New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chautauqua Lake B.S.  (Read 43507 times)

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chautauqua Lake B.S.
« on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Maybe this will help keep the Reports and Conditions thread clear. Maybe.......

With 40* temps and high winds expected I've got a bad feeling going into this season. I hope we get a cold snap soon, but I don't see us getting on the ice anytime soon. 3 weeks?

Hoping for some hard water action this year. I just bought my first flasher, a Marcum LX-3....any good?  and I will be building a Smitty Sled to help drag my Shappell 3000 and my gear out shortly.

I'm still trying to ice my first keeper Walleye, I've caught a couple shorties but nothing to really write about, all though I just did.

Anyway, just want to say how much I enjoy reading this site and hope we can keep the threads clear and the bickering to a minimum. I think that helps everyone.

So post away on this thread and if there is a question about conditions or places to stay I will try and help. I live in Chautauqua Shores, about in the middle between the Bell Tower and We Wan Chu.

Good Luck and Tight Lines......

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Chautauqua Lake B.S.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Maybe this will help keep the Reports and Conditions thread clear. Maybe.......

With 40* temps and high winds expected I've got a bad feeling going into this season. I hope we get a cold snap soon, but I don't see us getting on the ice anytime soon. 3 weeks?

Hoping for some hard water action this year. I just bought my first flasher, a Marcum LX-3....any good?  and I will be building a Smitty Sled to help drag my Shappell 3000 and my gear out shortly.

I'm still trying to ice my first keeper Walleye, I've caught a couple shorties but nothing to really write about, all though I just did.

Anyway, just want to say how much I enjoy reading this site and hope we can keep the threads clear and the bickering to a minimum. I think that helps everyone.

So post away on this thread and if there is a question about conditions or places to stay I will try and help. I live in Chautauqua Shores, about in the middle between the Bell Tower and We Wan Chu.

Good Luck and Tight Lines......

So can you put up me and 35 of buddies at your place??  Joking, just joking!!

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Its COOL TONIGHT!!!
Please stay that way....Ch. 4 did not make it sound like its going to last... >:(
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Thanks for creating this thread.

Has there ever been a year in recent memory that Chautauqua has not froze for hard water season?

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:51 PM »
ice beard I have not yet witnessed a year with out ice (this will be my 9th season living in the region). If the wind would mellow out it wont take long to get a "crust". Just have to be ready to hit it hard and  often when it comes. I  know Cassadaga lake has crusted over twice this season with the wind destroying what little we got both times. I only ice fish so this is killing me .

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Been hitting the lake every year for the last 25.  My guess is Jan. 20

Offline BobbyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:41 PM »
I wouldn't mind the late freeze as long as the ice holds till late March, but I'd b lying if i said I'm not organizing my gear everyday trying to take the edge off   :(
DR Bobby J. Hardwater
Field researcher in Ice Fisheries Sciences

Offline PerchPirate97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:59 PM »
since its the BS thread, anybody duck hunting on the lake??

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:33 PM »
The ice was forming today! Drove into Mayville today and it had started icing up farther out. South of the Bell Tower it was just slushy shores.  Tonight Will change that

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:12 PM »
Been hitting the lake every year for the last 25.  My guess is Jan. 20
... you’re probably right – we were on Dec. 30th last year, and got spoiled – but it shouldn’t be any later than the 20th this year! – I’m putting my money on the 14th - 15th latest!

… I’m over here, crouched down in my ..”Ready – GO” stance <smirk> (an hour 15 minutes from the lake)

… thanks for the scoop guys … I can’t seem to find a webcam that shows the lake --- any ideas? … thanks in advance!
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Only webcam that I know shows the plaza of Chautauqua Institution across from the library. This is about a block from the lake. I guess if anything it will let you know if it's snowing.

http://www.ciweb.org/webcam

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:51 AM »
... you’re probably right – we were on Dec. 30th last year, and got spoiled –

Very Spoiled!
Vexilar Entertainment System

Offline mush69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:04 AM »
I've been thinking about trying out there one of these years.  I have family that lives nearby and have always wondered what is in that lake.  What are the primary targets you guys are looking for?  I love my Perch and Crappies and would also love a slammer of a Walley opportunity.

Fish On!

Offline MAJOBER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live Free & Die Hard
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:05 AM »
Wanted To Say Happy New Year To: NateG C-Biskit Marcus Gamehog Hunters08 Flybuster ChautauquaDawg Jimski ........ its tough knowing that last year  the wife and i put a limit of calis on the ice new years eve and this year all we could do was talk about it.... its been a rough year already for us hard guys... interested to see what patterns may exist this year with the way the water temps have been.... Keep in touch guys and feed some info to each other.... gonna be a short season.... good luck guys....
" There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and dark of night, And if you go no one may follow, That path is for your steps alone.  Ripple in still water,When there is no pebble tossed,Nor wind to blow.  You who choose to lead must follow, But if you fall you fall alone, If you stand then who's to guide you? If I knew the way then I would take you home."  Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:35 AM »
http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/towerclimber/1/show.html

This webcam was just posted in the R&C thread, It is aimed at Burtis Bay.  Good Find!

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:44 AM »
that gets my blood pumping I can't wait . going to have to give it hell when we can might be a short season

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Wanted To Say Happy New Year To: NateG C-Biskit Marcus Gamehog Hunter44 Flybuster ChautauquaDawg Jimski ........ its tough knowing that last year  the wife and i put a limit of calis on the ice new years eve and this year all we could do was talk about it.... its been a rough year already for us hard guys... interested to see what patterns may exist this year with the way the water temps have been.... Keep in touch guys and feed some info to each other.... gonna be a short season.... good luck guys....

Happy New year!

Went form the woods to the ice last year...I have a serious case of cabin fever!! I still have your number and will connect with you soon.

Dawg...awesome link to webcam..Thanks!

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Getting the itch real bad now.  Went for a ride today and found that the lake was covered with ice as far as i could see crossing the bridge.  Lots of pressure cracks out there.  All good signs. 

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Happy New Year guys... Damn I hope it comes soon. I am going to check some smaller waters in this and catt county this weekend should be able to find some ice. I sure hope so, withdrawals are kicking in :).  Gonna be a fast season gonna have to hit it hard when it comes. keep safe, it will come soon enough

Offline hammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:51 PM »
         talked with a few  buddys about fishing  chatauqua they mention that they stop fishing there because the fish were full of somekind  of larva or maggots in there fillets. any body experience that ever and what would cause something like that . thanks

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:11 PM »
         talked with a few  buddys about fishing  chatauqua they mention that they stop fishing there because the fish were full of somekind  of larva or maggots in there fillets. any body experience that ever and what would cause something like that . thanks
… I’ve never  seen these (so called) worms / parasites in Chautauqua perch (ever) – but I only fish for perch there on the ice … I have seen them often, in other warmer water shallow ponds (open water fishing) over the years … for reference on Chautauqua – I’ve cleaned (seriously) near 2,000 – 3,000 perch in the last two years from this lake – never seen a one! … not sayin’ they’re not there – but I’m yet to encounter one!
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:15 PM »
did find a few gills with white grubs in the meat..removed with a tip of the fillet knife...and the ones I missed, just added protein!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Hammer, we have caught some with the grubs in them. Out of our 3 or 4 friend limit maybe get 3 or 4 with the grubs. Seems they are found more often in the perch we catch in shallower water. I would not pass this lake up if that is your only reason for it.  I fish there alot in the winter, sometimes almost obsessively  ;D.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:29 PM »
For me,  maby one or two in the last 5 years.  Still wouldn't stop me from the addiction.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:32 PM »
wonder if I am unlucky?  I know we fish the same areas. Certainly not stopping me though . I know I am going a bit off-topic, but Travis how did your deer season go ?

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:52 PM »
I've had nothing but clean and tasty fish from Chautauqa, but I dont have the years out there under my belt as many of you do. Im always pretty careful about checking out my fish too.  Really looking forward to the ice, just not the 1.5hr drive from here in Clarence! Hopefully this year I'll get to meet a few more of you folks out there.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:51 AM »
Not great on the hunting.  Put two in the freezer.  Never seen a good buck past archery season. Heading to Ohio on Friday for the late muzzy season.  Looking to hit the ice when i get back.  If no go i am heading out to find good ice.

Offline MAJOBER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live Free & Die Hard
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:15 AM »
Hammer, 75% of the time i fish calicoe in this lake and never ran into a problem with grubs.... personally i have never seen a grub in any of the fish but i have only fished the lake for 8 years or so..... i have kept my fare share of deep water perch in the past also.... this is, in my opinion, the most enjoyable lake to fish.... driving 11/2 hours one way doesnt even phase me for the overall satisfaction of this lake.... dont let a couple grubs deter you.....  Good Luck in Ohio Gamehog!  Give Em" 1.....
" There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and dark of night, And if you go no one may follow, That path is for your steps alone.  Ripple in still water,When there is no pebble tossed,Nor wind to blow.  You who choose to lead must follow, But if you fall you fall alone, If you stand then who's to guide you? If I knew the way then I would take you home."  Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:20 AM »
Hot cooking oil ill take care of them, all fish have something.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:39 AM »
There is no fish in this lake! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.