The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Looking for a New Power Auger  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
Looking for a New Power Auger
« on: Feb 03, 2005, 08:31 AM »
 I read many of the threads and I am still not sure which one to get. I had a Mag2000 that the pulley went and the replacement Mag2000 lasted one trip with a clutch issue... Went it cut it was like a dream.... I am looking for a replacement.... I have on hold a Model 30 Jiffy but I am not sure if I should get it.... The weight is one thing and now I hear they don’t cut well but are reliable.... I would like to have one that cuts well and is reliable. It doesn't have to be a high-speed demon. Also service is another factor.... Thanks Morrocco Mole!
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking for a New Power Auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2005, 10:23 AM »
Since the SM and Jiffy use the same motor, the service shoudn't be a problem if someone in the area works on Tecumseh motors.  I bought a Jiffy 2hp stealth 8 inch last year and I love it.  I have not had any problems with the carb or having to adjust it out of the box.  I took it out last week for the first time this year.  I started it on Wed. at home and let it warm up.  The next day first pull and she started up.  With the stealth blades the 2hp cuts it with ease.  If I was to go with just a single chipper blade and not the stealth I may have considered a 3hp, but I have heard that some people have had problems with the 3hp.  My .02
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2005, 02:32 PM »
Hey, I just bit the bullet and odered a Nils Master 8 inch....

I hope it will be worth the cost? :-\

Morrocco Mole!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2005, 02:42 PM »
I thought you got one earlier in the year? Or were you just doing research? I'm sure you will be happy with the auger. A few pointers....

1) Let the unit warm up.
2) Watch out for the blades
3) Let the auger do the cutting. NO pressure is required.
4) Watch out for the blades when handling the unit...They will cut you. Trust me..I know. ::)
5) Run it full throttle when cutting the holes. No need to "feather the throttle" or any other funky stuff...Just grip it and rip it.
6) Run Opti2 or Amsoil Saber oils at 100:1 mix. That goes for all augers.

Enjoy.  ;D

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2005, 07:42 PM »
BOB_D
I was doing research but I did get the Mag 2000 and it just did not hold up!
I should have the Nils Master tomorrow and I hope to give it a try this weekend. I just hope it's starts and drills fine with out issues.... The Oil mix 100:1 is this to thin? Also is this a good mix for a brand new Nils Master?
BOB_D: Thanks for all the feed back...

Morrocco Mole!

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2005, 07:43 PM »
Bob_D :
I take that you have a Nils Master?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2005, 08:01 PM »
MM,
Yes I have a Nils Master. I purchased....Errrrr... My wife purchased it for a X-mas present a little over a year ago and I've been lovin' life ever since.

The oil mix of 100:1 is only for opti2 and Amsoil Saber. The other stuff you would see should be mixed at 50:1. I would really recommend the Saber or Opti2 for any auger. They make a motor run much better.

The choke position takes a little getting use to. I think it's....prime...full choke...one pull...half choke...starts on 3rd pull. Of something like that. It depends on how cold it is, etc. I just do it out of habit now and it's started in about 5 seconds...tops.

Let me know how you like it.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2005, 08:27 PM »
I have a strikemaster mag that is 20 yrs old and still cutting well.  I have been happy with it.  I plan on staying with strikemaster and getting a electric next year.  They have always been good for me.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2005, 09:42 PM »
i got my nils master power auger a week ago, and i will never go back to anything else - there is just no comparison...everyone that has used it is convinced too.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2005, 07:01 AM »
Bob_D; BigRedOnIce :tipup:

I hope that she is all that it's cranked up to be.... I am ready for something that will work and last a life time... This is my story and I am sticking to it!
MM...

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2005, 12:07 PM »
MM, I have had the predecessor to the Nils, when it was still called Tanaka, for better than 18 years.  It has been worked like a rented mule, and has not failed me yet!!  Keep it maintained, and you will be well satisfied with the unit.   

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2005, 12:35 PM »
Bushbunny:

I will due just that.... Do you follow the manual for maintenace instructions? What are the things you make sure you due every year?
Thanks
MM!

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2005, 04:31 PM »
Well I must say so far YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

I just put the powerhead on and Fired Her Up....

Short pulley cord  :D  and nice results zoooooom ;D this may be the way to go?

One pull and she restarts.... Also I noticed that you don't have to pull it nearly as hard as I done with the other power auger..... Just a short medium pull will do all the work. WOW :tipup: :tipup:

Morrocco Mole!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2005, 07:21 AM »
MM, drain the fuel, flash the engine and spray fogging oil into the carb until it quits.  If you don't use foggine oil, run the engine until it quits, pull the plug and squirt a small amount of mix oil into the cylinder, and turn the engine over a few times to spread the oil over the cylinder wall and rings.  Reinstall the plug.  Remove the gearbox plug and check for moisture. If there is a moisture indication, drain it and check out the possible sources, and refill with a synthetic gear oil.  Cover the engine, and store in a dry place for the summer.  In fall, install a Bosch or NGK plug, properly gapped, put in a fresh blend of fuel, and "Let'er buck"!!!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2005, 07:29 AM »
Bushbunny,
Just an FYI...The new Tanaka units must have a different gear unit. The new ones are sealed and use lithium grease and now oil. They only need to be serviced after 50 hours of USE. That is gear box use. Even if you figure 20 seconds a hole with clean out, that is 9000 hole.  ;D

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:29 PM »
it also says "at 50 hour intervals, and more frequently at heavy use"   heavy use would definetly mean being used to drill holes through thick ice, during cold weather

im gonna give mine grease every gallon or two of gas. (seeing as i have already gone through a gallon, and i have had the thing for only a little over a week).

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2005, 08:01 PM »
WOW a gallon of fuel... I did notice that the Nils has a grease fitting... What type of grease do you use?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2005, 12:52 PM »
bigredonice,
Heavy use is when it's used for commercial use. The 50 hours is gearbox hours and not motor hours. So, figure the 50 hours is only when the blades are turning. Remember these motors are commercial gas powered drills. When used in a commercial application, they are run continously for many hours. Once a season is probably overkill even if it's used a lot.

The manual calls for lithium grease.

Oh..MM, Did you use yours on ice yet? And, did you find the opti2 or Amsoil Saber?

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:14 PM »
BOB_D:

I can not find this oil... Maybe I can find it a sports car shop or something like that.... I am in SE Pennsylvania, maybe you can direct me to it.... By the way it runs like no other motor. so far to me it is worth every pretty penny spent... I try the lost cost stuff because we don't have ice for long but it just did not work out... Since I travel all over even out of my own state to ice fish to me it's worth having something that will start everytime and without any issues.... I am in love with this auger so far. I cut's like a Bat Out of $ell... Some guys have already asked me about it like... Is that one of them..... I should request them to take a bow and leave some change...

I would like to say thanks to everyone who helped with good and bad information about all augers so I could get a gem:    NILS  MASTER  ;D  ;D  ;D
MM!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:50 PM »
MM,
I'm glad to see that you are happy. Did you get one of the short shaft units from F i s h 3 0 7 . c o m?

You can get Saber direct from Amsoil, but it's more expensive from them. https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ato.aspx. I'd call some of the parts stores in your area and see if they carry amsoil products. If you are happy with the Nils using regular oil, these 100:1 mixes will really make you happy.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2005, 02:01 PM »
I got the short one and it fits in the Cabels carrier just fine... I will make some calls around and give it a shot...

Thanks Bob D

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2005, 06:17 PM »
i have visited their store more than a few times, but they just wont work out a trade or cash deal for a shortend bit for my nils

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2005, 09:20 PM »
Check out Opti2 at http://www.opti2-4.com.  They have a toll free number to call for the nearest dealer.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:16 AM »
just called the folks at interlube about the opti-2 - all true values, and ACE hardware either carry it, or can get it from their warehouse. BTW the people over at interlube are REALLY nice and helpfull.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.