Author Topic: "Traveling Shack"  (Read 20964 times)

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
Re: "Traveling Shack"
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:14 PM »
i must say that after reading this you have made me deside to go out and build me a little shanty so i thank you the old lady well lets just say i dont think you two should meet any time soon lol

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:21 PM »
LOL

Hope yours is a great build VT, I'll be looking for the build thread.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Glad to hear it's working out so well.
Post some pictures of it in action!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:17 PM »
Here you go MaineDog!

Heres the first outing, on Lake W.

2-3 inches of THIN ICE!!  (yep thats open water out there)

Ice under there finally!

Second outing was on Lake G.

2nd day there

1st day there

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2012, 12:23 AM »
with ice that thin...why lug the gas auger...4 inches is easy breezy with a hand auger and it's lighter to pull

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2012, 12:36 AM »
with ice that thin...why lug the gas auger...4 inches is easy breezy with a hand auger and it's lighter to pull

There were thicker spots, like 7 inches in places, or I wouldve just used the chipper. The Jiffy fits right in the JetSled though.

I dont have a hand auger, but Id like to get one eventually. (the Strikemaster Mora seems like a good choice)

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2012, 06:32 PM »
3rd outing for the Toaster was the weekend Wassookeag derby. SKUNKED SAT & SUN! The temps were 45 below with the wind chill. The wind was strong and absolutely BRUTAL! Ice had completely broken up and refroze in a mess of uneven chunks at the launch, and it cracked one of the ski tips of the shack. (needs extra support)

Setting up before sunrise

Sunrise

Friggin chilly on Sunday!!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Back to good ole Lake W.

Put my trusty and insanely heavy 4x8 out (foreground), and the Toaster is way back in the background.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #38 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:52 PM »
You have a couple real nice permies! I once made a light one, size-wise in-between your pair and I bet it was almost as light as your toaster!!. About 4'x6.5'. On skis like yours but with minor differences. I'll try to explain if we ever meet up.

Word to the wise tho, don't leave it out with ANY wind in the forecast. Being's it's as narrow but as tall as it is, there's some leverage disadvantages possibilities going on. Resist the temptation of anchoring from the bottom in close to the skis. Instead, sling ropes over the top, or put some eye bolts up high and tie off with a good spread off the 4 corners. As close to a 45 degree angle as you can stand................. ...

Don't ask me how I know...  ;)2

Enjoy it though! They're all fun!  'Till Mother Nature stomps on 'em!  :o
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:34 PM »
Thanks NE!

Yeah the toaster has eyehooks to tie it down up high just like my 4x8. I was just fishing different lakes by day (not roping it down) and trucking it home every night, but I use it for fishing different areas on my home lake too so I parked it there for the week.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:08 PM »
how does it handle snow? started thinking about a portible hardside earlier today, and then i found this post, thnx for the great ideas!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:10 PM »
how does it handle snow? started thinking about a portible hardside earlier today, and then i found this post, thnx for the great ideas!

Well we havent got much snow this year oddly enough, but it pulls ok by hand in the snow. (no wheeler/snomobile) Much MUCH lighter than my 4x8! Dragged it about a mile round trip today in some snow.

Glad my build helped you out.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:36 PM »
Outing #4

Smelled like SKUNK on Long Pond...... But it was a real nice day to pretend to fish!

(sporting my new free Clam stickers too)

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 05, 2012, 11:41 PM »
Outing #4

Smelled like SKUNK on Long Pond...... But it was a real nice day to pretend to fish!

(sporting my new free Clam stickers too)

(Image removed from quote.)
And you didn't even catch any pretend fish? lol

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:13 PM »
And you didn't even catch any pretend fish? lol

Just my jumbo shiners.......

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 24, 2012, 06:42 AM »
Pulled the heavy 4x8 off the lake on the last cold morning before the 5 day 40 plus degree stretch with rain. Got it done early so I didnt have to get wet for the 3rd year in a row..... Having the ultra light Toaster to use out there also made that decision easier. I can get another week (at least) of fishing comfort by fishing out of the ultra light before it will need to come home.

Dragged the Toaster about a mile (by hand as always) to the other side of a wide cove (those pine trees over there), and nestled in between the old pressure ridges.

Ice was good where we were though, and we kept a good distance away from the questionable areas. Im standing on 13 inches  of ice with 6 inches of water underneath. The shack is over 8 feet of water just off the underwater point.

Keeping toasty warm with the Mr Heater/Cooker. Not hard when its 40 degrees.. heh.

Found some fallfish looking to enjoy the warmth.

And some small pickerel were all around the shallows at the point.

Offline panfishinpat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:56 PM »
nice lookin shack.  makes me want to go dumpster divin this year and see what i come up with.  i love that it is so light..my wive and 3kids always go so it would have to be a tad bigger..  thanks for the pics 
Take your kids fishing. The memories will last them there lifetime

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 25, 2012, 08:34 AM »
nice lookin shack.  makes me want to go dumpster divin this year and see what i come up with.  i love that it is so light..my wive and 3kids always go so it would have to be a tad bigger..  thanks for the pics 

Thanks for the reply PFP.

This design could possibly be made as a 6x8, and maybe be light enough to pull by hand. Dunno. The key is the paper thin aluminum for this one. You could run the foam board around all 4 sides though, which would keep the weight down alot. Maybe cover the walls in coroplast too afterwards for durability.

Good luck with your project!

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: Mar 03, 2012, 03:04 PM »
Good job! that little rig looks pretty slick!
Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 03, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Good job! that little rig looks pretty slick!

Thanks Skidoo!

Its been working out pretty good all winter. She has seen some miles and has been put to the test in the last month. Heh

Today in the deeper snow and slush she dragged a bit hard though, glad I was only going off shore 200 feet.

Gotta post up my season evaluation and modification list soon.

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: Mar 03, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Yeah, it looks like it's holding up pretty well. I'd be interested if you find anything you might do different. After reading your build, I'm pretty interested in building something similar for next year. I really like the Idea of having one thats easy to move by myself if need be.

Registered Maine Guide

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 03, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Yeah, it looks like it's holding up pretty well. I'd be interested if you find anything you might do different. After reading your build, I'm pretty interested in building something similar for next year. I really like the Idea of having one thats easy to move by myself if need be.

Well first thing I would do different is get it higher off the ground.

A tad too low for deep snow. LOL

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 04, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Hey AT -

That was what I thought of my white shack....I think if I make another light weight one, I'm going to
make some skis that are easily removable or some sort of towing sled for it.....
I like having the floor close to the ice though...cuts down drafts and makes it easier to
fish...

Look forward to hearing your other "improvements."

MD

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #53 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:42 AM »
A friend of mine has one about that size, and he cut the middle chunk out of an old 8' plastic truck bed liner, and screwed it to the bottom and wrapped it up over the front. seemed to help big time in the deeper snow as it kept the floor joists from filling up. It would work better we found if it could possibly be angled up in the front somehow, as to keep it from plowing better.

Just an I dea that kinda worked, maybe spawn a future idea for someone on here.

Registered Maine Guide

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:28 AM »
Hey AT -

That was what I thought of my white shack....I think if I make another light weight one, I'm going to
make some skis that are easily removable or some sort of towing sled for it.....
I like having the floor close to the ice though...cuts down drafts and makes it easier to
fish...

Look forward to hearing your other "improvements."

MD

Yeah that was my thinking too MD, closer to the ice for less wind. I figured pulling it in deep snow would lead to it plowing at times, but that wet sticky snow/slush on Saturday made it even worse.

Usually there is a snowmobile track to pull it along to make things much easier, but there havent been many out on the lake lately.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:39 AM »
A friend of mine has one about that size, and he cut the middle chunk out of an old 8' plastic truck bed liner, and screwed it to the bottom and wrapped it up over the front. seemed to help big time in the deeper snow as it kept the floor joists from filling up. It would work better we found if it could possibly be angled up in the front somehow, as to keep it from plowing better.

Just an I dea that kinda worked, maybe spawn a future idea for someone on here.

That was an idea I thought of for my 4x8 last year Skidoo. I envisioned making a removable aluminum "hydrofoil" type of deal that slid onto the front of the skis to let it ride up on top of the snow when moving. This would also pack down the snow to create a nice trail for the back half too.

Im still working out the idea to put to use for next winter. Im thinking a roll up kids sled would work well as the hydrofoil.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:43 AM »
Yeah that was my thinking too MD, closer to the ice for less wind. I figured pulling it in deep snow would lead to it plowing at times, but that wet sticky snow/slush on Saturday made it even worse.

Usually there is a snowmobile track to pull it along to make things much easier, but there havent been many out on the lake lately.

You've got me thinking as well, not a huge fan of the tents either.  How about one that fits inside the dimensions of a otter sled or something, set it on the when to spot, then use sled to set up?  Also Bout Time, how does the foam board hold up when travelling down the road in the truck?  Thank you.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:07 AM »
You've got me thinking as well, not a huge fan of the tents either.  How about one that fits inside the dimensions of a otter sled or something, set it on the when to spot, then use sled to set up?  Also Bout Time, how does the foam board hold up when travelling down the road in the truck?  Thank you.

I originally had an idea to build a one man windbreak/hut on my jetsled, but scrapped the idea for now. I will probably revisit that build this summer.

The foam board has held up fine in the truck GF. We have been all over central Maine with it in the last 2 months, and there have been no issues with it while hauling. The 2wd S-10 hauls it very well, even in snow and wind. I was surprised at how good it worked out. Scraping tree branches have been a problem though, and Ive had to duct tape over some good sized gashes in the foam board. LOL A final layer of coroplast would be much better for protection.

Also I have the jetsled/auger/folding chairs/buckets inside during transport, and there are some cuts and gashes inside on the walls from stuff banging around. I try to pack the stuff in there as well planned as I can now. (worked for United Van Lines so its all about the packing)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:15 AM »
I originally had an idea to build a one man windbreak/hut on my jetsled, but scrapped the idea for now. I will probably revisit that build this summer.

The foam board has held up fine in the truck GF. We have been all over central Maine with it in the last 2 months, and there have been no issues with it while hauling. The 2wd S-10 hauls it very well, even in snow and wind. I was surprised at how good it worked out. Scraping tree branches have been a problem though, and Ive had to duct tape over some good sized gashes in the foam board. LOL A final layer of coroplast would be much better for protection.

Also I have the jetsled/auger/folding chairs/buckets inside during transport, and there are some cuts and gashes inside on the walls from stuff banging around. I try to pack the stuff in there as well planned as I can now. (worked for United Van Lines so its all about the packing)

Thanks, even that much luan would add considerably to the weight, just what you are trying to keep down.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:36 AM »
Thanks, even that much luan would add considerably to the weight, just what you are trying to keep down.

Yeah the low weight was my 1st goal GF, and then build a fishable unit from that platform with some creature comforts 2nd.

If I had used 3/4 or 1" foam board it probably wouldve been a tad more sturdy, but the half inch was all the discount place had. Still wouldnt help with getting gashed on stuff though. Covering the foam with coroplast looks to be the way to go with this design.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.