PM »
I grew up on the shoreline of the St. Lawrence River but didn't know until I moved West of Syracuse that Ogdensburg is a small city in Canada.
Canada that's funny but still nny
Just enjoying life

Offline Vex liar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 15, 2012, 01:49 PM »
Same here

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.