The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This years bait trapping thread  (Read 94540 times)

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: This years bait trapping thread
« Reply #720 on: Oct 29, 2016, 01:25 PM »
I've been told by experts that you need dark, natural looking smelts when trolling for salmon in the spring. So paint the outside of your bucket black
or if you keep them in a cooler keep the cover closed. Many bait dealers have white tanks so  think about that.
For icefishing I don't think it makes any difference . The type of bait you are using may not be native to the water you are fishing anyway.
I think its all about taste. Some bait tastes better than others.

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #721 on: Oct 30, 2016, 05:50 AM »
I've been told by experts that you need dark, natural looking smelts when trolling for salmon in the spring. So paint the outside of your bucket black
or if you keep them in a cooler keep the cover closed. Many bait dealers have white tanks so  think about that.
For icefishing I don't think it makes any difference . The type of bait you are using may not be native to the water you are fishing anyway.
I think its all about taste. Some bait tastes better than others.

??? ??? ???

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #722 on: Nov 07, 2016, 12:32 PM »
anyone started trapping yet?

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #723 on: Nov 07, 2016, 03:45 PM »
I have, got almost 5 dozen in our 1st pull with some nice size to them. I could be a good year for us

Offline tonyjackson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #724 on: Nov 07, 2016, 07:25 PM »

I started early. Pulled about 10 dozen or so out of a fire pond near work.  Should hold me over for most of the season. Hopefully I can actually spend some time on the ice this year and I run out ;)

Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #725 on: Nov 21, 2016, 09:07 AM »
Got my new stainless steel tank in and new dock ! Got two tanks now in the brook. Does not freeze all winter. These are my overflow tanks and my new tank at home is done pic's to follow. these tanks should hold 700 and that will be good. ;D

[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #726 on: Nov 28, 2016, 04:58 PM »
Pulled my first trap today for 3 doz, its coming!

Offline Smokum870

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #727 on: Dec 09, 2016, 06:51 AM »
tanks are getting set up this weekend, traps will be out sunday morning.

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #728 on: Dec 09, 2016, 11:44 AM »
I went on a small pond today bout 2 inches of ice didn't get far bout 2fow put trap in just under ice should I expect any good results or wait til I can go deeper

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #729 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:11 PM »
I bought a 5 ft ice chisel so I can trap bait under the ice.I have about 4 doz shiners so far. I bought a $26 pump ,aerator, sprayer and set it up in a cooler in my garage.I have been getting 2 types of bait in my trap. One kind is a shiner the other type are shorter and fatter. Maybe a creek chub.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #730 on: Dec 22, 2016, 10:04 AM »
Got my new stainless steel tank in and new dock ! Got two tanks now in the brook. Does not freeze all winter. These are my overflow tanks and my new tank at home is done pic's to follow. these tanks should hold 700 and that will be good. ;D

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
What do you need bait for? From what I gathered they just jumped out of the hole you were fishing from
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #731 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:36 AM »
What do you need bait for? From what I gathered they just jumped out of the hole you were fishing from
Really don't other than a little tip meat! everybody else does... :thumbsup:
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline Mainah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #732 on: Dec 27, 2016, 01:48 PM »
I've trapped 100 and used 90! I need more ponds to trap!
I don't do drugs or bottles... fishing takes all my money!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #733 on: Mar 11, 2017, 08:20 PM »
I know where there are a couple of hot tubs with bad pumps. I wonder if anyone has ever though about using a complete hot tub.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #734 on: Nov 05, 2017, 04:21 PM »
I currently have 30 dz shiners of various sizes up 5"  I need more small shiners for crappie and perch fishing.  pond that I catch them from has a lot in there. I have tried trapping but no luck. yes - galvi trap. I have tried floating the trap just below the surface, suspended about 9" from surface and on the bottom. all in the same place that I catch them one at a time by rod and reel using worm and bread dough. hook is small enough to catch the size that I need. Can't figure out why they wont go into trap. I would rather be able to trap them to minimize the trips to this pond as it is a 1/2 mile hike up and down hills on a rocky tote road and at 65 yrs old, it's getting to be a tough hike. no motorized vehicles allowed.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #735 on: Nov 06, 2017, 05:47 AM »
Wow, this thread is still active! Ok, so it's a little warm today (low 60's), but I am going to drop my traps anyway.  Time to start preparing for the awesomeness that lies ahead!
I fish.                                                         

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #736 on: Nov 07, 2017, 11:57 AM »
I currently have 30 dz shiners of various sizes up 5"  I need more small shiners for crappie and perch fishing.  pond that I catch them from has a lot in there. I have tried trapping but no luck. yes - galvi trap. I have tried floating the trap just below the surface, suspended about 9" from surface and on the bottom. all in the same place that I catch them one at a time by rod and reel using worm and bread dough. hook is small enough to catch the size that I need. Can't figure out why they wont go into trap. I would rather be able to trap them to minimize the trips to this pond as it is a 1/2 mile hike up and down hills on a rocky tote road and at 65 yrs old, it's getting to be a tough hike. no motorized vehicles allowed.

Try a 3'X3' pull net ( think 4' square is the max size allowed in mass).... if you can get them with rod and reel you'll be able to get them to come into the net using small dough balls... I use a cheap fighting belt and an 8' length of 3/4" conduit with a rope attached to the top.... once the ice is safe you can cut a big enough hole with a chain saw to drop the net as well...those 2 methods have worked for me for 50 years or more..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #737 on: Nov 07, 2017, 01:37 PM »
Try a 3'X3' pull net ( think 4' square is the max size allowed in mass).... if you can get them with rod and reel you'll be able to get them to come into the net using small dough balls... I use a cheap fighting belt and an 8' length of 3/4" conduit with a rope attached to the top.... once the ice is safe you can cut a big enough hole with a chain saw to drop the net as well...those 2 methods have worked for me for 50 years or more..
We aren't allowed to net bait, just dip for smelt. Only traps are allowed (not sure about bait dealer) for getting out baitfish.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #738 on: Nov 07, 2017, 05:45 PM »
Went again this morning. This time, without the trap. Oak leaves floating all over my spot. used bread dough. fished 3 1/2 hrs. Dropping the baited hook in the small holes in the raft of leaves. Didn't look like I had that many. Counted them out at home as I netted them out of the bucket. 94. Kept only the ones that I was looking for. Tossed back the ones that were over 3".

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #739 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:59 AM »
Started trapping a few this week. I upgraded my bait tank to a chest freezer with external gravity filter. It's kept in my semi-heated basement. The freezer seems to get pretty warm almost hot to the touch on the outside when its cooling down the water. Is this normal? Wondering if I should set it on a timer to give it a break every now and then. What temp do folks like for keeping shiners/dace?

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #740 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:27 AM »
Shiners and dace can tolerate warm water much better than smelt. If the temperature of your basement is under 60 degrees you shouldn't need to cool the water. Aeration, filtration and regular partial water changes should be enough to keep losses quite low. I would recommend a test kit for amonia. When you test the water, take the sample from the bottom of the tank. In time you will know when the water needs changing by how the fish behave. They tend to hang out near the bottom of the tank in healthy water conditions. When they are near the surface it usually means something's not good.

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #741 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:48 AM »
I agree with husky, just want to make sure before you use them to let the shiners acclimate to the cold water.  You can do this by taking your bucket filling it water and leaving it outside with your shiners.  Honestly with a chest freezer tank in the winter, if you can leave it outside and be covered thats the best.  You can get a little tank heater and put that on a timer.  Usually keeps the water really cold with minimal freezing and you dont have to acclimate your shiners before using them.  With really cold water it also helps keep the tank water quality in the optimal ranges.  But if you have to keep it in the basement, then maybe throwing in some big ice pack to help keep the water cool (Ie a couple of gallon water jugs rotated).  The thing is that the compressors are designed to keep air cold, and water holds a lot more energy than air, so in order to cool everything to the temp the thermostat is looking for, it could put a lot of strain, thus heating up the compressor motor.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #742 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Thanks. I tried keeping them the last few years in a stock tank and the water quality just suffered.  My basement is too warm.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #743 on: Nov 17, 2017, 05:11 PM »
last tome I kept them in the basement, they came down with a white fungus and they all died before I could use them. Following year, I put the tank outside. boxed it in and added 2" foam insulation with a hinged lid. added a heater for those super cold  days.
T date, I still have one left over which has retired to the fishtank.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #744 on: Nov 22, 2017, 05:28 PM »
ive used sure life better bait additive for over 20 years with great results. have a old freezer in my garage w/ a homemade filter system. have had dace in there since july. never changed water only filter material when its dirty. no loses. before i add smelts i swap out 1/2 the water at the beg. of the season and its good till' spring with barely any losses. if they do die its from being hooked. got a small pond heater i plug in when it gets below 0.

Offline Therustycrab4343

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #745 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:52 PM »
First year my shed is heated I'm very concerned but have a plan to freeze 4 1 gallon jugs and rotate them daily so 2 gallons or so will be a frozen ice chunk. It's my only option

Offline Chiefer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #746 on: Nov 23, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Started trapping a few this week. I upgraded my bait tank to a chest freezer with external gravity filter. It's kept in my semi-heated basement. The freezer seems to get pretty warm almost hot to the touch on the outside when its cooling down the water. Is this normal? Wondering if I should set it on a timer to give it a break every now and then. What temp do folks like for keeping shiners/dace?

MTW, this is likely the condenser coil trying to dump all of the heat to the air in your basement.  It is normal, though it is a sign of just how much work your freezer is doing.  You could cut an access hatch to expose the condenser and allow it to dump heat more easily.  Just be careful to not damage the coil.  Really like the YouTube channel, btw.

Chiefer

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #747 on: Dec 07, 2017, 08:30 PM »
where'd they go? they seem to have disappeared from my spot. In Oct and first of Nov, I had no problem catching them. used galvi trap floating just under the surface and then adjusted to various depths. only got a few in the trap in Oct. all the rest that I have gotten were caught on rod/reel. the place was barren as of 2nd week of Nov. This happened last year too. where did they go?

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #748 on: Dec 11, 2017, 12:07 PM »
where'd they go? they seem to have disappeared from my spot. In Oct and first of Nov, I had no problem catching them. used galvi trap floating just under the surface and then adjusted to various depths. only got a few in the trap in Oct. all the rest that I have gotten were caught on rod/reel. the place was barren as of 2nd week of Nov. This happened last year too. where did they go?

The water has turned over. The warm water fish are now concentrated in the warmer waters. Mostly the warm water after the fall turnover is going to be at the bottom of the depths.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #749 on: Dec 11, 2017, 06:05 PM »
tried setting the trap on the bottom as well and not even a bluegill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.