New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing on canadarago lake  (Read 82644 times)

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fishing on canadarago lake
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:47 PM »
Went around the lake today, beautiful outside, but only saw 3 guys out and they werent very farout. Not sure how thick the ice is, but from the color it cant b much in spots, so b careful guys

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:49 PM »
is that a public access spot or private?

my source said 2.5"-3" and extremely variable ice.   surprised no one is out there on plywood sheets like some years.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:07 PM »
I was one of those guys, along with BIGJIM223.  Had a good day, although much slow time, but darn if that sun wasn't feelin good!  Ice was 3-4" of softish ice, may times the spud went through on the first hit.  But we all stayed dry so...     Perch bite picked up at sunset.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:26 PM »
What was the GPS numbers for that spot we fished today? Some nice perch in there! LOL!
  Seriously, it was a great day out there. The ice was a bit thin for me, but nobody got wet! Some nice perch were caught along with the usual dinks. It was good to get out and wet a line again!

BIGJim223

PS
Did you and Bob get anything after I left on the evening bite? Let me know.

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Just curious if state launch is best bet for safe ice and best access to lake? New guy on lake nO ice on Ontario yet!!! Those gps coordinates would be nice though... Lol just bustin ; :P

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:45 AM »
many times the spud went through on the first hit. 

:o   wow.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:42 PM »
You left 20 mins too early, BIGJIM, I'll leave it at that.....

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Story of my life....

BIGjim223

Offline Esoxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Certified Bait is ridiclus
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:27 PM »
You boyz rule cando. was there yesterday @Bakers watch guys catching perech smaller then my bait.Where's flanny and Jeff Butler?
Ice Fish only, stricly targeting Esox lucius and Masquinongy, everything else is just bait.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:38 PM »
Flanny was there with us settin up for 'eyes.  Didnt seem like he got any.  I'll be out on the east side sat sun and mon, you're welcome to check it out.   Biggest perch on wed was exactly 12" and .93 lbs, and was swelled up like a behemoth.  made the 10" perch look like shiners.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:09 PM »
You boyz rule cando. was there yesterday @Bakers watch guys catching perech smaller then my bait.Where's flanny and Jeff Butler?
Esoxman you need to get out and move around with the guys flanny was out there. How did you do ? grab fuller next time he knows all the boys. Good luck.
Mr.Esox

Offline tracy lowry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:23 PM »
all the people that whine about spot sharing and other info ihave a question what exactly are u here for just curious?

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:26 PM »
all the people that whine about spot sharing and other info ihave a question what exactly are u here for just curious?

?????? Whom are you addressing? Mr. Esox?

BIGJim223

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:51 AM »
I'll bet there aint much ice left now after 24 hours of rain and temps just below 40 degree's. All I have to say you guys are nuts for even fishing that place with 3" of ice. More power to you.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:19 PM »
It's not for everyone.  but to me 3" is plenty of ice if you know the lake.  I'm on that lake 200 days each year, so I have a pretty good idea when + where's safe.  On conditions like that, I'm not running all over the lake, just sticking to the bays I know are solid.  I'll be out there first thing tomorrow morn, hope there's not too much slush on the ice.

Offline Snowrd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:35 PM »
Please let us know the ice conditions tomorrow. I would like to fish it Sunday.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #46 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:34 PM »
Will do.

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:41 PM »
Good day on the lake today good fishing with u artic ice jigger

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #48 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:43 PM »
(Image removed from quote.) Good day on the lake today good fishing with u artic ice jigger

That'll get them running to Canadarogo!  Nice perch.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #49 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Nice job, where'd you fish?  I was on the east side, north of the island today.  4-5" of hard clear ice, with another 2" of frozen slush ice on top of that, all very hard.  Will have my sled out there this weekend.  Put over 100 perch on the ice, with many in the 8-9" range, several over 10.  Also had two pickerel, a fat 18"+13".  All in all, despite the gusty NW wind, a great day.  Will be out tomorrow braving the cold!

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:16 PM »
i believe it i was out checking the ice a week and a half ago and there were people fishing over 2 inches of ice i walked out a couple hundred yards behind the lakehouse......which part is considered the back side?
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #51 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:50 PM »
BigZin, I was one of those crazies.  I fish about a mile south of the lake house.  Been there all my life, never really called any part of it the back side, but if I were to, it'd be the far south end.  Maybe someone else would call the back side the east side, since its the opposite side from the boat launch/bakers beach?

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:03 PM »
hopefully tomorrow when we go out there me and bigzin catch our limit and that the ice is a little thicker than when we went a week and a half ago.
TEAMHACKSHACK

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #53 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:08 PM »
all kinds of good ice out there now, good luck.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:23 PM »
how do you get to the boat launch? where is the best place to park ive never fished cando?
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:33 PM »
You can park at the boat launch, which is on the west side of the lake, on rt 28.  There is decent fishing right off of that, in weeds in 5-15 ft then the deep basin in 35 ft which I never found productive.  South of the boat launch ( 1/2 mi by ice) is hyder creek  and a very productive point.  Bakers Beach is located on 28 also, about 1 mile north of the launch.  From there it is a 1/4 mi walk straight out to the sunken island, which is about 5 ft. deep surrounded by a steep dropping 35 ft.  Good spot.  Across the lake, you can gain access by parking across from the lake house walking between lake properties.  Also, a mile past that is Walnut Grove Rd., a seasonal road that people park at and walk down to the lake between camps.  The lake has a lot of fish, but gets devastating pressure, so, not to preach, but I encourage C+R/moderate keep rates whenever I can.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:58 PM »
check the reg book you can only keep 25 perch not 50 on this lake

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:59 PM »
i am more of a sport fisherman i keep some but throw back most if i get a good one ill keep it but other than that i enjoy the sport....thanks for your help its much appreciated!!

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:57 AM »
I live about 25 minutes from the lake and right now we are sitting at 9 below zero. So I bet good ice is being made on the lake today.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #59 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:47 AM »
Oh ya plenty cold.  I'm waiting till about 11 to go out, the sun'll be in the south sky then and the middle of the lake will warm up enough to fish comfortably.

BigZin, I appreciate your discretion as a sport fisherman, I am the same way.  Best of luck out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.