Author Topic: Lightest 9-10 inch power auger  (Read 4328 times)

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lightest 9-10 inch power auger
« on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:59 AM »
I drill around 50-60 holes everytime I go and my old Jiffy 30 is getting too heavy to keep doing that.  My hope is to sell it and my ICE 35 and get a new auger.  I would like to be as light as possible and have a 9 or 10 inch hole.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lightest 9-10 inch power auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2011, 11:39 AM »

i should clarify.  I can't find the weights for the Jiffy Augers.  Right now I am leaning towards a Strike Master Magnum.  Seems to be the lightest and biggest.

Bullelk34

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2011, 11:48 AM »
I had a Strikemaster before my Jiffy, and it seems they are about 10 lighter than a Jiffy. Do you have a backup flasher? I wouldn't sell the 35 unless you had another.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2011, 11:53 AM »
jiffy doesnt advertise weight because there so heavy.  they are good, long lasting augers.  Strikemaster strikelight or nils are the lightest.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2011, 11:59 AM »
I set up my 788ci and 345c for Ice fishing and like them better.
Doing some more researcha nd reading the forums on here now I am leaning towards the Eskimo Stingray.  An 8 inch is 28lbs and on sale at Cabela's for $299. 
Where as a 8.25 inch Strikemaster mag is 25lbs but like $150 more.  Jiffy is just too heavy for an ice troller like myself.  And I think I will be ok downgrading to an 8 inch seeing as how I mostly fish for walleye they will all fit through that size hole.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2011, 11:59 AM »
The Strikemaster power augers with the Lazer drill will be one of the lightest. Strikemaster uses a lot of plastic on their augers which helps to keep the weight down.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Give up the inch and get a Nils Master.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2011, 12:29 PM »
The Nils looks awesome but the price is a little daunting.
Here is what I have learned so far.  Jiffy is the heaviest but probably the fastest, strikemaster is the lightest but durability may be an issue (lots of plastic). The Eskimo is the cheapest and 2nd lightest but the Stingray is only 1.2HP so will that be REALLY slow or willi t be similar in cutting time to my Jiffy 30?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2011, 12:33 PM »
The Nils looks awesome but the price is a little daunting.
Here is what I have learned so far.  Jiffy is the heaviest but probably the fastest, strikemaster is the lightest but durability may be an issue (lots of plastic). The Eskimo is the cheapest and 2nd lightest but the Stingray is only 1.2HP so will that be REALLY slow or willi t be similar in cutting time to my Jiffy 30?
If you have the one chance to get the Nils don,t pass it up. Pay now or regret later.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2011, 02:41 PM »
My father has had the strikemaster strikelite for 3 years now.  Weighs 23 pounds and doesnt need oil mixed with the gas, 4 stroke.  He had a jiffy model 30 before that.  The strikelite cuts just as fast if not faster than the model 30 because it has 2 blades instead of the chipper on the model 30.  The only issues with the strikelite so far was the fluting on the auger was plastic and it iced up alot, he bought the new lazer auder bit which is metal.  The new ones have the metal fluting from the factory.  The only thing is that it costs 550.  Also a tank will cut more than the 50-60 holes you say you cut every time out.  I have a 6 inch nils hand auger and can say that its great and as fast as some power augers, 3 years with the same cutterhead and its still sharp.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2011, 02:54 PM »
I am trying to keep the price under $350.  I use my hand auger early ice but when there gets to be 7 inches or more I go power auger.  Right now there is 8-9 inches on the lakes I fish.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2011, 03:02 PM »
8" Nils hand auger will be as fast as most power augers in early ice, add the Tanaka and your looking at 20 pounds total with a 42" auger, a little more going to the 48"... It will be the last auger you will ever buy, Tanakas are the most reliable small engins on the market.... besides being light and reliable theres nothing faster for drilling a hole and no plastic...

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2011, 03:12 PM »
It's still $220 over what I can afford though...

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2011, 03:35 PM »
Theres a brand new one for sale in the classifides.... spendy yes but factor in replacing a cheaper auger every several years it's cheaper in the long run....

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2011, 09:38 PM »
Fleet Farm has the Eskimo Stingray for 249 and they have the 8 inch Mako for 259. There is about a 3 pound difference between the two if that is enough to tip the scale but I am going to order a Mako tomorrow.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2011, 09:58 PM »
The Eskimo Mako is also available in 10" at 33 lbs.
I just bought a Rapala Nitro auger in 8" for $249 (Can) on sale at Canadian Tire. This is just a re-branded Eskimo Mako with all the same parts & specs other than paint colour & stickers.

Not sure if they are available south of the border though.
The Fleet Farm deal sounds decent.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2011, 09:10 AM »
looks like you need an eskimo. 

Lower HP augers have different gear ratios and different style blades, so HP isn't really that big of a deal. 

For the real heavy lifting duties....like you bottom the auger out and still haven't hit water so you need to add the extensions - the 3hp is going to shine.  For everything else, any HP will be fine. 

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:08 AM »
The Eskimo Mako is also available in 10" at 33 lbs.
I just bought a Rapala Nitro auger in 8" for $249 (Can) on sale at Canadian Tire. This is just a re-branded Eskimo Mako with all the same parts & specs other than paint colour & stickers.
(Image removed from quote.)
Not sure if they are available south of the border though.
The Fleet Farm deal sounds decent.

I just ordered one when they had them on sale.    ;D
Still waiting for it to come in though.   :-\

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2011, 05:59 AM »
I just ordered one when they had them on sale.    ;D
Still waiting for it to come in though.   :-\
I picked mine up at the store when they went on sale.
In store stock cleaned off the stores selves fairly quick.
First store I went to had none but checked nearby stores on the computer for me and I headed for a nearby store that had 6 left. Only 4 left when I got there & one less a couple minutes later.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:05 AM »
I picked mine up at the store when they went on sale.
In store stock cleaned off the stores selves fairly quick.
First store I went to had none but checked nearby stores on the computer for me and I headed for a nearby store that had 6 left. Only 4 left when I got there & one less a couple minutes later.

They got 5 in at our local store but they were all gone before I got there and the only way to get one at that price was to order it in.
Next closest CTC is 1500kms away!!!!
So going from store to store wasn't an option.
Luckily my 10" Strikemaster runs great.    ;D
This one is a second auger incase I have auger issues ever.
Don't want to be without.   ;)
Plus it's newer and lighter.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:57 AM »
If you want to keep it light just get a nils hand auger, the 6" weighs 5 or 6 pounds and will cut with little effort very fast. You could easily cut thru a foot of ice in no time at all and not be tired.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.