Author Topic: How to catch brook trout and brown trout through ice?  (Read 25460 times)

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
I catch perch and pickerel through ice all the time, there is a small clear lake near me that has wild brook trout and stocked browns in it. I have caught some real nice ones in the spring but never ice fished it. How would you ice fish for trout?

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
Re: How to catch brook trout and brown trout through ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:22 PM »
I'd use two rods, 3 feet apart.  Jigging rod would be a red/gold Thomas Buoyant or Kastmaster spoon, 1/8 oz, and the still rod would be a 1/16 oz brown/orange or  black/red marabou jig tipped with a half mealworm or some raw shrimp.  Both species love these combinations and I've caught some hogs of each species on them.  Fish right off the bottom of course.

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:19 PM »
thanks

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Do Really well jigging live shiners close to shore near stream inlets/outlets

JJ

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:32 PM »
I catch perch and pickerel through ice all the time, there is a small clear lake near me that has wild brook trout and stocked browns in it. I have caught some real nice ones in the spring but never ice fished it. How would you ice fish for trout?

Noticed you were from NY, most likely that small lake is off limits to ice fishing, especially if it has brookies. Trout waters that are open to ice fishing are listed in the Regulations guide. The few trout waters that are open to ice fishing usually have other species like perch and pickeral in them as well as trout.

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2011, 05:51 AM »
I checked the regulations, it is permitted. But you can only keep 3 per person and they have to be 12 inches

JJ

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:47 AM »
Cool, now you just need some cold weather to get out there, good luck. Very few places to catch brookies through the ice in NY.

Llike others said, try near shore for both species.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:53 AM »
Do Really well jigging live shiners close to shore near stream inlets/outlets

(Image removed from quote.)
The colours on that are beautiful!  I hope to ice my first brookie this winter  :)
Tight lines

Offline The Ice Man

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICE FISHING WESTERN MASS.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2012, 06:52 PM »
i fish in mass. and catch lots of trout, i find that they like to cruise shore or just under the ice  looking for bugs and and other aqutic life to feed on and that if u set your lines there they will hit. the rig i use for browns brookies and bows a like is a 4lb or 6lb florocarbon leader with a small lazer shap wire hook baited with a small shiner or meal worm. i set this rig eaither under a tip or an HT ice rigger  jig pole set up. i prefer the HT ice rigger jig pole sett up because the trigger is lighter then normal tip-up
"I dont need church, the woods,lakes and rivers are my church."
                     (My Dad)-Scott Johnson

Offline andybob524

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:47 PM »
Howdy, new here so bear with me... If the trout cruise just under the ice whats a good starting depth to place the tip-ups, 3ft down or so? 

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2012, 12:51 AM »
It seems to me (and I'm a lot further west) that browns will cruise along the bottom in 15 ft or deeper water while brookies and bows will be closer the surface. While activley feeding trout will move from deeper to shallower water, as shallow as 2 or three feet of water, but not always the case. They will also be actively feeding in deep water but still moving 10'-20' (or deeper with browns) under the ice in search of food. I like to jig something flashy.... kastmaster, pk, swedish pimple,or just your favorite spoon with a bit of "meat" on it for scent, Drop it all the way down and jig it up moving a crank at a time and spending some time at each level in the water column. In clear water the fish will be attracted from long distances. Sound also helps, triggering agression strikes quite often. I also use a dead stick with some sort of smaller presentation... like a maribu jig, rocker jig, scud or ice fly, again with some meat. Half a mealy seems to do the trick for me too, but shrimp are great as well. Good luck

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2012, 01:47 AM »
Excellent reply Kirkwood Kyle!  :tipup:

Offline mrkimmerly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's not the bait on the end of your line
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2014, 07:25 PM »
#Allstar Brookie! What a catch!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.