Author Topic: "Traveling Shack"  (Read 20962 times)

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
"Traveling Shack"
« on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Well I always had a plan to have 3 hardsides, one large max comfort sleeping shack built on a trailer frame with wheels (some day), my trusty 4x8 that has served me well, and a bare bones light traveling shack to hit different spots. The goal is to keep it under 75 pounds in weight. (100lbs would be the limit though)

Heres the beginning of the 40"x76" "traveling shack". My plan was to keep it light enough to be easily mobile, and load in the back of a pickup. Any pickup. (this one is designed for an S-10) I had a design that would use waterproof fabric on the long walls at first, but couldnt easily/cheaply get my hands on the stuff I had envisioned, and had wondered how many years it could last. Next was to use coroplast on the long walls, but again I hit the same problem of finding 4x8 sheets cheap and close to home. I still want to develop these 2 ideas into a "micro shack" at a later date though, because I just want to see them come together in a ultra-light project that will function out on the ice.

Anyways, I found some 4x8 sheets of half inch foil backed foam board that will now become my long walls at no weight gain. The structural integrity of the foam board is questionable, but Im going to give it my best shot at working. The foam will be screwed to the wood frame with plastic washers cut out of old 5qt oil jugs. The studs are (mostly) 1 1/2 x 2" with 3 quarter pine top and bottom plates ripped to 2" wide. The studs (mostly) came from an old 1960s camper. The height of the walls is 5ft 9.5", which is short for me but oh well, it will be ok once sitting on my 6 gal bucket. (no benches inside)

The floor is made of 10" pine boards planed down to 9/16ths, that I re-used from a camp demolition project I did. The runners under the long wall are 2x8s with weight reducing trimming and hole drilling, and old cross country skis are screwed to the bottom of them after some sculpting to accept the contour of the top of the skis. This is all painted with no slip garage floor paint. This was a bad idea with sand in it, but I wiped the pieces down when almost dry and got alot of the sand off.  Estimated weight of the floor is at 35lbs, and thats rounding up.

The door is the 22" wide aluminum one from the 60s camper and pretty light once stripped out of the extras.

Next steps are to locate a hunk of unscratched plexi to replace my last window pane I broke... to finish making the last long wall. Then fit and attatch the foam board after painting it flat black. Then straighten up my ultra thin aluminum for the end walls and get it cut/pop riveted and fit into place, it will wrap around the foam board a few inches to get a good weather resistant finish at the outside corners. The roof will also be light aluminum, but not as light as the end wall stuff.

Will post more pics as I go along.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Yukon Yahoo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: "Traveling Shack"
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Very nice.

I am finalizing my "traveling shack" as well and I really like the look of yours so far. I plan on doing a light 5 x 10 or 6 x 9 shack with only the floor and 8 inch sidewalls being wood. The poles are 1 inch sch. 40 aluminum, the walls are packcloth with 300wt. thinsulate sew in (I have an indusrtial sewing machine) I am shooting for 125lbs.

keep the photos of your build coming....
there are only two seasons up here: winter and construction

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Thanks YY, and I will get going on it again tomorrow. (football sunday)

Yours sounds cool, got a build thread going with pics?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2011, 01:27 PM »
why not just pick up a used 1 man clam or something along those lines? easier to load and unload, no labor building it, ect? I keep my 1 man clam in the back of my truck all winter...
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2011, 01:30 PM »
I love building stuff to be honest, and I love fabricating new inventions.

Plus, I dont really care for the tent style.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2011, 01:35 PM »
I love building stuff to be honest, and I love fabricating new inventions.

Plus, I dont really care for the tent style.

building shacks is a blast. I dont like the tent style either but the flip over sled types are nice.....Good luck!
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2011, 01:40 PM »
Thanks TL.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:04 AM »
Finally got some more work done on the traveling shack...

Got it put together except the roof aluminum, and a few more blue plastic washers, which Im hoping gets done within the next couple days. The blue washers are cut from a horse feed tray of some kind with a modified hole saw, and are about 3/16ths thick. The oil jug plastic I had planned on using was way too flimsey.

The horizontal joint between the foam boards are taped with Gorilla tape, which may not hold up. (wasnt completely dry) I put the leftover foam board pieces into the end walls with a healthy dose of expanding foam so its insulated in the 4 walls with half inch foil faced foamboard. Gotta fab up some rod racks for the inside, although there aint room for much in there. LOL

Also experimented with expanding foam with sheet plastic laid on top of the expanding foam under the floor, but I need more cans of foam to really do it right. Sat in there tonight with the Mr Heater/Cooker on high, and it was too warm in 90 seconds. I think once the roof is attatched and tight the thing will be a toaster. (kinda looks like one inside too)

So far, its well under 100lbs with the roof aluminum sitting on top un-attatched, and slides in the 2 inches of snow great. Deep snow may be a different story (plowing), but I think it will function well regardless.

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2011, 05:00 AM »
Bout-time ,
  Looks great ! Will keep you warm for sure ! I just picked up a rod rack at cabelas for $9.00 pretty nice holds 6 rods and you can get a ceiling or a wall mount . Put it up on my ceiling looks nice and works great . Liked it so much I went back and got 2 more to store all my rods in the garage for open water .
---- Joe ----

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:47 AM »
Thanks JD.

Im going to use PVC to make up a 5 rod rack, if all goes to plan. (so far not much has)

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:05 AM »
Oh, and this shack is dubbed "The Toaster".

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2011, 10:42 PM »
very nice i too am a big fan of build it dont buy it hey i may just have to put that on my next shack sorry any way um ya so i am just wondering why it is that every one these days just wants to buy a shack i say lets take some pride in what we do and build a shack that you can pass on to your kids

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2011, 12:04 PM »
very nice i too am a big fan of build it dont buy it hey i may just have to put that on my next shack sorry any way um ya so i am just wondering why it is that every one these days just wants to buy a shack i say lets take some pride in what we do and build a shack that you can pass on to your kids

Thanks VT.

Im assuming those people that buy rather than build fit into a few categories such as,

A. They have more expendable cash than I do
B. They dont have the time or skill to fabricate such things
C. They dont get to dumpster dive and salvage stuff (FREE STUFF)
D. They dont have a decent means of transporting a hardside
E. All of the above

To each his own, whatever gets you out on the ice easiest and is functional is a good choice.

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2011, 08:42 PM »
lol i am guessing b and c because i didnt spend crap on mine and you can always find a buddy to help you move it that is if they want to fish in it lol

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2011, 08:56 PM »
True on the buddy help! Heh

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:14 PM »
the hard side shanty with good transportation is the easiest and most mobile even over a flipover.  cant wait to use mine this year.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Cant wait to get this one out there too S10, it should be very mobile.

My 4x8 (300lbs) is parked on one lake on one point all winter, so this one will be good to be able to move around more. If I had a snowmobile Id move the 4x8 more, but ...... Oh well, the fish are always there at the spot (point) Im on every year so Im always catching fish.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2012, 01:17 PM »
Ok, the Traveling Shack is just about finished. So is the snow I guess.... The roof is done and water tight  (Its going to leak in the door though..) and the reflective tape is applied. I gotta finish my name stencil for the door and shes ready for 4 inches of ice.

Im confident I am UNDER my target weight of 75 pounds, but at the very most its in the 80-85lb range. GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!!

I added a 5 rod rack inside, with a rod holder underneath if I gotta run outside for a flag. The rack is made from sink drain pipe (lighter than PVC) screwed to a thin piece of paneling, and the holder is made from a broken slingshot I found.

Im also going to make another jingle reel for this shack too. The pic is the one I just made for my trusty 4x8, and has a 13" arm to reach the jig hole. The one for the Traveling Shack will need to be shorter at the arm, like in the 7"- 8" range.

Im sure there will be more mods to this at a later date, but shes good to go as is right now.

Thanks for following/commenting.

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:08 PM »
very nice i like the broken sling shot trick i looks like it should work really well

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:04 PM »
very nice i like the broken sling shot trick i looks like it should work really well

Thanks VT, yeah it seems to do its job real well. I wrapped the arms with heavy black thread to cushion the rod while sitting in the cradle.

I saw it laying in a junk pile and saw the part where the rubber hose hooks on and thought, "hey that would hold a rod if mounted upside down!" Im always scouting junk piles for treasures that I can turn into useful stuff.

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:10 PM »
Bout time maybe you can try and put a small piece of bent coil stock over the door to keep the drips out.
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Bout time maybe you can try and put a small piece of bent coil stock over the door to keep the drips out.

Hey thanks for the suggestion OLC, but Im not sure what bent coil stock is? LOL

I was thinking pop riveting a piece of alum L with caulking underneath it to let the drips go beyond the hinges... dunno. I'll check out coil stock is and see what I can do.

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Hey thanks for the suggestion OLC, but Im not sure what bent coil stock is? LOL

It's usually used for around windows,facias,soffits. It's a sheet of rolled aluminum. If you know any roofer he or she should have some lying around.
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:19 PM »
It's usually used for around windows,facias,soffits. It's a sheet of rolled aluminum. If you know any roofer he or she should have some lying around.

Ahhh Ok, I know what you mean now. Thanks

I have a small pile of extra alum left over anyways, so I can make something out of a scrap piece and rivet it on there... Or.... I just remembered I have some alum drip edge from over the windows on the 60s camper I sacrificed.

Now where did I put it.. hmmmm....

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Awesome job very impressive!  I like the under 100 lbs part should be very easily moved. Some of the bigger insulated 2 man flip overs need both guys just to load them in th back of a pickup!  I think I could tip that one it myself...good idea!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Awesome job very impressive!  I like the under 100 lbs part should be very easily moved. Some of the bigger insulated 2 man flip overs need both guys just to load them in th back of a pickup!  I think I could tip that one it myself...good idea!

Thanks PB98!

My 8 year old grandson can pick the end up a foot off the ground, so its easily moved for sure. LOL

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:07 PM »
You might need to anchor that down in a breeze.  Also, be careful stepping into/out of it on glare ice/packed snow.
The shack will have a tendency to move as you do so....don't ask me how I know....

MD

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:41 AM »
You might need to anchor that down in a breeze.  Also, be careful stepping into/out of it on glare ice/packed snow.
The shack will have a tendency to move as you do so....don't ask me how I know....

MD

Thanks for the reply MaineDog.

Yeah I have hooks in place to hook it down, I figured it would want to move alot on glare ice. (and wind) I may just truck it home after every use, but Id like to leave it out once in awhile for less hassle.

Gotta test run it a few times to see how it goes.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:07 PM »
Well the Traveling Toaster has made 2 trips to the ice. (pics will be coming, my computer is fried)

First trip out was on 2-3 inches of ice and it performed great. Unfortunately I put my hand through one of the glass windows as soon as we got in place.... Had to swap out the broken glass for plexi that night. Also added a shelf for my coffee cup and doo-dads, and a skinny basket shelf up high to store other crap.

The second trip (today) was perfect, and I caught a 15.5 inch brookie to boot!!   It does slide/move a bit getting in and out when not tied down, but it sticks to the ice after a little while. WARM!! Aint she warm!!! Just enough room for 2 people to get pretty comfy. Slides like butter and is light as a feather and loads in the s-10 easy, I love this thing.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:22 PM »
You're supposed to love it....you built it for yourself.   One of the major if not the only reason to do it.  Have fun and be safe out there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.