Author Topic: Wheel houses, Self made suspensions! Please post and brag about yours.  (Read 65330 times)

Offline sholbroo76

• IceShanty Rookie
I just bought a welder, going soon to buy steel, spindles, hubs, springs, bolts,ETC.  I was just hoping to find some great designs before I go ahead with my "in my own mind it will work," designfor a drop down suspension.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
i am hoping that i don't need to tell you this...and don't be insulted...because a lot of people just don't understand that owning a welder and knowing how to weld are 2 entirely different things.  i'm not trying to be discouraging just hoping that you realize you are putting metal together to tow a 2-3k lb trailer down the road at highway speeds.  with that being said there are a bunch of pics of frames in here already...just do a search in the ice shack tips.  a while back ago there was a guy who even had cad drawings of his ideas then took pics of the fab shop work to boot...can't remember his handle or i would point you to his direction.  i took a lot of ideas that he had and incorporated into the one that i want to build.
good luck

Offline natep24

• Team IceShanty Regular
willie1280 has a very nice setup...... here is a link

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=161667.0
Nate P
Firefighter/EMT

Offline svonasek

• IceShanty Rookie
willie1280 has a very nice setup...... here is a link

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=161667.0

I like this design.  I did something very close to this last year, but I used electric screw jacks.

I've got a bunch of pictures of some crank down assemblies if they would help you.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
I like this design.  I did something very close to this last year, but I used electric screw jacks.

I've got a bunch of pictures of some crank down assemblies if they would help you.

Please post them if you dont mind! And get up some new pictures of your shack, I really enjoyed that build.

:tipup:
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline svonasek

• IceShanty Rookie
Please post them if you dont mind! And get up some new pictures of your shack, I really enjoyed that build.

:tipup:

Here's a few pics and what I got from them.  I went another route so I never finished my drawing, but it should give you an idea

Offline sholbroo76

• IceShanty Rookie
So I got started and have slowly been building.  Today I put on the wheels and have a rolling trailer.  I just need to put my jacks on it and start building the actual house for the top.  Its been a great learning experience so far.  I will post some pics that i took as i was building it.  I did go to the local welding shop for a few things, made several trips to the local harware store, spent more money than I thought I would.  That being said I have really enjoyed this process so far.  I got a state assigned VIN, got my registration, I just need lights.  I plan to wire those through the shack on top. 

I first bought the steel and started by welding the major structure of the frame it is 10'5" by 6'6''

I had the local welding shop lathe down my spindles and drill holes in this 2x3 inch quarter wall steel, i put together some hubs I ordered and I got tires and rims for cheap from the local tire guy in town. 

I bought some sliding leaf springs, 1000 pound each, put them on upside down on that 2x3 that will work as my axle/suspension. 

I got some 14 dollar fenders, painted the frame and fenders, I had a friend help me haul it out of the shed. got it in the yard and assembled everything. 
The suspension hinges at the front on a 1 inch diameter bolt, and the springs bump against hitch pins.  its easy enough to set the trailer on the ground and back up into the traveling position for now.  But I am sure it will be near impossible when I have to shack built on it, still need to purchase those jacks.

up in the traveling position.

down ready to FISH

Thanks for those of you who replied when I started this thread.  I have not seen this design on this site but I copied what I could from a video I saw on Youtube that a guy had and was selling his.  I hope it works, like i said on my first post.  In my own mind it will work, but I guess I won't know until I hit the road with it. 

This will be a slow building process, I hope to have it done for next years ice.

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks nice so far sholbroo76. Keep us updated on all progress.

Offline 5758ericm

• IceShanty Rookie

Here is a picture of mine built the trailer and suspension last summer 6x10.   I also used 1 inch diameter pivot point in front but it wasn't heavy enough and the pivot point almost broke off on the first road test.  So i sleeved it up to an 1 1/2 diameter, now it is as good as new.  The one thing I learned is you can't build the trailer heavy enough, i hope this helps I will try and get a few more pictures of it tomorrow

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
looks good man!!  i was going to do one like this until a tree came down on my pop up.  common sense prevailed and i turned it into a hardsided icehouse.  i still would like to make one that drops to the ice though...maybe one day!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
How heavy will the structure you build be?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline sholbroo76

• IceShanty Rookie
@ 5758ericm, thanks for your post.  Yours looks great.  I am hoping the one inch works for me, I am trying to build the shack pretty light.  I don't intend to drive this thing across Montana nor at a very high speed.  I think I am going to stick with the One inch for now.  What grade bolt did you use?

@Ice Dawg, I hope to build it as light as possible, it really all boils down to finding light material for cheap.

Speaking of cheap.  My truck took a crap on me last week and its still at the shop, depending on the bill I may have to put this project on hold for a bit.  I havent made any progress since my last post execpt that I bought a light kit for.

Thanks for your replys.

Offline 5758ericm

• IceShanty Rookie
I used solid round stock cold rolled welded through the frame of the trailer I have been pretty busy so I will work on the Pics

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"

Offline 5758ericm

• IceShanty Rookie
Here are some updated photos of my shanty,ripped off all the plywood and put steel on it plus new windows

Offline sholbroo76

• IceShanty Rookie
exterior finished

Floor with catch covers

Beer Cooler Shelf.

First Road test.

I haven't been very good at updating you guys on my progress.  Here a few more pictures for you.  I am moving right along even though it is a very slow process.  I went three months just looking out the window at this between work and coaching football, and now I have been able to make more progress.  I framed it up with 2x3's, covered the framing with plywood.  The pictures I have posted don't show it but I insulated between each stud with one inch foam board.  I have since installed a propane heater that I purchased from northern tool.  It doesn't have a vent but with open holes the CO2 slips out the bottom and it keeps enough oxygen in there.  A buddy of mine had a bunch of exterior paint leftover from painting his house,  I wouldn't pick this color but it was free.  I took this out for a road test not too long back, with fingers crossed I got er up to 75 mph no problem.  could have gone faster if I owned a tougher vehicle.  I was very happy with the way she went down the road.  I am regretting one thing, I don't have much for clearance, I scrape pulling it out of the alley so I am going to have to find boat launches without much of a grade, or just do some scraping I guess.  Anyway thanks for looking.

Scott

Offline sholbroo76

• IceShanty Rookie
@ 5758ericm,  The steel siding looks like an impressive upgrade.  I was wondering what you used to lift that thing up an down?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
I was wondering also since I didn't notice any winches mounted anywhere.  ???

Offline 5758ericm

• IceShanty Rookie
I use the tongue jack once the tongue is on the ground and move it to the back corners.  There are mounting points for the jack on all four corners.  Here are a few more pics of the inside

Offline sholbroo76

• IceShanty Rookie
Oh I see.  What brand of jack?  the ones I have looked at.... available on store shelves has about 8 or so inches before the mount.  looks like your mounts aren't very far from the ground. I have a high lift jack that I am figuring to use by hooking onto my safety chains and lifting the tongue, then block it and move the jack to the sides one at a time.  I'm hoping this works but I originally planned to use winches.  after looking at several and thinking of my own craftsmanship skills I decided on jacks like you have.  after looking at the price and the ones available I didn't like how high I would have to put my jack points.  It would work if I had designed it a bit different.  anyway I decided buying a high lift jack would be about the same price, less work and a tool I can use for many other things.  Still I am curious where you found a jack that works with very little clearance.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I am regretting one thing, I don't have much for clearance, I scrape pulling it out of the alley so I am going to have to find boat launches without much of a grade, or just do some scraping I guess.  Anyway thanks for looking.

Scott

Mount some small roller wheels (like on RVs) on ends of the frame where it drags....

Offline sholbroo76

• IceShanty Rookie
Mainedog,

That is a fantastic idea, I think I am going to look into that.

Scott

Offline 5758ericm

• IceShanty Rookie
The jack I have you can get at farm and fleet or tractor supply. The brand is Bulldog and I cut the mount off the jack and moved it to the bottom and rewelded it , I will take a couple pictures this weekend of it and post them. I think we also cut some off the bottom of the jack also and rewelded the plate to gain zero clearance. That is where the blocks come into play.  I use the same jack for the tongue and for lowering it to the ground saved a little money that way

Offline sholbroo76

• IceShanty Rookie
I guess I'm not that inventive.  Good work.  I knew I wasn't crazy, I looked all over for jacks that would work.  I didn't think of chopping them up.

Scott

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.