Author Topic: Good spots in Fort Wayne?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline daugh09

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish on!! .... jiggin em and slayin em!
Good spots in Fort Wayne?
« on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:51 AM »
Grew up ice fishing on the Warsaw area lakes like chapman, winona, barbee and webster.  But...I currently live in Fort Wayne and been wanting to find some good spots to ice fish up here.  Any information will help and I'm always up for meeting up with fellow hard water lovers and buddy fishing.....that is when the ice gets here lol the weather is teasing us dang it! 

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
Re: Good spots in Fort Wayne?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:03 AM »
Most of the guys that I know from the Fort head west or north.  I cant really speak for any ponds in the area, Blue Lake outside of 'Busco wouldnt be that far away.

Offline Skinnybenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasin' Only Monsters,Catchin' Only Bait
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:56 AM »
What You wanting to Fish For>????
Give a man a Fish,Feed him for a day:Teach Him to Fish And He will Be Preoccupied the rest of his Life

Offline renzettimaster85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2011, 02:04 PM »
GO BACK HOME!!!...no seriously... unless you find a private pond or stocked sub-division pond or lake fishing in Fort Wayne or Allen County for that matter sucks so...You'd be better off going back home to the waters you know or going north to James, Clear, George, Snow, Marsh, Hamilton,or Pretty. Just to name a few and all of these lakes are publicly accessable and have great fishing from Bluegill and Crappie to Bass, Trout, and Northerns. Good luck! Down to weeks away from hard ice. 

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2011, 02:22 PM »
Just private ponds and the rest of the time I am traveling north or northwest like Rico said.
Fish on!

Offline Skinnybenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasin' Only Monsters,Catchin' Only Bait
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2011, 03:02 PM »
Go north To lake James north of you
Give a man a Fish,Feed him for a day:Teach Him to Fish And He will Be Preoccupied the rest of his Life

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Huntington and Salamonie reservoirs been good the last few years for crappie.     Teardrop

Offline daugh09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:02 AM »
fishing for gills and crappie, I never got into the whole tip-up scene for northern but wouldnt mind trying someday and looks like I might stick with the lakes I know and I also might try lake james and possibly blue lake in busco other than that if anybody is going out around fort wayne or headed north from fort wayne I'm always up to go

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2011, 03:29 AM »
Havin lived here all my life, finding good places to fish w consistency in the area around the Fort is somewhat difficult. Most subdivisions will not allow a person to fish in there mudholes, to afraid of the liability and don't trust that people will leave it as they found it(no trash/clutter etc). St Francis college used to allow peop's to fish and that is what happened there, as well as a couple of the additions out in Aboite area. We used to catch some big gills, 9"-11", and 5lb+ bass. It only took a few to destroy :'( what many enjoyed.Tried to get on the ponds in the parks within the city limits, found out that there is an ordinance disallowing such activity on city properties :(. Best as the rest have said is to head northwest to the lakes to fish. Blue, Everett, are fished hard both summer and winter. There are alot of smaller lakes within 30 miles nw of the Fort, but w the increase of interest in fishing, those lakes that I seldom seen another person on yrs ago are now, on some days, packed w peop,s looking for a new hotspot.
Friends were talking about a lake last ice season that when the fish started biting, guys got on there cells and called thier buds. Within a couple of hrs there were approx 70 peop's trying to fish a small area, and the conentrated weight caused the ice to start sinking to the point there was 4"6" of water on the ice. Never been one to crowd anothers spot. Huntington/Salamonie can be good, but are so large that finding fish can be difficult. Was down there last year started catching fish and within in a half hour had 9 guys within 20' of me drilling holes and dropping lines. Was waiting for them to cut a complete circle around me.Uh oh, there I go rambling again. Hope this gives you some insight into the area around the Fort.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:59 AM »
I lived in Warren for several years.  Huntington and Salamonie were never on my list to icefish.  Although there is a small lake on the Huntington Reservoir property that the locals refer to as "Simpson Pond", I fished it quite a bit when I lived down that way.  If you lived on the South Side of the Fort, it would be relatively close.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:15 AM »
there is more water north of you than you could fish in ten years! stick around this site and you will get on some great waters over here.

welcome to the shanty too!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Was down there last year started catching fish and within in a half hour had 9 guys within 20' of me drilling holes and dropping lines. Was waiting for them to cut a complete circle around me.Uh oh, there I go rambling again. Hope this gives you some insight into the area around the Fort.

That is the main reason i own a shanty. I never reel a fish up with the shack flipped back.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2011, 02:44 PM »
there is more water north of you than you could fish in ten years! stick around this site and you will get on some great waters over here.

welcome to the shanty too!

Tim, he lives in the Fort......said he grew up fishing the Warsaw area.  I think he was just wanting to really know what was in the immediate area.  Unfortunately, not alot. 

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2011, 03:34 PM »
Im from huntington. Ive fished simpson pond several times. Kind of a long walk to the pond from the parkin area. Got a question for you guys in my area. Where are you getting on on salamonie and hunstington reservoirs? I never see anyone because they are so big and am unsure of where safe ice is so Ive never been to either for ice. Dont wanna be the only one out there unsure of safe ice.

Offline daugh09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2011, 03:32 AM »
I'm somewhat familiar with the angola area.  Went to college there for a year.  Buutttttt......never really got out to many of the lakes... I did happen to do a bunch of carp shootin lol

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Im from huntington. Ive fished simpson pond several times. Kind of a long walk to the pond from the parkin area. Got a question for you guys in my area. Where are you getting on on salamonie and hunstington reservoirs? I never see anyone because they are so big and am unsure of where safe ice is so Ive never been to either for ice. Dont wanna be the only one out there unsure of safe ice.

If I was you I would stick with Simpson Pond although I have heard river otters have attacked it.  I would not recommend Huntington Reservoir to anyone, very few guys ice fish it but when I lived down there I got on it from the small boat ramp on the south side.  Salamonie, can be active but really never thought that much of it either,  although my summer catches always seemed to get me back there in the winter.  I always got on at Lost Bridge West........off of SR 105.  Remember, they are reservoirs with flood gates.  Moving water and ice dont go hand in hand.

Offline caseihman06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2011, 05:27 PM »
I have fished the huntington reservoir before but have never done any good there. Salamonie reservoir on the other hand i have done great down there with the crappies and once in awhile you can get into some gills but not much size to them. But the down side to salamonie is that in the last 15 years that i have fished it my spots that i like to fish are always changing because they change the water table so much. I used to do really good at monument island and the boat ramp down by lost bridge east but there is not much water in there during winter anymore. But off the 105 bridge and pirates cove have been good for me the last few years for crappie if you are up for a good walk and a good hike because at the 105 theres a good size hill to go up! 

Offline bammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Heart Attack Hill, used to be a couple guys tryin to collect for a escallater ther. Haha

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Heart Attack Hill, used to be a couple guys tryin to collect for a escallater ther. Haha

It is a killer!

Offline imob34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:40 AM »
look up Everett Lake, alot of people talk bad about it but it has nice crappie and ok gills and if you just want action some days you cant get away from the small bass.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.