Author Topic: Humminbird Ice 45 Problem  (Read 18524 times)

Offline BluffCountry

• IceShanty Rookie
Humminbird Ice 45 Problem
« on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:15 PM »
I went out yesterday for the first time this year.  My flasher ran for about 5 minutes with no problems, then all of a sudden the flasher dial went blank and has never returned.  The lcd screen still shows the scale and depth.  I can't hear the spinning noise from the flasher at all, just the ticking noise from the transducer.  I tried a brand new battery with same results.

I've had it for just over 2 years (bought in summer 09) so have just exceeded the 2 yr warranty.  I've probably only used it 2 dozen times over the past two years.  Humminbird wants $112 (plus i have to ship it) to look/fix it...I'd rather not have this turn into a $500+ flasher if i don't HAVE to.

Any suggestions or troubleshooting advice?

Thanks!

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
Re: Humminbird Ice 45 Problem
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Buy  marcum.  Forget the birds.  Seriously I know a bunch of guys who have problems with H-b ird being less than fair with their warrantys my self included.  Not only are they an inferior ice product taey don't stand behind their product.   Pieces of crap if you ask me.......
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline BluffCountry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:00 PM »
In comparison...I'd rather not buy a new car just because the tranny went out or whatever it is.  I'd can't cut my losses just yet.  I would just like to know if anyone has any DIY advice/troubleshooting or seen similar problems with these models.

I haven't had any problems with the unit until now, but this seems major for 2.5 yrs old. I've taken good care of it as well. My buddies mostly have vex and they are all 5+ yrs old and going strong.   Perhaps I should have gone with something else?

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:03 PM »
I read something about the interior mounting of the flasher dial itself being really weak. Flasher unit snapping off. Do a Search and you will find it, probabaly only a week or so old.(the post)

Offline BluffCountry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:05 PM »
Will do, thanks

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:13 PM »
I think jarhead had that same thing happen to him. Send him a pm and see what he did.

Offline BluffCountry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:46 PM »
PM Sent - thanks Chumster

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:20 PM »
IIRC my 45 did the same thing between seasons and I sent it back for warranty repair. I wish I had better advice but they did seem very willing to stand behind it, granted while under warranty. They confirmed it was the flasher dial that was bad. It works fine now but I think now that I know how to tune my X67 I may be a convert to a fishfinder.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:37 PM »
Happens alot im afraid.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:58 AM »

I've had it for just over 2 years (bought in summer 09) so have just exceeded the 2 yr warranty.  I've probably only used it 2 dozen times over the past two years.  Humminbird wants $112 (plus i have to ship it) to look/fix it...I'd rather not have this turn into a $500+ flasher if i don't HAVE to.

Thanks!

I understand problems come along with any kind or make of equipment but for them to charge you to fix what seems to be a known defect of these units, even if it is out of warranty, really sucks.

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2011, 06:12 AM »
Buy  marcum.  Forget the birds.  Seriously I know a bunch of guys who have problems with H-b ird being less than fair with their warrantys my self included.  Not only are they an inferior ice product taey don't stand behind their product.   Pieces of crap if you ask me.......

I am completly the oposite....had 2 Vex's that were crap....1 marcum that I returned because it didn't/wouldn't read bottom......

Vex did stand behind their warranty on both, but left a sour taste in my mouth. Of the two I had (Fl-8 and Fl-22) to me were both junk that didn't have enough power or something. The marcum was absolute junk (I think it was a Lx-3) and I had three other friends that were very unhappy with the marcums as well.

Then I bought my bird (ICE 45) and my life has changed for the better. No more tantrums on the ice, no more cursing at sky....no more frustration on the ice. It reads depths perfect, does not seem to die easily in cold weather.

Don't get me wrong, it has it's own set of problems compared to the others. The knobs are fragile....but Humminbird made correction of the newer models.

Have you dealt with Humminbird's customer service to be able to logically make a claim that they do not stand behind their warranty ? Isn't a two year warranty only good for two years....and not more than two years ? Doesn't Vex and Marcum have warranties along the same lines ? Do they fix problems for free after the warranty expires or do they make you pay for the service like all the others.......??
It's not about the fish.................. .

Offline HBirdDeborahCRC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:04 AM »
I went out yesterday for the first time this year.  My flasher ran for about 5 minutes with no problems, then all of a sudden the flasher dial went blank and has never returned.  The lcd screen still shows the scale and depth.  I can't hear the spinning noise from the flasher at all, just the ticking noise from the transducer.  I tried a brand new battery with same results.

Any suggestions or troubleshooting advice?

Thanks!

Bluff whats the serial number of your unit?   And when exactly did you purchase it ?

Thanks

Deborah @ Humminbird

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:16 AM »
 ::) Huh....did someone say they had terrible service ? Appears to not be the case......buy humminbird.....and buy forever.

Throw your little vexie away and step into the new generation of electronics. No use in using grandpa's old technology when a new generation is at your fingertips  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2011, 12:49 PM »
::)

Throw your little vexie away and step into the new generation of electronics. No use in using grandpa's old technology when a new generation is at your fingertips  ;D ;D ;D

It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2011, 01:00 PM »
::) Huh....did someone say they had terrible service ? Appears to not be the case......buy humminbird.....and buy forever.

Humminbird was contacted and obviously had no intention of helping the OP out.  Fortunately,  he posted the problem on a forum and kudo's to Deborah for stepping up and taking an interest in it.   

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:54 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)   (Image removed from quote.)

Sorry guys.....but you'all can raz on HB all you want, but the second someone has the opinion that Vexies are junk he is stirring the pot ? Stone age sonars are just that.....and vex has done nothing to improve their technology in quite a while. I know, the old saying, if it's broke don't fix it.....and frankly their technology is broke....and needs fixed.

I don't think I am stirring the pot at all....obviously my statement rubbed ice Dawg the wrong way. It is quite possible that his opinion of other sonars would rub me the wrong way as well......to each our own.

The age and generation gap between a lot of us outdoor lovers stems very opinionated ideas of what "good technology" is. My Grandpa always thought that his old winchester 70 was the best rifle ever built...and he would never change his mind about that. I believe that the Ruger 10/22 is the best .22 ever.....are either of us ever going to change eachothers mind....nope. He won't even look at my "newfangled" semi-auto gun. Different strokes for different folks.

It was claimed above that he made a "mistake" by purchasing a HB and not a vexie. So I read that as I too made a mistake by buying the unit. Criticism for HB typically comes from people who have never owned a HB sonar, but always seem to have a "buddy" who had one. As for myself, I have owned all 3 major brands of sonars and I will stick with HB......what makes me wrong on my opinion....and you right on yours. I stand by my opinion.......Humminbi rd makes the best sonars available for the cost.

As far as the warranty, I have always been under the impression that a 2 year warranty is a 2 year warranty. Not a 2 year and 2 months......nor a 2 year and 3 days warranty. When you buy a sonar you typically think, awesome....it has a two year warranty, but when that warranty is up and you need it it, is claimed that the company is ripping you off. He stated he bought the HB in the summer of 09, which to me means that the unit is actually 2 1/2 years old. We do not know the specifics to knowledgeably make a claim that the unit was just defective and HB should be responsible to fix it for free. No one does anything for free on an out of warranty product...nobody. Not Vex, Marcum or HB.....

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2011, 08:32 AM »

I don't think I am stirring the pot at all....obviously my statement rubbed ice Dawg the wrong way. It is quite possible that his opinion of other sonars would rub me the wrong way as well......to each our own.

Different strokes for different folks.

It was claimed above that he made a "mistake" by purchasing a HB and not a vexie. So I read that as I too made a mistake by buying the unit.

You said you had two Vexilars that were crap and a Marcum that you sent back. I have had a Micronar FL8, Vex FL18 and an LX5 which have all worked very well for me. So now two  of us have talked about six units in total. How about the hundreds of thousands of other Vex and Marcum owners out there? I read a thread about a HB Ice 45 and ended up reading about how Vexilars and Marcums are crap because you don't like them. Amazing how you know more than the people that design sonar units do. I'm not going to get into badmouthing HB units even though I did quite a bit of research on them last fall before buying an LX5 for reasons of my own after talking to people that have owned them and those that sell them.  By reading your posts I'm supposed to believe it is a mistake to own a Vex or Marcum? Kind of like a person that states that all Jiffys are junk because he had a lemon. The only problem I ever had with a Jiffy was a bad clutch spring which was fixed by Jiffy for free when the auger was three years out of warranty. I guess there are two opinoins here and mine is still .........

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:20 AM »
 ;D..Don't worry IceDawg, I made the same mistake of buying those units as well.. ;D

Wait a minute.....who doesn't like a jiffy ? Comparing the warranty on sonars compared to augers is completely different. I had John Deere fix my 25 year old tractor for free last year because there was a known problem with the starter years ago....and I bought the tractor used. Again.....apples and oranges.

I don't dislike Vexies or Marcums, in fact my Marcum 620 is the absolute best camera (in my opinion) that you could ever buy. Just don't think Vex or Marcum are the "elite" makers of sonars anymore. There are new kids in town now.....

I still have my Fl-22.....but the Fl-8 and LX3 had to go.....will not get rid of my Fl-22.....I did get a few good lessons from Grandpa......

To each their own....and I wil leave it at this : "Having a sonar of any kind is better than having no sonar".

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:24 AM »
  I read a thread about a HB Ice 45 and ended up reading about how Vexilars and Marcums are crap because you don't like them. Amazing how you know more than the people that design sonar units do.

You need to go back and re-read what I wrote on the other thread.....anyways...h ere it is word for word. Sheesh, I hope your not this stuffy on the ice. Not bashing vexies, just poking the vexers ! Friendly little jab  :roflmao:

"Yep...200'. The ice 35 is a very nice unit.....not a ton different from the top of the line 55. Very user friendly....just keep it away from Vexie users.....they will claim it's defective cause it don't rattle around on the ice  ;D....

No matter what sonar you get.....any of them is better than not having one at all."

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:33 AM »
So......... I guess the question is did Deb figure anything out, is it fixed or was someone just messing around?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:05 AM »
;D..Don't worry IceDawg, I made the same mistake of buying those units as well.. ;D

Wait a minute.....who doesn't like a jiffy ? Comparing the warranty on sonars compared to augers is completely different. I had John Deere fix my 25 year old tractor for free last year because there was a known problem with the starter years ago....and I bought the tractor used. Again.....apples and oranges.

I don't dislike Vexies or Marcums, in fact my Marcum 620 is the absolute best camera (in my opinion) that you could ever buy. Just don't think Vex or Marcum are the "elite" makers of sonars anymore. There are new kids in town now.....

I still have my Fl-22.....but the Fl-8 and LX3 had to go.....will not get rid of my Fl-22.....I did get a few good lessons from Grandpa......

To each their own....and I wil leave it at this : "Having a sonar of any kind is better than having no sonar".
All I'm really saying is I read a thread about one brand of sonar, ice auger or whatever, there is always someone that states "This other brand is junk because I don't like them.". Your opinion is yours and you are as entitled to it as I am to mine. As far as a brand of sonar being elite is concerned I don't think HB Ice 35,45 or 55 fit the bill. I'm not saying they aren't good, but they aren't what I prefer for reasons of my own. Give me a choice between an HB 55 and an LX5 or LX7 and I will own the Marcum. I have never seen a 35, 45 or 55 in use on the ice so I have formed my opinion by what I have read and heard. Kind of like people on here that read that Vexilar and Marcum units are no good because someone doesn't like them.

Someone can ask how Ice Gator owners like their augers and someone will get on the thread and state that Jiffys are junk because I had a bad one. It doesn't help the thread a bit.

If I run into you on the ice you will find I don't care if you have an HB or a lugnut on a string. Sit down and I'll drill ya a hole. You might even find that I'm close to your Grandpa's age and prefer a Marlin Lever for a 22 rifle.   But there again.....Opinions are like a$$holes.   ;)2

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:58 AM »
LOL....any day IceDawg, always willing to share a hole....and my sonar (wink..wink).

Your right.....everyone has opinions, some formed from others and some formed by use. It's nice to be able to go back and forth on these electronic threads without anyone getting their panties in a wad.....your a good sport IceDawg.

BTW....grandpa caught a lot of dinners with his Vexie.....part of my enjoyment in all this is poking fun at Vexers, just like I always did with dear old grandpa. He was always a good sport about it.....until I went Humminbird....now he won't even speak to me!  :woot:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:17 AM »
This is what some of us old coots do for entertainment. When I get spurred I enjoy doing a bit of spurrin back. I have even been invited out behind the cyber barn at times. When I started ice fishing my Dad had a piece of heavy solder that he would twist around his hook to set the bobber at the right depth and an axe to dig the hole. It's nice to have this new stuff and some ice pups around to carry on the tradition. How else would we convince our women that we're nuts???  ;D

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2011, 05:40 PM »
I have even been invited out behind the cyber barn at times.

LOL...I can tell you and I are going to get along just fine Ice Dawg........

Anyways...what the scoop on the repair ?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:39 PM »
LOL...I can tell you and I are going to get along just fine Ice Dawg........

Anyways...what the scoop on the repair ?
Everything I own is perfect with no need for repairs.  ;D

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:17 AM »
LOL....that's cause everything made back in the 30's was built to last..... ;D

Do your vexies still use the old hand crank ? Didn't figure that their technology could handle 12 volts, kinda like an old John Deere B..... :roflmao:

Any ice fishing going on in ND yet ? I think you need a day out of the house.....

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:55 AM »
My fl20 and LX3 does fine beside my fishing buds ice 35, only when you bring in another bird is there issues, WARNING if anyone you fish with has a humminbird don't buy another bird!  You cannot fish these units together, I do a ton of icefishing and its the same everytime with the birds nasty interference! and you can't get rid of it, you don't even have to be in the same shack within 20 yards and your not a happy camper.  That said the 35 is the best deal out there,  but don't let anybody tell you they can fish birds together they are lying!!!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline BluffCountry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Bluff whats the serial number of your unit?   And when exactly did you purchase it ?

Thanks

Deborah @ Humminbird

Hey Deborah - my serial # is 80813030003

I purchased Aug 21, 2009.  I'm planning on sending back in for repair.

I'm not trying to rip anyone off here or badmouth (HB).  It's a 2 yr warranty and obviously past that, nuff said.  The flasher has been great when working.  I was just looking for a less expensive fix or tip but doesn't sound like there is one.  I want to get it working again and back on the ice asap.  More time looking down a hole and less time looking at the computer :)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:24 PM »
LOL....that's cause everything made back in the 30's was built to last..... ;D

Do your vexies still use the old hand crank ? Didn't figure that their technology could handle 12 volts, kinda like an old John Deere B..... :roflmao:

Any ice fishing going on in ND yet ? I think you need a day out of the house.....
Jeez, now ya want me to go to North Dakota. Well, I can't find the crank for my Model T and it is forty miles to the border. Mind if I borrow yer Lear so I can go Mach 1 with my hair on fire? I might want to borrow yer flasher too in case I want to boil a bit of water while on the way.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Send me all the VEX'S you don't like,I could use a spare but then again they never break. I have a 10 yo Fl-8 and it works great,still have the original battery. I always charge after a days fishing and twice during the summer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.