The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hunter's Lake-Sullivan County??  (Read 16108 times)

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
Re: Hunter's Lake-Sullivan County??
« Reply #60 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:11 AM »
My guess is that the lakes wont make the weekend.  I know I am probably geting on today in the poconos for the last time untill we get som cold weather. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:52 PM »
My guess is that the lakes wont make the weekend.  I know I am probably geting on today in the poconos for the last time untill we get som cold weather.

Agree JM...doesnt look too good.

Oh well...my Lund will be readied within a few days  for some early flounder drifting & upper chesapeake early stripers just around the corner. I also hear they are hammering  huge yellow perch currently in upper reaches/tributaries of the Chesapeake right now.  I wont miss a beat just because of weather!! lol  Be future hard water season's ahead!! :tipup: :tipup:

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Make sure you watch the regs for early stripers on the flats. The MD DCNR is a real bunch of shady characters. They don't want to publish regs and they try to bust anyone they can. They are the reason I havn't bothered going down for stripers or shad the past couple years. My grandfathers having some health issues so I think I will try to get him down for shad this year, he really loves fishing for shad. I just have nothing for the state of MD.

Anyway I think I'm going to burn some gas and try to get on ice this weekend.

Offline BrewCrew27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:50 PM »
with the way the weather has been all season, hunters isnt a place to go walking around.  too many springs. especially with all this precipitiaion  and warm temps we keep getting. 

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 02, 2012, 05:50 PM »
Most uniform ice i found on Hunters this past weekend was down around the dam breast area.  Wide areas there with very solid ice with no springs. Likely took a major hit last coupla days fer sure.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 03, 2012, 12:49 AM »
I can think of two or three springs right in that end of the lake. If you don't fish it on a regular basis, I wouldn't advise fishing there now.

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 03, 2012, 07:01 AM »
I can think of two or three springs right in that end of the lake. If you don't fish it on a regular basis, I wouldn't advise fishing there now.

On the parking lot side?? If they were there...I sure didnt see any inasmuch as I pretty much covered the whole area from dam's concrete inflow(out 100 yards) to shoreline. Possibly on far side?  i didnt get over past the dam's concrete inflow box. Would like to  know for future trips...

irregardless...likely no areas with fishable ice now & even if any...I strongly suggest extreme caution if you venture out.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:53 AM »
One the parking lot side, about 75 yards up on the left, and two on the far side, one about 30 yards and one about 75-80 yards. There is also a weak spot at early and late ice, where the old dam laid.

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 03, 2012, 05:23 PM »
One the parking lot side, about 75 yards up on the left, and two on the far side, one about 30 yards and one about 75-80 yards. There is also a weak spot at early and late ice, where the old dam laid.

Thanks for info. Yeah saw the lil spring on parking lot side bout 75 yds to left...was obvious seeing the small open area water closely along shoreline impacting only a small area of ice. Didn't get over to far side since I was getting into some trout nearside. All other areas safely locked-up per my time fishing there last weekend.

Offline slatts79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 04, 2012, 07:12 PM »
5" of good ice. 12-15 guys on it each of the past two days. Buddy told me his group caught about 15 perch, only 3 keepers, 2 pickerel, 3 bass and about a dozen small gills today. No trout, but they only fished in deeper water. He said he saw some trout caught in close to the shore and down by the dam. Ice is like a skating rink so take along some creepers so you don't end up on your back side!

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:52 AM »
I'm headin up to my Sullivan County hunting camp Thurs(2/9) till Sunday and plan to either ice fish Hunters or RV if still good ice.  Will be takin my rifle along & mebbie look for some squirrels & yotes as a back-up plan in case I can't fish.

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Probably better ti stick to Hunters. RV isn't the best. My dad and I were the only ones there on friday and Sunday. Ice at South end where we fished is 3 to 3 1/2"  And spiders and cracks when I walk across it. Probably not the smartest thing I have done fishing ice like this, but i was with my Dad and he's done a lot dumber things so I think I was par for the course. The water is pretty cold and i really don't want to swim in it this time of year. Looks like headed north the rest of the season til that ice is gone...Stupid weather......

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #72 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:43 PM »
Is Hunters still good to go?  I can't get out until Sunday.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline jlively22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:18 PM »
anyone know the ice conditions for hunters lake right now, feb, 07-2012? me and my friends are debating between going to ricketts glen or hunters lake, we went to lake jean last weekend but would like to visit hunter's if the ice is good> any feedback would be great!

Offline slatts79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:19 PM »
My buddy said there was 5" on Saturday when he was at Hunters. The weather has been ok low 40's by day and mid 20's at night. Thinking it should at least be holding that 5". Also heard RV had open edges around the lake last weekend, you may want to stay away until or if we get a good cold snap!

Offline jlively22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:08 AM »
what does everyone mean when they say RV? i havent figured it out yet, i dont wanna sound dumb but just wondering, and does anyone know if they stocked hunter's lake at all this winter? i'd like to catch some trout since obviously there's no way I'm going to be getting on pine creek this winter!

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:53 AM »
RV= Rose Valley Lake

Offline icenut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #77 on: Feb 08, 2012, 01:18 PM »
Hunters lake is going to get stocked Feb. 21st.

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:20 PM »
Gonna hunt squirrels & yotes Friday and be on RV or Hunters Sat.  Lookin promising with some cold stuff moving in!! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:59 PM »
RV = Rose Valley

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Fished Hunters on Friday(2/10).  Bout 3-4" good ice straight out from ramp area.  Also there were 3 fishing down at dam. Not sure how the ice was in dam area. I caught several nice yellow perch & one pick just where depth dropped to approx 22'. Bite was  lil slow. No one else on lake other than myself  & the guys at dam  friday afternoon..

Offline Kking1016

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:11 AM »
i know this discussion has not been active for awhile but does anyone know ice thickness.

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:50 PM »
Just got home from Hunters. Ice was 8" where I was at on the dam end. Flags were fast with runners and then drop for about 45 minutes. Had doubles and one triple. Only one hammer handle on top of the ice though.
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline dsr02364

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Was wondering about Hunters lake...have fished there in the summer and saw some big perch..but have never ice fished there...want a smaller lake feel than RV, as I grew up fishing smaller lakes and ponds and dont really have the greatest gear for a bigger lake...how bad are the springs? would like to go saturday, but I dont really want to go for a swim.
Thanks in advance and sorry if resurrecting an old report is bad news-I am new here.--thanks

Offline Jabbsalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:49 PM »
Dsr02364, don't let the warnings of springs deter you. Stay away from the edges where small runs and seeps enter, there are plenty of them, many of them are visible, some are not. Hunters can be very hot, or very cold, but there are some nice fish to be had. I'm thinking the state record pickerel will be pulled from here in the near future. As for springs, I have never had trouble away from shore, but I spud, spud,spud. Go get em!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.