The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: eskimo mako 43 gas leak???  (Read 6970 times)

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
eskimo mako 43 gas leak???
« on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:54 PM »
my auger seems to leak fuel when i transport it in the truck and in my jet sled.  i cant seem to find the leak anywhere, does anyone have this problem?? starting to get annoying cleaning my tip ups ect. that are getting oil/gas on them ;;

and yes, i close the breather on the gas tank b4 i transport.

thanks

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: eskimo mako 43 gas leak???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:00 PM »
could be coming out of 2 places . the carburator where it might leak out or drip out undected or the second spot could be the gasket on the fuel cap . check these places first.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:01 PM »
Try to locate the leak, having gas on tip-ups is'nt going to be conducive to catching!! 

The gasket on the cap vent is a common failure.  Cut the old flat one out and grab a similar size Oring and stretch it over the screw part of the cap vent and that will fix it. 

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:44 PM »
When I had my Mako it leaked also, found the leak on the gas tank. Where the bolt holes are. Fixed it with some silicone until Eskimo sent me a replacement. They're pretty good about that. goodluck

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:06 PM »
Pretty famous for fuel line problems too so if your fixing, go big....
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:22 PM »
it kinda looked like it was coming from the bolts but wasnt sure.  seemed to easy to think it was the bolt that was going right into the gas tank lol and i know it wasnt coming from the gas cap. no gas can hit the cap when its laying flat on its side with the cap upwards.

hmm when you got yours replaced did eskimo say anything about it??

will have to try to see if there is some sort of gasket on the bolts, dont know how well silicone will hold up with gas.

Offline finchasr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:49 AM »
Had the same prob w/ mine - called Eskimo while still under warranty (1 week left!) and they sent a replacement tank in 3-4 days. Great CS! If not still under warranty I think a tank is under 15 bucks...

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:53 AM »
thanks guys for the input ^^ ill check out eskimo and see what they say.

Offline Murf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2012, 04:43 PM »
I have a rapala which is a mako with different stickers and I have problems when transporting it as the plastic filter housing area always seems to have some oil seeping out of it.  I have wiped it out but it always seems to show up after storage or transporting.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.