The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike on Ice Tourney on Seeley and Salmon Lakes  (Read 2348 times)

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike on Ice Tourney on Seeley and Salmon Lakes
« on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:32 AM »
Hi everybody, Just a reminder the tournament is coming up the last weekend of January. A few people expressed interest in attending the tournament last year if the date wasn't the same as the Lions club perch tournament on Canyon Ferry so Brad from Seeley Lake Sporting Goods moved the date a week later and what do you know so did the Lions Club! Oh well he tried! Hope to see lots of you there.
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike on Ice Tourney on Seeley and Salmon Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:28 PM »
Hey thanks for trying guys but we may be up there if you guys have better ice then what what Canyon Ferry has  :) I miss being able to do them both.

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:20 PM »
The ice is actually pretty good here due to the lack of snow. Hope you can make it!

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:31 PM »
I'd be interested in attendin. I can't fully commit, but I'd like to say I'll be there!

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:56 PM »
so whatre the details? I would love to road trip up for some pike'n

Molon Labe

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:19 AM »
Call Seeley Lake Sporting Goods for details and ask for Brad. 677-5253 He usually works Friday-Monday. It's 100% pay out so the more the merrier!  :)

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:29 AM »
We fished this tournament for about 3 or 4 years. This is the funnest tournament we have ever fished. Even though I don't think we have ever weighed a pike in it is just a great time  ;D

Offline thebasicfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:08 PM »
how is the ice looking around seeley/salmon?

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:40 PM »
The ice is good, better than it usually is due to the lack of snow. Salmon has 12 inches plus and Seeley had 6 to 11 depending on where you are at.

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:26 AM »
Just wanted to remind everybody the tournament is coming up this weekend. The conditions have changed considerably with all the snow from last week. It's probably going to be a lot tougher to get around in all the snow and slush. I was on Salmon yesterday and it was pretty tough going with my 4 wheeler and slow fishing, no flags. The conditions might change with a week of weather, just have to wait and see. It's still a good excuse to go fishing for a couple of days :) See you there! 

Offline Liprippa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:04 PM »
It would be nice if they would make different classes or tournaments for spearers and fishermen in my opinion they are two completly different things and should be treated as such.

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:21 PM »
I agree wholeheardedly with Liprippa.  I've done pike on ice a few times and been in top couple places in the first day with my hook and line caught pike only to find out the next day that spearers got bigger fish.  Both times, I'd had bigger fish in my hole, but either didn't induce a strike or broke one off.  With spearing, neither of those two things matter.

Offline Anyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:36 PM »
Well, how did you guys do?  I didnt want to deter anyone but I went to Seeley with 2 other guys on Friday and we never got a bite.  I finally called it and we went down and hoofed it into Harper and fished until dark.  Finally picked up one nice trout.  Did this weekend just suck everywhere!?

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:14 PM »
It was pretty slow :( First place was 17.1 pounds, second place 16.3 pounds, third place 15.2 pounds. Big fish for Saturday was 9.9 pounds and big fish for Sunday was 12.35 pounds. Saturday wasn't too bad, Sunday was really slow with the low pressure system. Only 28 people in the tournament. A few of you guys questioned the spearers and the hook and line folks being grouped together. I let Brad know your concerns and he said a lot of the spearers also have a tip-up outside the shack. It was still a good tournament, there's no such thing as a bad day of fishing. :)

Offline greyling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:29 AM »
Well the fishing for us was a little slow.  We did end up getting a few smaller fish, and had a great time up in seeley.  As far as the tournament goes, it was not one of my favorites.  As first timers to POI we would of liked to see some sort of introductions to the tourney and whoever was in charge.  I enjoyed the time we had up in seeley, but our first time in the POI tournament was probably our last.  I think $35/person is too much especially if there are no t-shirts, which I've heard was one of the coolest parts.
"No life is so happy and so pleasant as the life of the well-govern'd angler." - Izaak Walton

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:26 AM »
There usually are shirts but the minimum to order is 50 and fewer than 20 people had registered for the tournament  a week prior to it starting so they just decided to put the shirt money in the payout.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.