New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: eel bay  (Read 11045 times)

Offline MrPike

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: eel bay
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:47 PM »
Where is the access to eel bay durring the winter??  I go up to Clayton area every summer and would love to ice fish up there but have no idea where the access would be for any ice fishing up there.

take I 81 north to Wellesley Island, take first exit after you cross the bridge, take right and another right at the stop sign, take first right headed into Wellesley Island State Park, after going through the ticket booth area, take the first left and you will see the cars parked where the on ice access is located.  Saturday there was almost 5 inches...should be replacing whatever was lost on Sunday and making more tonight and tomorrow.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Anybody planning a trip up here tomorrow or Wednesday, check with some locals first.  We've had 20-40 MPH winds for the past 24 hours and it's supposed to continue through tomorrow...it wiped out Chaumont Bay overnight...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Anybody planning a trip up here tomorrow or Wednesday, check with some locals first.  We've had 20-40 MPH winds for the past 24 hours and it's supposed to continue through tomorrow...it wiped out Chaumont Bay overnight...

I'm planning a trip leaving tomorrow morning from Conesus Lake I spoke with T.I. bait shop person that said that it should be fine for tomorrow, that there was safe ice yesterday and with the low temps today tonight and tomorrow should be fine. 

Any current reports as of this evening?
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:01 AM »
If Sandy isn't fishable on Fri , I think I am going to try Eel bay.  Kinda funny how things work.  I picked last year to start ice fishing and had a season of A LOT of ice and so much snow that it made waking on oneida quite the workout............... ....now in contrast, I am itching to get going on my second season.....loaded up with gear. and NO ICE?? 

If I do head to Eel bay....anyone got any pointers they are willing to give  ;) ;).  Looks like it is all fairly shallow and there dosn't look at quick glance to be much "structure".  Is it mostly trying to find the weed edges and wait?

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:17 AM »
I maybe heading there my self. I have a couple spots to look at.

Offline john23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:21 AM »
it is all pretty much the same. as you are standing on shore looking out I have had better luck on the right side. I go once a year for the past 10-12 yrs.

Offline ugotmcmahonhere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 03, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Heading up friday. Ive only fished there once.  It's kind of a hall from syracuse but Im jonesing to get on some ice.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:42 PM »
same eel bay, on champlain?

Offline uplandguide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Eel Bay on Wellsley Island in the  St Lawrence River part of the 1000 Islands - other side of the state.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:31 PM »
sorry, was thinking of kings bay on champlain

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:38 PM »
anybody go out today how thick is the ice

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Anyone know if Goose Bay up by Kring Point has got Ice?

Offline jeepjunkie007

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Go Big or Go Home!"
« Reply #42 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:05 AM »
Did anybody make it out there today? I'm heading over there tomorrow morning and was wondering how the ice was after the wind yesterday.

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:30 AM »
Goose Bay (Kring Point) had 3-4 inches of ice on the 31st... fished it for a few hours before the rain sent me packing...  I'd bet there's a solid 5 or 6 inches on there now.

Offline perch md

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Was thinking about heading up from rochester area was wondering about conditions for the weekend

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:31 AM »
Stopped by Eel yeaterday morning, noone out there. Drilled a hole about 200yds out, only about 3-3.5 inches. Good news tho, ice was being made with temps ot 3 degrees and cracking like and SOB. Buddy fished there after we left and got a few small pike and a decent pile of perch..
"Don't take any wooden nickels"
Oswego,NY  CU Alum ~Go Golden Knights~

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:41 AM »
Just got off the ice, there was about 5 inches there.... cracking and burping like a SOB.  Quite a few people out there for a Wednesday morning.

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Nice guys. Stay safe ill be up in the area next week sometime. Tight lines. Stay safe.
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline Reel Addiction 2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 3rd double of the day
« Reply #48 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:47 PM »
thinkging about making the trip up there this weekend. Gotta talk my two buddy's into it.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:39 PM »
I would assume eel will be packed this weekend... it's going to be like Black Friday... camping out fishin all night long just for a spot during the day! 

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:48 PM »
Good to hear there is ice. I make a middle week trip for less traffic. Good parking places would be nice if someone can help out with that

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Just go to the state park, follow the sign to the boat launch by taking a left, and the launch will be a little ways down on your right. Can fit a few vehicles there and there's always parking on the road or trek through the woods on your right. . .

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:44 PM »
Just go to the state park, follow the sign to the boat launch by taking a left, and the launch will be a little ways down on your right. Can fit a few vehicles there and there's always parking on the road or trek through the woods on your right. . .
Thanks fishon. I was thinkin that would probly b best. Is the ice safe enough and consistant enough for a sled normally or?

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #53 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Might head up to Kring Point Monday, Hope there is Ice on Goose Bay, and I really hope the Perch are hitting!

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:46 PM »
I think they got some good stuff on the nny thread for kring. Best to ya and post how it was if u can hit it

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:08 AM »
So I am guessing Kring Point state park is the public access for Goose bay?  Is that kinda the same as Eel bay depth wise?  Kinda a pike/panfish spot?  Never been to either. Headed up Friday.  Given the choice , which one should I head to or are they both kinda equal?

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:38 AM »
There similar in depth but goose has a little more variation in the contouts. Same species. Ive only fished there once and the fishing was slow compared to eel or loti

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:55 AM »
There is a public launch for Goose Bay that is separate from Kring Point. Most people use the public launch, but it doesn't really matter.....the whole bay is shallow.

Offline jeepjunkie007

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Go Big or Go Home!"
« Reply #58 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:44 AM »
I'm heading out in a few minutes.  Ill update later with the current thickness after the last deep freeze.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Thanks fishon. I was thinkin that would probly b best. Is the ice safe enough and consistant enough for a sled normally or?

The ice is consistent... when I was out yesterday, the thinkness was about 5 inches, but will get thicker.  I like to wait for a little more before I bring a machine out, but the ice stays good in there.  There was chunked up ice a little ways out but everyone was fishing between that and the shore.  I drilled right by the "ice pack" and it was still a good 5, but I didn't want to venture over it and it didn't look like anyone else wanted to either.  It's weird, but there are pike and perch all throughout the shallow bay and people were running to their tips like crazy, but I would assume a good % of their flags were perch as I was having dink perch go after bigger bait.  With the warmup we are supposed to have Friday and Sat., I'd be hesitant to bring a machine out.  Stay safe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.