Author Topic: auger shakes  (Read 4577 times)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
auger shakes
« on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:27 AM »
hey guys looking for help.i have a strikemaster mag power auger that the whole drill assembly moves where it goes in the power head more than it should.called strikemaster and only idea seemed to be loose collar,but it is tight.has anybody experienced this and is there anything i can do to fix.its about 8- 10 yrs old and runs great.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: auger shakes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:33 AM »
Check to see if the auger shaft is bent.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:52 AM »
it doesnt seem to be it drills good but when you grab the shaft and wiggle it moves atleast twice as much as normal.cant be good.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:04 AM »
Sounds like the bolt has come loose. Common thing to do.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:41 AM »
Did you change the blades recently? If you did you might have accidentally used the roung blades or not put something back on correctly. that is what happened to me so I thought I might just mention it.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Sounds like the bolt has come loose. Common thing to do.

2X that allen bolt on the shaft will loosten up allot I used locktight on my new one because I lost one.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:00 PM »
the allan bolt in the collar isnt loose.it seems like its right where it goes in the power head.i didnt really feel comfortable taking it apart,hate to just wait till something brakes.anybody know whats inside there?

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:11 PM »
What's in there?  ;D a whole bunch of toothy little chinamen running in opposite directions.  Some people have loose shafts 'cause they're toooo small. 
Now you are saying it's loose where the shaft goes into the powerhead(the motor) or the transmission(gearcase), a big difference. 

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:18 PM »
the first thing the shaft goes in after the collar i guess the transmission(gearcase) sorry.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2011, 04:32 PM »
had that issue yrs back on an old auger. pull the drill off the power head & check the pay of the shaft to the tranny. there's a bushing in the lower case that may be on the way out. it was about a $5.00 fix back then. the bushing is a copper color... the name of it escapes me. if that's not the problem, quit drinking so much coffee or drop it of at strikemaster ;D

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Had the same issue with a POS strikemaster I bought years ago, back around 1994, one of the lazer mags.

Constantly had to tighten the allen bolt, and even checking it each and every time I hit the ice, it still loosened up to the point of cracking the auger shaft itself.

Seems to be a long term design flaw, because the SM my cousin bought did the same thing with the loosening bolt, and he only used it 6 times last winter before it crapped out, but that was for a blown gearcase/clutch.

Thank God Jiffy made bulletproof model 30's.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:12 PM »
there's a bushing in the lower case that may be on the way out. it was about a $5.00 fix back then. the bushing is a copper color... the name of it escapes me. if that's not the problem, quit drinking so much coffee or drop it of at strikemaster ;D

It's probably bronze or commonly called "oilite"

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:21 PM »
yep that's it. if it's been shaking for a while you may want to check into replacing the shaft. it all can be done by you with the proper tools & no service charge....just the parts.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:25 PM »
the allan bolt in the collar isnt loose.it seems like its right where it goes in the power head.i didnt really feel comfortable taking it apart,hate to just wait till something brakes.anybody know whats inside there?
Is it the right bit for the auger? Also is the hole egged out? Those are the 2 biggest things I can think of.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:52 AM »
the auger is fine running,its when its not that you can see and feel it move ,like when i put it down on the ground.its untouched from factory other than 1 blade change ,so i would assume the bits right.it seems to be moving above the collar so i am not sure if a bit change would help.the bushing sounds interesting.has anyone tackled that?hey thanks allot guys for trying to help ,one of the main reasons I.S rocks is the people.ice fishermen should run the world ;D ;D

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2011, 04:28 PM »
if it's the bushing it's a p[iece of cake. take the bit off & invert the powerhead on your work bench. remove the transmission bolts & split the case if the bushing doesn't fall out it cane be removed by tapping it out with a punch & small hammer.try not to let the punch fly off the bushing & hit the case. re assemble in the reverse.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:54 AM »
thank you jonperry,and everyones else who has helped me on this.im going to take it apart and see if i can see this bushing and see if i can fix it.thanks guys happy new year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.