Author Topic: wood for tip-ups  (Read 11246 times)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: wood for tip-ups
« Reply #30 on: Dec 23, 2011, 05:46 AM »
Go with a hardwood. I made mine homemade out of ash. Worked excellent..

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 23, 2011, 05:49 AM »
I'm going to try making some this year out of a few broken hockey sticks. Sher-Wood ice fishing gear!

Now that would be awesome.. Be sure to post pics

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:42 AM »
I used laminated ash to keep it from warping and gorilla glue, coated with outdoor poly.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:49 AM »
I used laminated ash to keep it from warping and gorilla glue, coated with outdoor poly.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Very classy with a sexy look. Nice work with excellent parts. :thumbsup:

My Teak ones were pretty basic and there was no Jack Trap or Heritage parts back then.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2011, 02:59 PM »
I made all my own parts, even the reels. Everything but the flag springs is stainless steel or aluminium with teflon washers. Flag springs are made from a drain snake and the flags are made from an old nylon windbreaker, triggers are Tig wire.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 25, 2011, 07:18 PM »
I made all my own parts, even the reels. Everything but the flag springs is stainless steel or aluminium with teflon washers. Flag springs are made from a drain snake and the flags are made from an old nylon windbreaker, triggers are Tig wire.

Oh come on CJG. It has nothing to do with who did better and everything to do with nice pictures.

I have great respect for any ice man who made his own gear and enjoys his invention. If we all look back 50 or 60 year there was not much we could do as compared to the stuff we have and can make today. I am not so sure we can even advance the technology but tip ups made in our own home work shops sure can be some pretty masterpieces.

We have guys who are machinists that machined their own reels and parts and guys who are carpenters/cabinetmakers who made their own wood parts and it is all good.

We may never build a better mouse trap but I sure do enjoy seeing the work we do.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 26, 2011, 11:10 AM »
Oh come on CJG. It has nothing to do with who did better and everything to do with nice pictures.

I'm just saying. It may have been implied that I used parts that I didn't make to build them, I didn't. By the way I'm an electronic tech by trade. As long as you are happy with what you have made for yourself is all that matters. I enjoy making my own stuff, tie my own flies, make my own flyrods, nets, reload bullets for hunting and anything else that I can do myself. Nothing against anyone who doesn't, that's just what works for me, part of the fun.

surflizard

« Reply #37 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:17 AM »
The Bowed cross bar frames and the Custom made parts really set those Trap apart from the rest of the crowd cjg, job Well Done !! :thumbsup: :tipup:

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:24 PM »
To start with, All the pics are of beautiful craftsmanship, and to be proud of!!! :bow: :thumbsup:  Another source of prime wood is from your local hardwood flooring installer. If he'll help you and you're not in too much of a hurry, you can get most of the recommended woods for little or nothing. I have all the wood parts for 12-15 all cut in my hardside-turned-storage, in cedar, brazillian cherry, and white oak just waiting for the motivation and metal parts to complete. Your ideas and pics are helping! ;) ;D
  I agree with Surf, the curved bows on CJD's are exceptional

I'm also a big fan of Helmsman Spar for anything that needs to be durable.
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • gimme back that fillet o fish
« Reply #39 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:39 AM »
use some nice merranti mahagony  before you seal them make sure you use a grain filler . if you dont you could put several coats on it and it would still look and feel the same.
Chepi

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:09 AM »
Another realatively inexpensive route is to visit a local business that has wood pallets.
Some have very good oak or other hardwoods... Cut and rip your pieces, then dry in a cool basement for a bit....I ran mine through a planer and then cut to length, all recycled parts from an old set of High flags...Used five coats of hand rubbed boiled linseed oil, and then a light coat of paraffin. Haven't done a thing to them except use in four years, seems to be holding up well...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.