The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Google Earth Bathymetric/Contour Maps  (Read 36615 times)

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Google Earth Bathymetric/Contour Maps
« Reply #30 on: Dec 15, 2011, 03:05 PM »
Very easy, looking in Goolge in 5 minutes or less. Thank You

Offline DaileyMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:03 PM »
Thanks, it's a good deal, was hoping Dailey was on it, but all the A-B lakes will help this summer.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:55 PM »
I got her going.  No need to unzip or anything on my end.  Maybe it's an apple thing.
Thank you
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline Anyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Wow.  Well thought out and great information!  Thanks for all that leg work!

Offline Ericsrox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:43 PM »
I can't PM yet, i'm just starting out so would someone please send me the kml file.
email [email protected]
Thanks

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2011, 08:04 AM »
Kml sent. Also, just friendly reminder that I "NEED" an email to send it and not just a PM asking to send it.  Thanks!

FYI...Tricks and Tips:  If you have a handheld gps, you can mark the bathymetric in Google Earth(GE) and find the coordinates. Then put the coordinates into the handheld gps.

Ex: Nevada Lake/Reservoir

1) On the "Toolbar" in GE there is a Yellow Sticky Pin ("New Placemark"). Select it and you will be able to move the Yellow Sticky Pin, thus showing you your Lat/Long.

2)Zoom-in close to the bathymetric line and drag the sticky onto the line.  In the "New Placemarker Dialog Box" you will find the Lat/Long and other options; name, color, size, etc.

3) Write down the Lat/Long and give it a name...in this case it's 55ft.

4) Continue marking the bathymetric until satisfy along with writing down the Lat/Long coordinates

Now you have GPS coordinates of the depths along with a hard copy map you can reference too.  *** I also like to put a grid of the  Lat/Long to go along with the map if appliable (You can find this in "VIEW => GRID")

*** If you made a mistake, via, name spell wrong, misplace marker, Resizing Text, JUST RIGHT-CLICK THE STICKY AND SELECT PROPERTIES, this will give you editing power again. ***

*I'm so hoping this all make sense and is helpful!!! LOL!!!"

Offline 3maggots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Works Great!  I will remember the cold smoke!    ;)

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Ok - This is awesome.  Thanks TooLucky406.

Now you can convert the .kml file in google earth to a .gdb file.  This will allow you to open it up in Garmin BaseCamp and view the contour lines of the lake directly on your GPS. 

Here is how I did it.  I downloaded GPSBabel off the internet.  It's an easy to use program.  It asks for an input format (Google Maps XML) and an output (Garmin Mapsource - gbd).  Put it in the folder (file name) you want and click apply.

Now open BaseCamp and import that file.

Or......maybe -

Since I am on my computer at work and don't have one at home I can email the gbd file to TooLucky406 and he can send out both the kml and gbd files to people who want them.

I will email it to him, but since I am basically giving someone else more work to do without asking (sorry toolucky406) it will be at his discretion if he wants to do it.  Otherwise follow the above instruction. 

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:16 PM »
MT Members,

I am looking at a secondary host site for all the data right now. So as of right now please follow Riverb8 instructions for converting the kml to the .gdb file.  Thanks!

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:39 PM »
TooLucky406,

I was reading my post and think I stepped over my bounds by throwing your name out there without asking.

Sorry.

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:50 PM »
Maybe I spoke to fast on how well the kml to gpd file conversion works.  On my BaseCamp I am only able to see the contours when I am using the MT_PLAT4GPS as my base map.  This is the one that shows land ownership.  Otherwise I can't get it to show up.  Maybe someone who is not a novice at this stuff can make it work better.

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 17, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Love the ability to use the maps on Google Earth to add points in my gps.  On the other hand, I'm really sad there aren't maps for the Helena reservoirs.  I can't find a Hauser map for the life of me.  The whole unpack/upload process was a cinch. 

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:24 AM »
Makes me feel diabolical.  Thank You so much. >:D >:D
wish you many hook-ups

Offline iceflippin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2012, 12:18 PM »
Has anybody else mastered converting the .klm file to .gdb and then uploading it to their GPS?

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:38 PM »
@ iceflippin

Haven't had time to do the conversion from kml to gdb. But here's a link that might get you closer.  It's a lot of work (as you will see in the link), but very doable if you have the time.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~creek/garmin.htm

Offline rtrvler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:56 AM »
Thank you,TooLucky406, I can not believe how many smaller lakes that are contoured and then some that you think should be are not. What a cool deal and easy to do even for an old man like me. Thanks again.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:06 AM »
I own an older (couple years) Garmin Legend GPS Handheld Unit. I have the additional Mapsource software on my pc, US Inland Lakes V3, Topo US 2008, and US Topo 24k National Parks , East V2. The Mapsource software is compatible with Google Earth -an add-on basically. Allows me to switch between 3 maps while looking at a waterbody, and a simple right click and Google Earth Map comes up , with my waypoints, routes etc. on it. I then use Snag it , a video/image capture program to copy the image so I can print it out on my printer. I can also add waypoints to the google earth maps and then transfer them to my Garmin Handheld. Great for finding and marking submergent weedlines etc. In addition the Garmin US Inland Lakes map also has cribs marked as waypoints on the unit when the map is loaded. Use the "GOTO" screen and unit will point ya to the crib or weedline etc.

Thank you,TooLucky406, I can not believe how many smaller lakes that are contoured and then some that you think should be are not. What a cool deal and easy to do even for an old man like me. Thanks again.
Seems to be the case with most mapping software, why this one and not my fav? If the waterbody I am researching has no contour lines provided thru US Inland Lakes V3, I switch to one of the 2 topo maps and can get an idea of how fast shorelines drop by looking at the adjacent topography. Better than nuttin. ;D

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:00 PM »
I used GPSBabel (www.gpsbabel.org/) to convert from KML to gpd.  Its a program and you have to download it and run the .exe file.

Alternatively you can use GPS Visualizer (http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/) which you don't have to download. 

With either program you select you input format as "google earth (keyhole) markup language" and you output file as "garmin mapsource - gdb"

If this is the only file you ever want to convert, I would use the gpsvisualizer.

Then I import it into base camp.  - The elevations don't match exactly like the kml file but it should work.

Offline ToadWhisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Apr 08, 2012, 10:36 AM »
Got it, thanks TooLucky! Installed easy and works great.

Offline fortybelow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Apr 14, 2012, 10:01 AM »
I opened my .kmz's yesterday and it was so simple. Thanks so much!

Offline larbhills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 04, 2012, 02:00 PM »
I guess I don't have enough posts to PM.  Can Toolucky406 PM me and I will reply with my email address?

Thanks!

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 04, 2012, 11:14 PM »
PM Sent!

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #52 on: Dec 05, 2012, 12:39 AM »
This is one rocking post! Thanks TooLucky for sharing your knowledge!

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #53 on: Dec 05, 2012, 06:59 AM »
Sweet!

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 05, 2012, 09:08 AM »
Fyi...if you would like the kml file for the bathymetric/contour, you will find the link in the first post along with direction how to download and install. I will no longer send it via email. If you have any questions, just PM me. Remember to scan the zip file for any viruses before opening it.

Offline Jason watts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 05, 2012, 02:19 PM »
Thanks for the info on the layering of ge maps.  I am from livingston and dont seem to find any lakes around my area with contours.  seems like most of them are in the western part of the state.  pretty cool though.  am surprised that some of the lakes that navionics has mapped are not mapped on this app. 

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Neat addition to GE too bad theres NOTHING for my lakes!SOME DAY!

Offline ci2019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:26 PM »
fyi.  For those with smartphones, the kml file open nicely in the Google Earth App as well.  At least on my android.  Don't have an iphone to test it.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Nice!

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:30 AM »
fish and game have updated the file and have included more lakes like Canyon Ferry.  I just dont know how to convert the file. 

http://fwp.mt.gov/gisData/metadata/lakesBathymetry.htm
http://fwp.mt.gov/gisData/shapefiles/lakesBathymetry.zip
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.